Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Don't normally check in in the summer but golly some of these thunderclaps are loud. Got back from 2 1/2 weeks in France last night and had to use car aircon in Scotland at 23.00 pm. Not something I thought I'd ever have to do. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Nice to see a bit of activity on here for the first time in ages. 

Thunderstorm hit over night here but was a brief affair (4 to 4:30am) with plenty of flashes but very few direct sightings. Next one is on the way in looking at the radar but only one flash off to the SE so far. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Stonking thunder and lightning here at about 9.30 - firs time in my whole life I've heard continuous thunder. We thought it was a plane going over low but it just kept roaring. Went really dark and then the power went off. As usual lol

• Like 1

Posted

Might have had our fun for the day. Skies looking a lot brighter now. Feeling a good deal cooler too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

This mornings heaviest stuff missed Aberdeen/Dyce, radar showed it just to the West. No repeat of the early morning light show either. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Hot 20c ,humid very ,more thunder and lightning almost certainly today .You can feel it coming!

Just had 30 minutes of frequent lightning and rumbles of thunder . Getting closer all the time with torrential rain.House windows rattling just now with the latest thunder.

Posted

Agree with Rav locally, storm here 4-4.30am, had one audible rumble/burst of rain about 10am, but the heaviest stuff thus far missed the city - just! - and Aberdeenshire took the pasting.

However, skies looking VERY threatening here from the SW apparently, although cannot get a good look back that way yet (my window face N/NW but seems to be getting dark!  

Edited by Richard Taylor

Posted
10 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Just had 30 minutes of frequent lightning and rumbles of thunder . Getting closer all the time with torrential rain.House windows rattling just now with the latest thunder.

yes I am getting thunder at  from that storm

Posted

Things beginning to fizzle out now, or are people still seeing lightning/torrential rain? Just cloudy, wet, miserable here now. Some of the skies this morning were amongst the angriest I think I've ever seen!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

All went away by 12 here, rain wise.

Intermittent sunshine now.

Very humid, 22.4c. So still nice and warm (for now)

Posted

After some thin sunshine late this afternoon, it is now overcast again, mild and very humid.

I have had an outside door open, and the smoke alarm in the hall kept triggering with the help of some slight heat and moisture emanating from the kitchen when preparing the evening meal - unusual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, ciel... you like Runrig: 

• Like 3

Posted

On reflection of last nights storms I can"t say  that I have ever heard continuous  thunder or lightning going on for so long. This on top of that it  was the middle of the night and we had a period of dry storms before the rain started and with the evidence of some of the photos on this thread I think I can safely say that this was the severest weather I have seen in my life here in the north of Scotland. More evidence of climate change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Been rumbling and lightning here since 9am for a good part of the day, still going now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Lost tv and internet about 15 minutes ago in another intense downpour with close by thunder and lightning. Sun back out now and you would never know! Didn't see this one coming as had just hung out the washing!:oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
3 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Lost tv and internet about 15 minutes ago in another intense downpour with close by thunder and lightning. Sun back out now and you would never know! Didn't see this one coming as had just hung out the washing!:oops:

someone by me was having a BBQ!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I was in Buckie last night.  There was a colourful sunset over an oily smooth sea, but no hint of what was to come.  I was first woken at 3 and the banging kept me awake a fair bit from then on.  Breakfast was cool with the kitchen door open and a breeze coming in after lying in a sweaty bed all night.  Then mid morning there was a classic storm with huge dark clouds rolling up and lightening flickering on the leading edge - then the rain, some rain!  The sea went red with all the muck washed down the rivers and burns.  No birds to be seen.  Back home now and tales of streets becoming rivers.... no rivers of potatoes this time though.

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, Northernlights said:

On reflection of last nights storms I can"t say  that I have ever heard continuous  thunder or lightning going on for so long. This on top of that it  was the middle of the night and we had a period of dry storms before the rain started and with the evidence of some of the photos on this thread I think I can safely say that this was the severest weather I have seen in my life here in the north of Scotland. More evidence of climate change.

Speaking to a neighbour  this  morning with an even better view of the Firth who said he woke at 4.00am and looked out to see   in his words  "a sky completely illuminated by a spiders web of lightning and the surface of the sea a powder blue colour" He only wished he could have got a photo. This is the severest storm or storms he had seen in his lifetime (He is mid fifties)

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Speaking to a neighbour  this  morning with an even better view of the Firth who said he woke at 4.00am and looked out to see   in his words  "a sky completely illuminated by a spiders web of lightning and the surface of the sea a powder blue colour" He only wished he could have got a photo. This is the severest storm or storms he had seen in his lifetime (He is mid fifties)

The storm I saw yesterday morning by Buckie was the most intense I've ever seen in Scotland - only beaten by one in near Birmingham in 1990ish and a couple more recently in the French Alps.  You almost needed a torch to see where you were going when the cloud had built up, and the lightening flickering along the advancing cloud wave was like a CGI sequence in a film.

Posted
On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 11:15, Northernlights said:

The best storm I ever saw in Scotland was the early hours of 19 August 2004.  I lived in Kemnay, Aberdeenshire at the time but it went on for hours, constant thunder, forked lightning, purple crawlers just crazy.  On a par with anything I've seen abroad.