Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Cracking morning, warm, sunny, slight breeze.  Painting windows.

Funny thing is, so often when there's a low sat to our south, we have dreadful weather, sea level cloud and rain driving in from the firth.  :cc_confused:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Lovely weather here in the north once again - max of a touch below 23'C with sunshine most of the day and light wind. That's now been a solid week of summer weather, seems to be finally delivering! 

• Like 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Lovely weather here in the north once again - max of a touch below 23'C with sunshine most of the day and light wind. That's now been a solid week of summer weather, seems to be finally delivering! 

Same here.  BT engineer was out this afternoon and we now have a landline again after two weeks loss of connection .Got chatting as he did not seem local and was told that hundreds of engineers have been drafted in from England to NW England Wales and Scotland to reconnect 750000 phones knocked out by lightning. He was going to be  up here for another 2 weeks at least. Agreed that lightning was becoming more severe.

Thought we were not alone as was picking up that quite a few folk had no phone and it was widespread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

New weather graphics for STV tomorrow, using the Met Office data and new graphics system. Sean Batty (STV's main presenter) has spent many weeks tuning the system ready for a bespoke version for Scotland. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/2016/new-STV-weather  

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

It's been the best weather of the summer here too. I was pruning fruit shrubs and trees today, and was happy as Larry in the sun, even during the tedious tidying up. The coming week looks a bit more mixed though...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Yep, for once even here the weather gods seemed to have got it right. Any rain we had over the weekend fell during the night and the days were warm (not hot), sunny and dry with a bit of a breeze.

This morning though has started off with lots of low cloud and even a bit of drizzle, or it might just be heavy mist. Hoping for it to clear up as the day goes on. The week ahead doesn't look too bad, a mixed bag and not likely to see the heat predicted for down south.

Posted
14 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Same here.  BT engineer was out this afternoon and we now have a landline again after two weeks loss of connection .Got chatting as he did not seem local and was told that hundreds of engineers have been drafted in from England to NW England Wales and Scotland to reconnect 750000 phones knocked out by lightning. He was going to be  up here for another 2 weeks at least. Agreed that lightning was becoming more severe.

Thought we were not alone as was picking up that quite a few folk had no phone and it was widespread.

Still the stories come whole of Lossiemouth lost every router, Postie dedicated to delivering 80 home hubs a day and a BT engineer drafted in from Shetland repairing cables along with others. Our local exchange was fried.Some of this damage is from the 20th of July so there is a huge backlog. The biggest problem in the countryside is mobile phone reception is lousy even at the top of a hill calls are dropped,once in a house ,steading or valley no reception at all!

Its going to be a very memorable summer for the wrong reasons.Saw  our vet in Nairn last night and one of their clients lost a cow to lightning two weeks ago  last Saturday.

Dull and humid here today with some drizzle. Currently 17c

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Was away in Tenerife from last Friday. Such a contrast!

Was v warm down in Peterbrough Wed and Thurs.

Mixed Friday and Saturday.

Here it rained Friday.

Was biblically bad Saturday, i mean like soak through 3 waterproof jackets bad. Got a brief taste of it going over the top of the A66, if you'd said it was November i'd have believed you. Admittedly that's as 2,000ft where they have no summer but still.

Yesterday was ok, average temps. 

Been some rain here aleady but very humid. A warm feeling 17c and supposed to be sunny later.

A very mixed bag. Not a washout of a summer, May/June was great but thereafer a bit dissapointing. Certainly not a classic!

Posted

After a cool and overcast morning and early afternoon, the sun appeared around 3pm. 

Collected a g’son from Montrose station mid afternoon – 23C was very pleasant. The station at Montrose must be one of the bonniest in Scotland with great views of the Montrose Basin and the hills beyond from the platforms especially in the sunshine. It doesn’t really matter if the train is running a wee bit late!

Edited by ciel

Posted

Here's hoping yesterday was a blip, a midge-infested, miserable blip. <checks forecast> Woops! Blips aplenty after tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Beautiful day today. Max of 23.2c, sun is that bit weaker now so just very pleasant.

Posted

Fantastic sunny day with a maximum of 21 c  Finally finished the last batch of hay probably the least rained on of the summer .It would have been perfect but its getting a bit mature now.Combines were going lower down in oilseed rape and the first of the spring barley. Our own  spring barley should be ready in about a week to ten days and ripened very fast in the last weeks heat. so shed washing  all next week end.

Posted

Had a lovely day yesterday. Today................back to way most of the week's been. Cloudy and breezy

Posted

Pretty grey day and not warm. Getting misty out too - couldn't see the castle  from Princes St - or even the far side of the gardens when I left work. Slack easterlies really are muck! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Haven't been on here for ages, hardly had time to catch my breath after days dealing with dippy bonglies! It's gone really dark here with heavy rain and a stiff breeze. It may improve later, here's hoping!

Posted

It’s been a fairly pleasant day here. High of 20C, but a stiff-ish breeze taking the edge of the warmth, plus the occasional sharp shower.CoM3.jpg

!3C up on this location.

• Like 2

Posted

Been out and about this week, mainly near Torridon.  Tuesday was the Day of the Midge - never known it so bad, with no wind, mild and overcast.  Intolerable conditions, I heard one guy describe it as 'more midges than air'.  Better since, with some changeable and sometimes breezy conditions.

This evening, I put the lights on soon after 7. Autumn is just around the corner - I judge it to be having our tea with the lights on.

• Like 4

Posted

Yes washing sheds for harvest ,crop no longer green and going golden not yet white enough to be dead ripe..Lovely breezy sunny day the last few weeks have  been a big improvement  on the summer with the crop ripening very quickly amd making my forecast of a mid September harvest very wrong with it potentially ready to cut in the middle of next week.  Farm taking on the look of autumn very quickly now.

Posted

Morning all - so I was driving kids back to Stirling from Crail when my eldest screeched from the back - "look! It's a tornado"

i naturally guffawed and told her not to be silly - then looked up

um - ok. That's a funnel cloud forming ....

http://imgur.com/a/KRwjk

Edited by GraemeB
  • Like 1

Posted

Got this late yesterday afternoon.  Couldn't believe my eyes really, and neither could my poor little camera - a really difficult one for a good sensor, never mind a tiny one!liathach.jpg

Started a new job today, another 'upland development' - could be interesting in winter!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer.

Saw this strange rainbow strip heading home from work tonight. I was north of dundee looking east towards east angus when the sun was setting.

20160829_200125.jpg

Edited by Sraigcaife
  • Like 3

Posted

A bit wet  in the late afternoon but dryer this evening with a breeze harvest hopefully just a few days away.  

Just been reading an article on  excessive world grain stocks.

Prices  are on the floor this year due to a wheat harvest up by 21% in America and a similar increase in Russia. All their stores are full and they are now storing grain outside on concrete pads in both countries.

I am now very convinced that rising background CO2 levels worldwide are driving these huge yield increases.