Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
14 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Was that this morning you were across there? I don't remember it being as sunny when I was at my dad's this afternoon.

It's a lovely corner of the world going up and over the old road and the Brisbane Glen towards Largs is huge. Having said that the coast road is pretty stunning too, so perhaps a loop would be best for tourists :) 

The photos were taken about 2.30. It was very clear in Largs and along the west coast.  The cloud increased notably as I headed east out of Greenock. I do like the coastal road as sometimes while you can actually forget you are in Scotland and only 40 miles from home. :)

Next place I want to visit in Glen Devon. Drove through there once at is was very scenic. Especially the first part where you come off the A9 onto the A823. Feel free to suggest any stunning roads I should check while we have this lovely dry weather!:D

Posted

It was a beautiful day up in the "could shoulder". Almost cloudless skies. a slight nippy breeze but fine enough for a stroll along the beach at Cruden Bay at lunchtime. 12C or there about.

The weather was fine, my day was not.  Arrived in Aberdeen for a meeting at 11.30 - it had been scheduled for 9.45.:nonono: Things went farther pear- shaped in the afternoon! I'll spare the details.

The drive home, SSW, was very unpleasant with the sun so low in the sky, now.

Posted
14 hours ago, Harve said:

10th October and I don't think it's rained yet out West in Glasgow this month (?), this must be some kind of record for an autumn month?

Well there has been some light rain shower over southside of Glasgow at 1am made the roads wet anyway and a blue dot was all that showed on the radar.. So 9/10 days without rain that was..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Very light and patchy rain on the Black Isle and a pretty crappy day to be honest - cool, dull and breezy.

However.... my next entry might be from somewhere snowy!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Light rain showers over Montrose too. Cool and not very pleasant this evening, 10C but feels colder.

``montrose 2 (1 of 1)-2.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Some pretty heavy showers around this area this morning and it looks like the next day or two will see us having noticeable amounts of rain for what seems like the first time in ages.

Posted

Ah, right, now it feels like October/Autumn. Currently very grey, breezy and peeing it down in frequent heavy bursts. That'll be because we got the caravan out of the storage yard last night ready to go away.

Posted

Dull here today with some light outbreaks of rain and feeling cool in the rain. Had a couple of difficult calvings so busy nursing calves and mums.

Also only have intermittant broadband and phone.Spoke to an honest BT person who said there were a lot of problems in the area so it might be  two weeks before we get back online permenantly. Never had such an unreliable phone line in the last three months in my 50 odd years here. Maybe the line is fifty years old and needs replacing!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Early morning was misty and still, tho’ I did glimpse a couple of brief sunny intervals.  Temp 8C - 10C.  A nippy SE breeze developed and it poured down this afternoon.  Currently, 18.30 or thereabouts,  the sky is clearing from the east and south and so I’m hopeful of doing some moonwatching later.

Twilight

twi.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Ah well, that's the end of the the lovely Autumn sunshiney stuff for a while then. It was great while it lasted but the rivers and burns are so low just now. Had a wee spattering of rain yesterday and this morning too. Current temp 11.2c with skies clearing a bit. Looks like it might get a bit chilly later in the week, so best get some more wood chopped up!

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like the cold front isn't too far away think it might get rather wet briefly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Getting chillier here now, 4 degrees this morning at 6.00 according to the car.

Posted

With intermittant broadband have not been on here a lot. That plus a lot of difficult calvings probably caused by summer grass carrying on into September making the cows and calves inside them  put on extra growth.  The seasons appear again to be running 6 weeks or so out of phase.

The bad calving problems are widespread round about us as the vets were unable to assist us with one bad onelast week  as they had 3 ongoing ceasarians  We did eventually manage to get the calf out but it was badly squeeezed. and needed four days of hand feeding before we could get it on its mother.  

Currently overcast and 6c

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Hey all. General observation here... autumn seems to have been incredibly quiet so far. Very calm, benign conditions.

Whilst we've had some heavy showery bursts here , and the River Kelvin near to me seems quite high at the moment, it seems that we've had less rain and certainly much less wind.

Don't think we've had a single proper big storm yet and none on the horizon, which for late October seems unusual. Anyone else think the same or am I imagining this?

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'd hazard a guesstimate at a Tom Jones effort "it's not unusual". 

Although maybe the end results on the ground aren't that unusual, compared to recent years it's certainly been a quieter month than you'd expect. Going by what is being discussed on the MOD thread, in meteorological terms it has been fairly unusual. Lots of high pressure around us and to our north and little sign of the polar vortex 'ramping up'. Plenty of time for it all to go to **** and give us another wet and windy winter, but maybe not?

Mixed weather around here the last few days, a bit of everything really. A bit clearer this morning than the last couple, with some broken cloud and sunshine. Damp underfoot though and around 9C when I was driving to work (seems to have been between 9 & 11C for days now).

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Very cold wind from the north coming in from the back of the house. First time it's felt like winter!

• Like 4

Posted

From a perspective, of how weather affects individual wellbeing, this benign October has been fine by me with no gales destroying trees or property, no excessive rainfall and with mellow temperatures which make it comfortable to go out and about without being happed up or swept away. 

Today, although a mixture of sunny periods and light showers blown along by an increasing northerly breeze, continued to be pleasant enough given the season 

Buchan.jpg  Buchan coast this morning.

• Like 7

Posted

I was on CairnGorm for part of the day and contrary to the Met Office App which told me it would be part cloudy with sun and a <5% chance of rain at noon at the Base Station, where I was standing outside at noon and it was peeing it down! You couldn't see beyond the front of your nose either, guess the light NE breeze was taking moisture in off the Firth.

Car in the garage so had taken the bus up and hadn't been prepared for the downpours so got a bit drookit as I had a very warm but waterproof as a tea bag jacket on! #shouldknowbetter 

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 1

Posted

With shortening daylight hours, the dog's walks are getting earlier and earlier.  

This late afternoon was sunny, and very still,  but chilly.

walk03.jpg

And then this appeared - I thought initially it was a plane contrail, but probably a firework ?

walk01.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I'm up in Strontian/Sky in 2 weeks, Can't wait ☺

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

One of my pals took this photo from his garden yesterday, funnily enough I'd spotted the cloud on my way home from work and it was on BBC Scotland tonight. Apparently it was an Ineos cloud.

FB_IMG_1477079780235.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
5 hours ago, ciel said:

With shortening daylight hours, the dog's walks are getting earlier and earlier.  

This late afternoon was sunny, and very still,  but chilly.

walk03.jpg

And then this appeared - I thought initially it was a plane contrail, but probably a firework ?

walk01.jpg

Looks like the remains of a contrail , see these over Glasgow with Inverness bound aircraft that have started there descent and contrail disappears 

• Like 1