Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Back at work after 3 lovely days in Grantown on Spey, Sunday was especially good. Aberdeen certainly cooler by comparison although it has been OK today. Started misty, warmed up once that burned off, but clouding over now.

My folks are still in Speyside and reported earlier being sat indoors at Loch Insh watching the thunder and lightning. I see the rail line is currently closed around Dalwninnie as a result.

Posted

Not as warm as yesterday but a high of 24C is excellent as this spell continues to 10 days. It got quite cloudy earlier as it threatened to rain though in the end there was no chance for catching any thundery downpours. It's now clear again with a fantastic warm, summer night.

Posted

Threatened to rain around 11am this morning and it was a spot onto the car windscreen. I didn't need to use the wipers once.. Sun came back out afterwards but there was Thundery outbreaks over South Lanarkshire so not far away.. This evening turned out nice and distant Anvils could be seen North East and East from Glasgow..

Posted

Not a peep last night, just a clear warm evening. A little cooler today with lots of cloud.

Moon setting last night

DSCF1730.JPG

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 3

Posted

Back to square one with sun and not much cloud. Got to admit looking forward to the upcoming unsettled spell. Been far too long since we had decent rain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Exteremely muggy afternoon. Very sweaty. 

Topped at 22.4c but with the humidity it felt much warmer...

Narrowly missed a huge storm, it travelled about 10 miles to my East. Spits were felt but the real rain was a bit away, the wall of water very visible though and thunder claps were heard too.

One final nice day tomorrow it would seem...

Posted

Change today still dry but a lot more cloud around still warm too it's not going to last

Posted
On 06/06/2016 at 19:02, Hawesy said:

Sounds lovely! Unfortunately the continued dominance of high pressure to the north and the easterly regime means us east coasters are not sharing the warmth. Just 12c here despite some sun this afternoon. Haar is back again, central heating back on too!

Maximum of 16c here yesterday with the same wind off the sea, much warmer this morning and very humid,sunny from early on and currently 17c post from 2 days ago which I did not submit!!!!!

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Big change today a light SW wind and the temperature is already 21c. Hazy sunshine and feeling very humid

Posted

Humid and dull all day will be nice to get some rain as ground now very dry/dusty and crops starting to show signs of drought. Hope it remembers to stop later on next week Currently 17c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Back to the dreich midge fest that is Summer on Skye! This year 's batch is particularly vicious and they are having an absolute feast on the towrists. Not nearly enough of a breeze to send the wee buggers to ground,this is just perfect for them! A lady towrist asked me the other day where was the best place to go in Skye to avoid the midges..... my reply..... nowhere! Underground might do the trick,but other wise wear a full midge suit and drink whisky. Works fine for me!

Posted

When I holidayed in Skye a few years back we stayed up in the NE corner overlooking Kilmaluag Bay. That would have been Sept time but we encountered very few midges up in that part of Skye. Maybe the breeze played a part, or maybe just lucky!

• Like 1

Posted

Saw that orange thing called the sun for the first time since thursday today................didn't last though back to drizzly stuff

Posted

Just back from a few days in sunny Toronto to this terrible weather. 25mm of rain and a max of 13c here in NE Fife today. Haar too. Looks like we will finally lose the easterly by the weekend. Can't come soon enough!

Posted

Very wet, 16mm of rain today and still going, I think that's more than we probably had for all of May.

Posted

Another 18+mm of rain between midnight and 8am this morning at my house and showing little sign of stopping. Weather station recorded something like 22mm for the whole of May. 

At least the grass in my front garden was looking greener this morning. 

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Been fairly wet in the last twenty four hours although it has eased in the last few hours. Ground was very dry and this rain has really helped and has probably been worth thousands of pounds to the farm buisness as crops/grass were showing signs of drought stress. Currently 10c.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, doctormog said:

Still raining and there now reports of localised surface water flooding on roads etc. A thoroughly vile spell of weather.

47.7mm of rain by my gauge, which is pretty impressive. Showing no signs of letting up either.

River Don was out of it's banks and into the fields at the bottom of my road when I came home from work. Hopefully not get too high as the houses down that end of the street are still getting finished off after the flood damage in Jan. The fact it's been pretty dry recently will probably help hold the water in the soil for a bit rather than run straight into the river systems.

Posted

It's been rather like a usual Scottish summer, here, in the Eastern Pyrenees for the past three days. 

Occasional light rain, sunny intervals, breezy, temps of around 13 - 16c. -  torrential downpours this afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, ciel said:

It's been rather like a usual Scottish summer, here, in the Eastern Pyrenees for the past three days. 

Occasional light rain, sunny intervals, breezy, temps of around 13 - 16c. -  torrential downpours this afternoon.

Aye, Ciel...But, don't forget: one fine day in the Heelands is worth three down here? After twenty-one years spent up there, I now have hay fever - there's sod-all but birch and pine up there...But, here, there's God-knows-what!:D

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

But, here, there's God-knows-what!:D

Tho' I've had a moan about the weather, when the sky clears at night here, there is no observable light pollution and the night sky is  really bright. I've had lovely views of Mars rising between two pine trees at the foot of the "garden".

At home, at night, there is a very slight pinkish glow in the sky from the Aberdeen lights which takes the edge of absolute darkness.

But  the Nightingale singing through the rain, here, the frogs croaking and the Oriole warbling makes it a holiday from home,.

Grass pollen gives me sneezes too.

Edited by ciel
Another comment:

Posted

Another very poor June day, cloudy and cool although the rain earlier has now died out. Temperatures running about 1.5c below average for the month so far over here. Fortunately it looks like the worst is now behind us and as the winds turn to the west over the next few days (finally) fortunes will be reversed and it will turn brighter and warmer for those of us on the east coast.