Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Not particularly often we get to say this so thought I'd pop in especially for it: currently very windy and dry with widespread blowing dust. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Not particularly often we get to say this so thought I'd pop in especially for it: currently very windy and dry with widespread blowing dust. 

That reminds me of the time I ran into moving sand dunes...On the A96!:shok:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

There's a throttled, fluttery rumbling in the chimney and leaves swirling down the street.... you can infer what you like from that! Getting dark at teatime too, can't say this time of year's my favourite any more with signs of decay and withdrawal all around.  Perhaps I'm changing too as I used to enjoy the changes of autumn.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

That reminds me of the time I ran into moving sand dunes...On the A96!:shok:

And they are forming again on the A96 east of Nairn tonight. Terrible wind all afternoon and  got worse as night fell.

Loading a grain lorry at 6.00pm and the grain was getting blown out of the lorry. a real autumn day. Getting fed up of the wind now but it seems there is a lot more to come

Positive thought we have a phone line again and cows are calving in dry conditions

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Looked at the monthly rain stats on my weather station the other day and up until that point for this month we'd had a mere 5.4mm. I'd need to check that against the local 'professional' weather stations but that seems stupendously low for September.

Edit: A quick search and I found data on Wunderground that suggests Dyce has had 14.8mm of rain in Sept. Only 3 days so far this month have had >2mm of rain, with the largest being 6.1mm. 17 days have been totally dry, and a few more close enough they should probably be included as 'dry'.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted

9 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Looked at the monthly rain stats on my weather station the other day and up until that point for this month we'd had a mere 5.4mm. I'd need to check that against the local 'professional' weather stations but that seems stupendously low for September.

Yes ground is very dry hence sandstorms in newly sown fields of winter cereals along the coastal plain  up here yesterday. Great for cattle and sheep outside. Got very fed up with soaking wet round bales of straw stored outside these last two winters so have partially wrapped half of them in plastic  (a new technique for this farm so its a bit of an experiment) so my forecast for winter is that its going to be a dry one.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
49 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

"stu

Yes ground is very dry hence sandstorms in newly sown fields of winter cereals along the coastal plain  up here yesterday. Great for cattle and sheep outside. Got very fed up with soaking wet round bales of straw stored outside these last two winters so have partially wrapped half of them in plastic so my forecast for winter is that its going to be a dry one.

I'm sick of rain so lets hope for no rain, but LOADSSSS of snow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Pretty gusty here now, can hear the bins moving about.

Posted
48 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

Pretty gusty here now, can hear the bins moving about.

Bit late for the binmen to be out!  Are they on overtime?

Posted

Things seem to have calmed down in Inverness compared to a few hours ago, might be a different story in the morning! Seen gusts of 75mph at the base of Glencoe's Access Chair at the edge of Rannoch Moor earlier and there was a HGV blown off the A82 between Fort William and Corran Ferry early evening. 

Posted

Winds pretty gusty here in Broughty Ferry.  Plenty of sunshine too.

Posted

A wet (sometimes very wet!) morning as the gale subsided then a pleasant enough afternoon with a little thin sunshine - this is along at Buckie, east of NL now (and for the next while).  Autumn is now here officially as I had 2 shirts, a fleece and my coat on even after the rain.  Good sightings of Grey Seals, Gannets and Great Northern Divers not far from the harbour in the afternoon; also spotted a fisheries patrol boat going round in circles just offshore, probably marking time till the sea calmed down a bit...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Husband been out with the rubbish and says it's absolutely baltic ootside. Neighbour told him she was out wi dog last night and it was sleety rain!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lovely sunny autumnal morning here. Overnight low was 1.2C and still just 2.1C at 7:30am so we're getting loser to the first air frost of the season.

• Like 2

Posted

Pleasant and sunny start to the afternoon - 13C with a slight breeze.

Still one or two swallows on passage feeding over the fields.

20160930-P1020513.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

chilly is definitely the word for this weekend, I love this weather!!

• Like 1

Posted

I think I've always seen haloes and so on...  bit like rainbows and brocken spectres but rather less dramatic.  A bit subjective though, as what people notice will change over time.

Splendid sunrises and sunsets yesterday, with some fairly uninspired cloud in between.  Also chilly despite the sun. October!

A brief shower this morning but we look set for a decent weekend.  Overtime!

End of summer, start of autumn theme continues... autumn poppy.jpg

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

Posted

A surprisingly belter of a day. Sun still got a little oomph to it felt really quite warm earlier but clear skies during the day and with long nights...............temperatures will fall like a shot quickly