Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

Inland Aboye has got above 21C but Dyce only just managed to breach 15C before flatlining. I'm assuming the latter is due to an Easterly breeze off the North Sea.

Awesome day again. Bizarre to think that a week ago we had a couple of inches of snow lying outside.

First 21c of the year with blue skies and a moderate SE wind.A lot of swallows and sandmartins arrived today and the farm steading is just alive with them.Everything getting greener but still feeding cattle and the forecast lower night time temperatures will not help in the next week or so. First cut silage will certainly be into June.

• Like 2

13c the high here. Felt okay in sheltered sunshine but a nagging breeze in the shade. At least the haar has stayed away (so far)!

1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

First 21c of the year with blue skies and a moderate SE wind.A lot of swallows and sandmartins arrived today and the farm steading is just alive with them.Everything getting greener but still feeding cattle and the forecast lower night time temperatures will not help in the next week or so. First cut silage will certainly be into June.

Mum was saying when she went down south to Gloucester area that the grass was ready for a first cut! Crazy really...

There are differences within Scotland too. For example, last Friday the daffodils were coming/in bloom at Stirling uni. Yesterday in Auchinleck area the daffodils were wilting/dying off. Here, we don't have any left. All the ones in south facing or normal locations are long since gone, north facing ones are maybe still just about alive.

Great day here, breeze keeping it 'pleasantly warm' as opposed to uncomfortable. Topped out at 24.3c.

First 24c of the year... Not bad for quite early on :)

Still sunny now I know Sun was already up at half past 5 in the morning so we're clearly in the 15 hours plus of sun days

2 minutes ago, Harve said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skye#Climate

Hottest day of all time on Skye no?

It didn't feel *that* hot. I suppose I've just been spoilt by spending my last two summers in Belgium.

Maybe the breeze tempered it a bit? Was really warm but the breeze did make it feel cooler

Ripper again although like yesterday breeze just tampering it so it a comfortable heat rather than humid

Pleasantly warm day again, 22.7c. 

Just perfect! 

Same again tomorrow... Could get used to this. 

Unfortunately, gone by Friday. 

Everything looks lovely and so ripe. Rodadendren (how you say it, not spell it) bush/tree is a bright pink with it's flowers. Can be seen from the village over a mile away.... All the bumble bees grab the nectar too. 

Love this time of year!

Another 21c with brilliant blue skies and a fabulous sunset. However this evening with the clear sky temperature fell fast and is now 8c and still falling. Felt really cold when I came in from the garden about an hour ago.

Breezy and bright this morning, around 9c at present.  

I noticed the oilseed rape was almost in full bloom yesterday evening.

Slightly more high cloud around today but still sunny and breezy

Wind if anything easing and high cloud melted away could get used to this

I see Scotland recorded both the hottest and coldest temps in the UK yesterday.

• Like 4

The tourists and West Highland Way walkers have been completely bamboozled by the ski tourers and snowboarders in the Glencoe Carpark and outside the Cafe at the end of the day the past few days. Instinct might be that the snow would be a disgusting slush puppy, but the Main Basin in particular has been pretty much perfect smooth fast crunchy granular Spring Snow - you know it's proper Spring Snow (or Corn as they call it in California) when the snow gets better to ski on the hotter it gets (or the heavier the rain gets in naff weather)! 

The reason is the large granular snow crystals allow for rapid draining of meltwater (or rain),  this in turn rounds the snow crystals making the surface faster to ski on. the warm wind though melting more snow is also drying the surface of the snowpack - some snow will be getting lost to sublimation too in the dry air. Shame the Main Basin T-bar isn't running, though it if was we'd probably have moguls the size of small cars by now, where as those prepared to hike get perfect smooth snow! 

DSC04172.jpg

• Like 5

Feels the warmest day of the year at my location, around 20c.  The breeze is milder. Mr ciel is getting the barbecue out as I write to catch the last of this fine spell.

Edited by ciel

A day of contrasts started out foggy and about 7c at 6.00am and then cleared about midday to blue skies sunshine and a maximum of 16c about 2.30pm. This evening there is now a moderate N wind  clear skies and the temperature has fallen to 4c which feels very cold this evening.I am quite surprised at how low it is now

Welcome back Autumn! 7c, grey and drizzling! Pish!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Welcome back Autumn! 7c, grey and drizzling! Pish!

It's dry here in Inverclyde but a lot cooler than recently. We've had five days in a row of 20C or more, when I go back to work I'll lie and say I was in Spain as I am ten shades darker. It was a decent spell of weather for any time of year let alone the first half of May. 

• Like 1

As expected the cold front has done what it said on the tin. Much colder than recently with a little drizzle. What a change from the last few days

• Like 1

No drizzle here but noticeably cooler, even in an area that didn't enjoy the highs that some others were getting. Still, it's been a decent spell for the last few days. Looking on the bright side for me, if not NL, maybe my grass will stop shooting up so quickly. It's been like a sudden release of pent up growth in the last week.

• Like 1

Yes a clearance to an Arctic sky came across the Firth this morning with few small wintry looking shower clouds following on a fresh N wind.  Overnight we had some light rain/drizzle to lay the dust. Currently 8c

A fantastic warm spell though with good  grass in front of the cattle,most of the trees bursting into leaf and the spring barley greening up the fields in just two days.

I wonder how nutritional  the grass  is as they all came for the fresh bale of silage this morning. They will soon eat it down as we appear to be heading for a spell of below growing temperatures overnight .

• Like 1