Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Been a decent few days weather both here and in and around the central belt when we were visiting at the weekend. Gearing up for a hot one today here at work i.e I've already got all the windows open as this place acts like a greenhouse as soon at the sun hits it. Hopefully the wives bees are keeping busy in this good weather, we'll need to get down to see at the weekend at the latest. They should be feeding on the heather at the moment so hopefully some more honey to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
On 29/08/2016 at 22:12, Northernlights said:

A bit wet  in the late afternoon but dryer this evening with a breeze harvest hopefully just a few days away.  

Just been reading an article on  excessive world grain stocks.

Prices  are on the floor this year due to a wheat harvest up by 21% in America and a similar increase in Russia. All their stores are full and they are now storing grain outside on concrete pads in both countries.

I am now very convinced that rising background CO2 levels worldwide are driving these huge yield increases.

Most crops harvested on the Black Isle now apart from the obvious - most favourable August for a few years?

Today got really very warm - I saw 22C near Inverness early evening.  It won't last.

• Like 1

Posted

Tuesday was better than expected.. Got the edge of the warm front last night just brought cloud with no rainfall. Rather than cloudy conditions behind it (typical of Tropical Maritime airmass) it was clear overnight and sunny all day until teatime where low cloud spread in before the approaching cold front.. Cracking day it was overall very pleasent..  Did see on BBC Weather that most of Western and NW England had a day of low cloud and Drizzle..

Posted
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Most crops harvested on the Black Isle now apart from the obvious - most favourable August for a few years?

Today got really very warm - I saw 22C near Inverness early evening.  It won't last.

Yes in the space of three weeks the barley has gone from very green to ripe aided by the sunshine,wind and heat of the last two weeks. With large machinery today harvest can be very quick in good weather,  The use of Roundup to aid even ripening also helps. ( a bit controversial as it is now thought to be carcinogenic.  I won"t use it because it makes the crop overipe after  ten days and we are very exposed to wind so we are always a bit later to harvest) using natural ripening. Young Mr Northernlights was baling hay for a farmer near Culloden yesterday in very good order

Posted
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Yes in the space of three weeks the barley has gone from very green to ripe aided by the sunshine,wind and heat of the last two weeks. With large machinery today harvest can be very quick in good weather,  The use of Roundup to aid even ripening also helps. ( a bit controversial as it is now thought to be carcinogenic.  I won"t use it because it makes the crop overipe after  ten days and we are very exposed to wind so we are always a bit later to harvest) using natural ripening. Young Mr Northernlights was baling hay for a farmer near Culloden yesterday in very good order

I wasn’t aware of that practice, NL, but it explains something I suspected. A few years ago, when barley was being grown in the field which bounds my garden, the spray from a sprayer boom clipped a couple of metres or so of plants along the edge of the fence as the tractor was turning.  I can’t remember exactly what variety of plants were there but a struggling young birch tree did give up completely and I still have a little gap in the border, which I quite like and have not re-planted.

Posted

Started havest 2016 yesterday not sunny but dull and windy.P9010106.JPGShower about 1.00pm stopped us , yields OK but quality not so good a result of poor weather during grainfill and a wet spell at the begining of April delaying sowing.

• Like 2

Posted

Nice morning bit of a breeze and sunny.Started combine at 1.00pm but rained off at 2.30.pm.  A nice bit of dust coming off the two combines 20160903.jpg20160903 (2).jpg

Fighting over the last round before the rain came down off the Cawdor hills20160903 (3).jpg20160903 (4).jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Looks like being crazy warm mon night.... Overnight min in Glasgow around 18c!!!! Phew

Edited by DR(S)NO

Posted
10 hours ago, DR(S)NO said:

Looks like being crazy warm mon night.... Overnight min in Glasgow around 18c!!!! Phew

Just seen that. For september that's unreal really. 19 in belfast too apparently................Whew! Sauna!

Cloudy and muggy currently but the drizzle's died out

Posted

I never anticipate fair weather when visiting the far NWest, and so a fine afternoon yesterday was a bonus, 19C ,and quite balmy. 

St Kilda.jpg

St Kilda from North Uist

Driving drizzle and a houlie today - couldn't persuade the dog to go for a walk.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
28 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Another fabulous sunset 20160905.jpg20160905 (2).jpgand still  16c

:shok: stunning 3D effect of the low light! never seen anything quite like that...

Really warm out this evening here, been out in t-shirt in the yard, very pleasant till the mozzies found me.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

21C at 9am this morning, not at all shabby for September. A bit breezy with some cloud around, including some dark stuff but doubt it'll amount to much even if we do get a shower or two. I'd like to see the stats for rainfall for the last few weeks as it has felt as if it's been pretty dry for the time of year.

• Like 1

Posted

Stepped out into an oven this morning at 6.00pm at 18c but very humid with a heavy dew .Will have to wait till midday to bale straw when the dew shoud have hopefully gone. Currently the straw is still very wet and very slow to dry with the humid air  Almost completely blue skies however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Sunny and breezy here, looks like the first of the Autumn storms will arrive by the end of this week. Oh, how I've missed them!:D

Posted

Cloudy and still drizzly but not cold. Might get a improvement................tomorrow

Posted
1 hour ago, Richard Taylor said:

Beautiful day here, +25 & sunny. Hope it's the same everywhere. Stunning sunset pics above.

25.4C in Dyce is the high so far, at 2pm. Quite amazing just how warm it feels as there's quite a strong breeze too. Can't be far off the highest recorded temperature for Dyce this year, whatever that is.

Posted

From what i can find online, the highest temperature recorded in Aberdeen in September is 24oC.  Currently 26oC at Dyce according to NW and XC Weather.  Wonder if there will be a run on it in the MSM?

Posted

Cloud's not really broke up as I thought it might although at least the drizzle's stopped

Posted
11 minutes ago, NUT said:

Cloud's not really broke up as I thought it might although at least the drizzle's stopped

The cloud is really struggling to break up here too, keeping a lid on the temp today. Although just short of 20C isn't exactly awful for September. No wind today, unlike yesterday.

Posted

No sun at all here today just cloudy and muggy conditions. Seen a tad of blue sky at sunset but dark skies to the west were pushing in but the radar showed little rainfall nearby at the time. See Thundery Rain over Northern Ireland at the moment this will push towards us overnight..

Posted

Got 90% of straw baled two days ago in spite of the wind destroying the bouts of straw .Without the wind we would not have had such dry straw.Yesterday was damp and humid after a wet night.Today is brighter but very humid  so far   with a moderate breeze and currently 18c

Posted

Absolutely thumping down with rain at the mo. Think it safe to say this warm blast is over