Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Fabulous clearence this evening to the NE after a very wet afternoon..Very clear air with shower cumulus bathed in the pink light of the setting sun very much an arctic sunset reminiscent of winter in the middle of summer. Currently 9c and very soggy underfoot..

Posted

View to the north at midnight last night .P7050093.JPGBeen very few clearer nights for a while to witness the constant twilight.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Has everybody done themselves in due to lack of summer - or have you all emigrated? I wish you'd come in for me...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I think most of us have been spending too much time in the angry EU referendum thread....

No bad weather up here tho - nice and warm and mostly sunny today. Tho the weekend looks crap to be honest! And guess what, we're away camping up north soon.

• Like 1

Posted

Glad I spent a decent chunk of May on the West coast, pretty decent spells of weather and while it was dry here in Inverness, it was frequently cloudy with a cold wind of the Moray Firth! Sunday's charts... well I've seen some chatter online about cross equator jetstream flows and how the jetstreams are far beyond their normal bounds with some rather odd stuff happening with the QBO in a manor that could reduce seasonality. Ugh, our climate is close enough to perpetual autumn as it is. :nonono:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

If we had a referendum asking us to vote for Scotland to be towed to the Canaries, that would be a far better idea.. England would agree and so would I !

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, mardatha said:

If we had a referendum asking us to vote for Scotland to be towed to the Canaries, that would be a far better idea.. England would agree and so would I !

Only if it can be towed far North for winter.

• Like 5

Posted

Well the Scottish monsoon season has arrived  as these  last two nights have been much warmer than recently. But its the  high humidity during the day which is the big change along with the tropical rainfall in the afternoons thats really depressing when a bit of haymaking weather woud be most welcome. It looks like a repeat of last summer when most of the  the hay was made in August. Currently 14.5c Most years we would expect to complete haymaking by the end of July with exceptions like 2013/1975 or the year of our marriage 1983 when it was done by the end of the first week in July. Planning of our wedding hinged on it occuring "after the hay and before the harvest " which in 1983 was mid August.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Not sure what to say as it's been a fairly mixed and unremarkable period of weather recently. No real sign of summer arriving that I've heard of but I've not been watching the models. Neither has it been awful as I've always found times when I can get the grass cut and potter in the garden, or get some of the external woodwork on the house painted (sometimes between showers).

Posted

The next two weeks at least look like being better than the last 2-3 weeks. 

I don't think it's hit 20c since early June (although I believe we've had lots of near misses), 20c isn't too ambitious. 

• Like 2

Posted

1 or 2 nasty showers around at the moment. They won't last forever though

Posted

A number of them scattered about. Could see on telly from Royal Troon a decent Anvil popping up to the North beyond the other clouds.. I've been watching all possible forecasts to see if we will even get a spell in the warm sector and sadly this isn't going to happen might for a spell behind the Warm Front on Friday but looks likely 24 hours later the cold front will push through bringing today's conditions back.. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

Best day of the month so far.. Great day for sunshine with fair weather cumulus clouds this afternoon.. This warm front moving in but a hazy few hours there but pleasant evening. Max of 18c today but felt nice in the sun..

Have to agree with you. Lovely afternoon although the high cloud well and truly pushed in. Tomorrow be VERY different

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Would we not be better renaming this thread ..

Scotland-Weather Chat- Extended Autumn 2015..on and on and on....

Given that Winter was relatively pants... Spring did make an appearance but Summer has been non existent ( again):fool:

Posted

July has been pretty non-descript here so far, as the statistics bear out. Still looking to crack 22c at Leuchars this summer which is quite unusual by mid-July. Got a decent chance of doing so in the coming week with higher uppers coming in, just need some sun to go with it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Howling winds and horizontal rain here, same as yesterday. Welcome to a delightful Skye summer!

Posted

Heard there's heat on the way.........................:rofl:

Does look hotting up particulairy on Tuesday but this time the heat might well end up coming with the humidity and then the inevitable flash and bangs...................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

After a good May and June, with lots of sunshine and a spell of warmth... Summer left for several weeks. 

Not really wet but showers most days, limited sunshine and cool temps <18c quite often. 

Monday looks 19/20c and humid, Tuesday is the main event with high 20s possible here(v v humid), then low-mid 20s and wet with tropical humidity Wednesday, before the atlantic rolls in.

I'll take it! 

Hopefully high pressure moves in for a bit before the end of this month or at the worst say mid-August and we can at least say this poor spell has been sandwiched by  two good spells.

Well overdue a good August. Abnormaly warm Septembers are nice but the lack of daylight and (therefore) actual warmth outwith 12-2pm is reduced significantly.

• Like 1

Posted

I remember in 2005 going to the Caribbean (narrowly avoided a strengthening Catrina sp?) and was 32/33 for the 3 weeks we went. Came back and we were sweating buckets back here as it was mid-twenties but SO humid.

Tuesday is (according to the overly cautious met office) forecast to be  26c with a feels like of 28c. That's rank. Lowest the humidity gets is in the 60%s.

Tuesday into Wednesday a 'low' overnight of 19c with a humidity of 89%. Great. 

I enjoy the heat. I like humidity at times. However, such a sudden change is not so good.

I'll not complain as it has been far too chilly this summer for my liking but can't say this short blast of heat will be pleasant.

Seems like tentative signs (longer-term) that we might see conditions improve, even for us lot. 

As ever, the NW do best in May/June, not so much now. They will be last to see an improvement if it even occurs.

Posted

Another wet morning in spite of a better looking day forecast on here. Looks as though most of the hay will be made in August as this month turns into a very wet one.Every crop in field and garden is looking for sunshine and neighbours are saying their tomatoes in greenhouses are not ripening. Currently very humid and 18c

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Another wet morning in spite of a better looking day forecast on here. Looks as though most of the hay will be made in August as this month turns into a very wet one.Every crop in field and garden is looking for sunshine and neighbours are saying their tomatoes in greenhouses are not ripening. Currently very humid and 18c

Not good NL.

I noticed someone getting a second cut of silage yesterday down nearer the solway firth.

We got part of out field cut and bailed (admittedly for haylage, not hay) about 2 weeks ago. We left the big field until a better dry slot (perhaps wishful thinking) so idk when that will be.

Grass growth has slowed significantly but that is not unusual really as we head away from the May/June peak.

The mid-term forecasted Greenland high is a bit of a worry. That normally spells disaster unless it is sufficiently west -NAO and the trough therefore misses us. The opposite of what i want as sods law will mean the Greenland high will fly away come October and we'll get mild SWlys (cries).

Anyway, start of this warm snap.

Humid, warm and cloudy.

21.3c, low 80% humidity.

The kind of day where you do any exercise and you sweat. 

Typical British summer. Either cold or oppressively humid. Ewww (but i'll take the heat over the cold any day of the week)

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Almost feels like summer out there. 23c here in St Andrews under partly sunny skies.

Posted

Agreed Hawesy,

24.4c warm with intermittent sunshine. Humid with even spots of rain at times.

Lovely to chill in but would not like to be working in it