Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Another good day ,wrapped some lovely dry  hayledge today,wintering sheep from Skye arrived and bit more of the beech hedge cut. Need a good shower now with all the itchy contents of the hedge showering down on me. Seem to be missing all the rain around just now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

And what a lovely day it is! Sunshine and still some warmth there too. Looks like we're in for a drenching over the next few days along with some blustery breezes. That, however, is nothing to what's coming our way on Tuesday. First of the Big Ones! Gusts up to 76mph is not a light breeze! It may downgrade off course, but I'll be keeping a close eye on that one. And on a lighter note, I have made it into this years Storm names, although I appreciate that we may not get as far along the list to meet Louise!! :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Splendid day on a very boring bit of the very boring Monaliadh today.  Certainly not summer temperatures on the tops any more, but the sun was wonderful.

• Like 1

Posted

Another smashing day here too after a shower overnight.Last of silage bales in without tracking the fields and several car loads of rubbish to recycling centre.Cut a bit more of hedge tonight,just the tops left to do.Fine day for walking round pregnant cows and Skye lambs are settling in well basking in the sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted

Was fairly calm this evening then all of a sudden very heavy rain.. Got a bit lighter there but still pouring.. This is an Occluded Front coming through but wasn't expecting a sudden downpour.. To be a rotten weekend forecast persistent rain for Saturday and heavy showers following it on Sunday..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Another attempt with similar failings... 

Well I liked it.

Temp down to 3.6C at home this morning as I was making breakfast so feeling much more autumnal than of late. Lots of blue sky around at the moment with a bit of hazy high cloud.

It's been a decent enough week weather wise with plenty of broken sunshine, mild temperatures and not much rain. A little boring though I must admit and I'm sort of yearning for a good old autumn storm with plenty of wind and rain (but not too much of either). Might be hints we get something more like that next week but the models seem to be in disagreement currently.

Posted

Blawin' a wee bit o' a hooley up here just now.I forecast a short working day and me home soon with big fire on and tea and biccies!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Looking a bit 'hoolie - ish' . Exit dormant phase - hello Atlantic regime, base heights lingering out east - interesting...

PPVG89.gif

• Like 1

hi all just a quick one.... currently living in the peak district but always looking to increase the snow chances for winter... the wife has found a property in a place called Strathdon.. having done some research it would appear to be a good prospect for a winter lover like myself.... any more thoughts on great places to relocate to in Scotland that are really good for snow... ive looked into Wanlockhead but no places up for grabs... cheers all..

Edited by Guest

Posted
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

hi all just a quick one.... currently living in the peak district but always looking to increase the snow chances for winter... the wife has found a property in a place called Strathdon.. having done some research it would appear to be a good prospect for a winter lover like myself.... any more thoughts on great places to relocate to in Scotland that are really good for snow... ive looked into Wanlockhead but no places up for grabs... cheers all..

Could try writing to Wyvis Estate and ask about leasing a patch of the ben on the north side, say about 900m up, don't forget the option for igloo if it's a hard winter.

Failing that try Lapland, much better chance of a snowy winter.  Our winter's have been flushed down the pan by burning hydrocarbons so don't expect winter wonderland.

Where's Big Innes to improve my humour with some plum-related banter when I need him?

Posted
9 hours ago, More Snow said:

Strathdon wouldn't be a bad choice but it is rather, ehm, isolated so you'd need to be prepared for that. At a rough guess it could be an hours drive or more to the nearest decent sized supermarket. Lovely area though and not too far from where I am. If you ski then Lecht will be close by and both Glenshee and Cairngorm within day trip range. 

Another place to consider would be around the Aviemore area, especially anywhere with a bit of extra height. 

Posted

Very very windy but dry, never got hedge trimmimgs raked up but wind has made a fine job of piling  most of them into drifts !!  and the rest are in the Moray Firth.

A  day for inside jobs with all the dust blowing about.  Glad harvest done real equinoxial gale today.

• Like 4

Posted

At 6.30 this morning we'd had 84.7mm of rain. By the time I get home that'll easily be over 100mm. Strongest wind gust recorded was a mere 43.4 mph. Rubbish! Looks like I may have to upgrade to a more accurate anemometer! Rain still going sideways, will be an interesting drive home later on!

Oh, and it was 14.7c at 8.45 this morning! Bleh!!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 1

Posted

Staying dry here so far, looks as if the rain is dying out on the mountains to the West. Fairly mild, cloudy and quite breezy.

Posted

Ms HC went boating which seemed a bit :shok: looking at the trees flapping around this morning - no bother though, the wind died down late morning.

We got 19C mostof the day too - pretty warm for late September I spose but nothing unusual. 

• Like 1

Posted

Down at neighbours writing this as no phone or internet again fourth time this year.   BT engineer out yesterday pm(2 hours after reporting fault and diverting all calls to my mobile some will get through in spite of the thick walls) and says they will have to dig up cable again The lightning from this summer must be costing them a fortune up here.Overcast but dry currently and 11c with just a small amount of rain overnight.

Posted

And as predicted yesterday we had 138mm of rain by 2.30pm, that's over a 24 hour period. Now that's an awful lot of wet! Calmer today with even the sun keeking oot to say hello! 

Posted

A blustery old day here with bits of all sorts including a nice rainbow  split.jpg   that eliminated everyting beyond Eathie.

As usual, mid-week gales are mellowed down slightly as they approach - no bad thing...

• Like 1

Posted

Temp of 2.8C at 7:30am this morning, and probably an overnight low of 2.5C (I need to get back in the habit of resetting the max/min on my weather station). No evidence of any frost but we're heading in that direction.

The weekend was a bit of a mixed bag. Saturday was cloudy, breezy but not too wet. Sunday was a better day overall with it feeling warm at times in the sunny spells but I also got caught in a rain shower in the afternoon whilst walking the dog.

This morning it's bright and sunny with some light broken cloud and a gentle breeze.

Hi there, first time posting here but I though it would be nice to share my current projects. My raspberry pi zero is currently running a twitter bot that posts my local weather (Lanark, South Lanarkshire) to my twitter account along with the current trend for Glasgow and a GIF image that it generates from 18 images that it captures via a USB webcam, the script also updates the twitter header to the NASA image of the day, the link to the twitter account is https://twitter.com/Killer_wolf54 so feel free to check it out (I suggest scrolling down a bit to see some better images as the weather hasn't been to great here recently, pictures provided below are of the Raspberry Pi Zero with some status lights and a speaker and the USB webcam it is connected to.

.14454034_967995806661550_713548235_o.jpg14453938_967995883328209_1452709225_o.jpg

My other project is a wall mounted Raspberry Pi 3 with a 3.2" display that displays the current weather data, along with any current met office weather warnings and the top 2 latest news articles from BBC news, pictures are again provided below.

14423972_967257033402094_892298672_o.jpg14489649_968526386608492_512609715_o.jpg

Both these scripts are written in a programming language known as python so if there are any other programmers interested I would be happy to share my code and any suggestion for features I could implement or even a completely different project I could do would bee much appreciated, thanks. - John

• Like 4