Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The sun did finally break through yesterday and the temp climbed into the low 20s so very pleasant. It's stayed dry so far today but the rain is on it's way, very hazy though despite a breeze strong enough that you'd think it'd disperse any mist.

Posted

Very wet morning but brighter and breezy in the late afternoon and thankfully much fresher. Earlier in the evening saw a most unusual looking two jet formation very low and one stacked above the other heading west to Inverness.They were also black in colour, someone playing with their new toys?

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
39 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Very wet morning but brighter and breezy in the late afternoon and thankfully much fresher. Earlier in the evening saw a most unusual looking two jet formation very low and one stacked above the other heading west to Inverness.They were also black in colour, someone playing with their new toys?

Would it be these new toys: I think they are black and if flying in fancy formation, might be display trials.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3670470/Top-gun-Amazing-pictures-Britain-s-new-supersonic-F35-stealth-fighter-jet-going-paces-North-Sea.html

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Would it be these new toys: I think they are black and if flying in fancy formation, might be display trials.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3670470/Top-gun-Amazing-pictures-Britain-s-new-supersonic-F35-stealth-fighter-jet-going-paces-North-Sea.html

Absolutely what young Mr Northernlights and I saw this evening. Thank you

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
25 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Absolutely what young Mr Northernlights and I saw this evening. Thank you

They were over here too - I looked up because they sounded unlike the usual Dalcross Easyjet / helicopter / small two-seaters jobbies. Very unlike!!  Gosh, what a waste of money.

Remarkably warm, the last few mornings - was 19C at 7:25 today, which would have been unusual in June or July, never mind September.  Very humid too, and this with the warmth is messing up the late plums - there's more rotten ones than in previous years.  After having the greens wiped out by Cabbage White caterpillars and slugs and snails chomping the beans, it doesn't seem a very successful year for the veg. Apart from gooseberries and blackcurrants, which ripened at the right time in July. My current dilemma is whether to take an allotment soon for next year...

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

They were over here too - I looked up because they sounded unlike the usual Dalcross Easyjet / helicopter / small two-seaters jobbies. Very unlike!!  Gosh, what a waste of money.

Remarkably warm, the last few mornings - was 19C at 7:25 today, which would have been unusual in June or July, never mind September.  Very humid too, and this with the warmth is messing up the late plums - there's more rotten ones than in previous years.  After having the greens wiped out by Cabbage White caterpillars and slugs and snails chomping the beans, it doesn't seem a very successful year for the veg. Apart from gooseberries and blackcurrants, which ripened at the right time in July. My current dilemma is whether to take an allotment soon for next year...

Greens under attack here too even under netting but mainly from Diamond Backed Moth  (from the Medditteranean after the mild winter ?) caterpillars some of which were small enough to get through the netting holes.Had to spray field turnips 3 times to keep on top of them.Agronomist said they seek out brassicas so well that even a remote field of turnips up the hill near Newtonmore was infected. Parsnips too succumbed to insect attack.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Greens under attack here too even under netting but mainly from Diamond Backed Moth  (from the Medditteranean after the mild winter ?) caterpillars some of which were small enough to get through the netting holes.Had to spray field turnips 3 times to keep on top of them.Agronomist said they seek out brassicas so well that even a remote field of turnips up the hill near Newtonmore was infected. Parsnips too succumbed to insect attack.

Climate change? No, won't affect me.........

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Saw one go through it's paces at Farnborough the day I was down there packing up. Very impressive, but very, very loud. I'd also agree on the 'waste of money' aspect no matter how impressive they are.

My garden seems to have been relatively pest free this year. I've had the odd huge snail, but very few slugs compared to recent years. Runner beans seem to be my best crop, yet again.

Oh, after taking the honey from some frames at the weekend we left some of the honey encrusted wax 'scrapings' out in the garden in a tupperware. The bumble bees have been enjoying the unexpected bounty, so much so that I counted 18 on it one morning this week. Really should have got a picture of that.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

A wee bit blustery out today with an occasional shower flung in for good measure. Kinda quiet just now,but I am not fooled! I know damn fine if I head out to do anything Mr Windypops will make a swift return along with his pal Mr Horizontal Rain! Quite mild too, but I felt the difference in temp last night, much cooler and comfortable.

Posted

Clachan Sands North Uist.jpg

Typical Hebridean weather over the past few days, summed up as cool, wet, windy but with a few brief moments of wan sunshine. 13C-16C.

• Like 2

Posted

Staggered that the heat seemingly does not want to let go. Think it be funny though apart from the 20th July (day after we got 28 here) that we get a thundery breakdown in september of all months. Only had that 1 thundery day (20th) Maybe a round 2 incoming next week.................?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Alright folks, long time no read. Trust all is well on the good ship kilted thread..

It's getting dark, it's windy, pishy rain... can only mean one thing really:diablo:

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Alright folks, long time no read. Trust all is well on the good ship kilted thread..

It's getting dark, it's windy, pishy rain... can only mean one thing really:diablo:

Like, time to roll another spliff... or, this must be Scotland... or turn up the music and pretend donald trump doesn't exist... then you wake up and have to go to work again.

Good to see you back!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

ClassicSeptember harvest morning  dry,breezy,bright and fresh at 9c. Cut out last field of barley last night at tea time after a very windy day when heads started to fall off it.Rain went to the west and north of us and dust was flying  as we cut it .Cairngorms to the south took all of our rain. More relaxed with any high winds now   

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all,

Not posted for a while, but have moved from Crail to Broughty Ferry in the interim. So I may have to give up my snowless crown on this thread (I do realise that Broughty Ferry isn't exactly the snow capital of Scotland but it is more likely to see snow than Crail, that's for sure!).

Anyway a bit premature to be talking about snow, I'm enjoying this late season warmth while it lasts!

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

Posted

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/reinstate-vital-funding-to-the-mountain-weather-information-service-mwis?bucket&source=facebook-share-button&time=1473583386

Hope that works...  MWIS provides a vital service to many different sectors in Scotland and the safety of many will be compromised if it disappears.  This would be craziest thing to do.

Posted

Money isn't the sole problem with the MWIS situation -  Geoff Monk has said before that he didn't want to go on and on and would be looking to retire at some point.

I've heard in the past from various sources that continuity of the service and access to Met Office model data are issues. There is a political side too around the role of the met office in Scotland and funding. It's another potential example of Scottish taxpayers having to pay twice for UK level services if MWIS became a met office operation.

Perhaps it requires more money to take on and suitably train meteorologists for a very specific forecasting niche. Part of the problem is there isn't a ready pool of climbing, hill walking and skiing qualified meteorologists with intimate knowledge of the Scottish Mountains!

• Like 2

Posted

Very stormy night with a roaring southerly gale.Spare a thought for any  farmers across the North of Scotland tonight out trying to rescue cereal crops before the heads are blown off, real equinoxial gales. Can see combine lights as I type .Any cut crop will have the straw rows blown to pieces as I have just been out for petrol and straw is blowing across the main road. Any unripe crop will most certainly be ripe by morning. Thankfully we finished baling our straw yesterday.

We weaned cows and calves this afternoon and the noise of the wind will keep them from hearing one another.Also stacked up the last of the hay so finally caught up with the summer jobs a month late not a vintage summer up here.

• Like 2

Posted

Started off promising this morning with broken cloud but as the morning has gone on it's progressed to low dark grey stuff. Temp has still got up to 20.9C so far though despite the cloud.

Posted

TAF for Aberdeen Airport now showing:

TEMPO 1318/1412 3000 BR BKN003 PROB30 TEMPO 1318/1406 2000 +SHRA +TSRA

As Ravelin has said, rather cloudy here (probably more than expected) nor as warm but definitely humid. Interesting to see how things pan out generally for Scotland this evening.

Posted

Records broken for temp in England but a pretty average to cool and wet September day outside my office, which at the moment is at about 700m in the central highlands.  Be putting the winter tyres back early next month I think - then off again for a short visit to southern France - then back on for a non-existent winter here.

Not enjoying the return of the gloomy evenings, very depressing. Currently 14C at home and very damp.  Lots of snails out there...

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Records broken for temp in England but a pretty average to cool and wet September day outside my office, which at the moment is at about 700m in the central highlands.  Be putting the winter tyres back early next month I think - then off again for a short visit to southern France - then back on for a non-existent winter here.

Not enjoying the return of the gloomy evenings, very depressing. Currently 14C at home and very damp.  Lots of snails out there...

Ditto here - apart from the short visit to southern France :)

Posted

Warm humid and wet day with rain off and on.Currently  14c so any ripe barley or wheat will be very suseptible to germinating in the head if this humidity carries on.So the challanging year carries on. Forecast does look better for the week end though.