Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

It's all white out there!!! Not a lot, just a wee dusting but it does look very pretty. I daresay it'll be gone soon, so nice to see it while it's here!

• Like 3

Posted

Nice wee dusting on the Pentland Hills this morning. Few snow showers here but nothing settled. Lovely morning though. Chilly but sunny and calm! 

• Like 1

Posted

-1c at 6.00am this morning but much calmer currently 2c and sunny

A photo of the Cawdor hills this morning.20160427 (4).jpg

A couple of photos of  Ben  Wyvis and the hills across the Firth over Nairn.20160427 (3).jpg20160427 (2).jpg20160427.jpg

Visible snow was lying right down to sea level at Wick this morning as I looked across the Firth

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just had another short snow shower in Dyce, that makes falling snow in 4 out of the last 5 days (Sat, Mon, Tue, Wed). Nothing lying at home in Kemnay this morning but the low hills just to the west had a white coat.

Posted

Just had  a very heavy hail shower to be followed by 20 minutes of light snow.P4270030.JPG

Fields quite white and temperature fell to 1.5c from 4cP4270031.JPG

There are going to be srious issues for farmers  and gardeners everywhere if plant growth remains as slow as it is just now. Its the length of this cold spell that I find so unusual as normally cold spells in spring are two day affairs.

Something else I found a bit incongruous was the sight of our only pair of swallows who  arrived a week ago flying in and out of the garage in the falling snow.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
25 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Its the length of this cold spell that I find so unusual as normally cold spells in spring are two day affairs.

If this had happened, say back in Jan, it would have been a quite potent cold spell. I don't know how much snow we've had but I'd guess it could have accumulated to a depth of a few cm at least had the ground been colder and the sun weaker.

At a rough calc Dyce has seen around 15mm of precipitation since Saturday, so could have maybe accumulated 15cm of snow.

Not just the effect of the dragged out cold spell on my garden and your fields that are worrying, my wife is fretting about her bees.

• Like 1

Posted

Somewhere East and North might be in line for a bit of a pasting tomorrow into Friday judging by some forecasts and Euro4! Interestingly NMM shows a far more widespread snow event at the minute.

Honestly - even typing this I can't really be arsed about continuing winter weather! It will be wet and maybe sleety here! Whoopie! Spring warmth please :D

Posted

Garden has gone temporarily white after a couple of showers of alternating very heavy hail and wet snow! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Yep, even down here it has snowed the last 3 days. Widespread snow today and hail. Southern uplands were very white this morning, so too was criffel which is a hill at 1600ft (roughly) and right by the coast. 

Unusual for this late on. Unusual for late March tbh, nevermind 4/5 weeks later....

Maxed out at 7c today. Felt okish in the sun but bitterly cold if a shower rolled in.

This will put spring on hold...

Posted

The showers this evening are epic! Heaviest hail in a long time! Again this one briefly turning to wet snow and back to hail! 

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Snowed a lot over the last two days, frequent showers but often only ammounting to small coverings. Picked up earlier this evening though and snowed heavily for a few hours. Daffodils looking a tad sorry for themselves and the trees have the winter attire on again this April. Currently a spring like -3c

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 4

Posted

Woke up to a light dusting this morning. Sunny, calm and chilly. An absolutely beautiful morning!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I was hibernating for the impending summer. But jings the snow in Campbeltown has fair woken me up.  If it's snowing that far west this could be a really interesting 24 hours!

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, November13 said:

I was hibernating for the impending summer. But jings the snow in Campbeltown has fair woken me up.  If it's snowing that far west this could be a really interesting 24 hours!

My folks reporting heavy wet snow at sea level in Northern Ireland - a rare event even in the depths of winter! Models look good. I see the warnings are extended for North Central Belt/Fife for this morning. BBC graphics show potential right through until tomorrow morning. For here it's hit and miss but a rain to snow event not out of the question. 

Posted

Been snowing here for an hour now. Started off as rain. Everything white now. Definitely wasn't expecting this at the end of April. Is it sunshine and showers today or a prolonged band of precipitation? Is this Arctic outbreak expected to last beyond today? Thank you anyone who can offer that information.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frozen Britain said:

Been snowing here for an hour now. Started off as rain. Everything white now. Definitely wasn't expecting this at the end of April. Is it sunshine and showers today or a prolonged band of precipitation? Is this Arctic outbreak expected to last beyond today? Thank you anyone who can offer that information.

It's a prolonged band rather than showers. It's not going anywhere quickly! Turning less cold over the weekend with the emphasis on the 'less cold'. Some of the models hint at a few places getting an utter pasting over the next 24hrs. Looks a mess so anywhere could see falling snow really. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Ahhhhh, you've got to laugh haven't you....is it really May this weekend:cold:image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I'm not saying I've been 100% accurate in my recording but by my reckoning, for here at least, April has seen more days of falling snow than any of the other 'winter' months (see my sig below).

Today so far has been cold, dry and cloudy.

Ehm, hold that last though, looks like it's just started to rain, possibly sleet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

The worst kind of weather.

Cold, damp, sleety and grey.

3.4c and constant precipitation. Sleety.

A very cold low of -0.9c (for the time of year) 

Been in this house 8 years (and tbh i can go back further) and this is by far the coldest i have recorded in April for this location.

In the heavier bursts there is definitely some snow mixed in...  

Posted
11 minutes ago, Richard Taylor said:

Most definitely snowing in central Aberdeen, quite steadily as well.

1115: thick flakes here just now.

Same in Dyce, definitely snow, and off a slight southerly breeze too by the looks of it.

Just updated my signature, now I'm going to have to do it again damn it.

Posted

Met Office now extended the snow warning for Lothian and Borders but not until overnight tonight. That backs up the models which show the initial band as rain but as the front stalls and spins back on itself later on the ppn will turn to snow as the cold air gets wrapped around the front. Certainly an interesting 24hrs ahead for many. For my location - not expecting much at all as these setups disappoint time and time again. 

I know I said a few posts back that I couldn't be arsed with more winter weather - the reality is that I'm well up for one final day of model / radar watching, checking traffic cams etc. Next winter is a long time away :-D

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Proper rain here but wonder if it will all be rain......................