Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & CS England Weather Discussion Spring 2016 (26th March ------->)

A.J

Posted

Must be so localised im south of Salisbury by 10 miles and very little rain to interrupt my gardening work today,sky quite bright at the moment.

Posted

Cancel the bright sky its now dark and raining lol

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

I went up to Salisbury today, by train thank goodness, or I should have been driving back in those storms this evening!  Played back the radar to 17.00 just now to see the activity this evening.   According to my husband who has been here all day, there was one heavy shower around 12 and then nothing.

Posted
16 hours ago, knocker said:

But judging from the Met Office update, a gradual improvement again for the South at least as July approaches. Temperatures should be recovering next week too. 

Posted

Some quite interesting cloud this  morning and changing quite quickly. Had some Ac Cas, earlier but now a couple of layers of Ac (broken) with some Cu. temp 13C and a westerly breeze.

The thundery stuff today more inclined to the east of the region?

ens_max1hrprecip_26.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Possibly the least thundery looking sky imaginable this morning, after perhaps blue sky with fair weather cumulus. Will be interesting to see what does develop... but low cloud is yet again an issue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

And still the drought continues! Last night's national and South today forecast showed an area of rain across here quite early this morning, as did the majority of charts, but still it never materialised. I have only idea what the warning was about yesterday, the accumulation map for the last 24hrs shows practically zero rain in the exact area where the warning was. Quite bizarre! More warnings issued, so it should be a pleasant two or thee days then? lol

Windy again today..

Temp: 16.2°C - Hum:  76% Dew: 11.9°C - Bar: 996.72°C - Wind:  SW @ 5mph, gusting to 15mph.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

And still the drought continues! Last night's national and South today forecast showed an area of rain across here quite early this morning, as did the majority of charts, but still it never materialised. I have only idea what the warning was about yesterday, the accumulation map for the last 24hrs shows practically zero rain in the exact area where the warning was. Quite bizarre! More warnings issued, so it should be a pleasant two or thee days then? lol

Windy again today..

Temp: 16.2°C - Hum:  76% Dew: 11.9°C - Bar: 996.72°C - Wind:  SW @ 5mph, gusting to 15mph.

I found those warnings quite odd in that they covered coastal areas, the most likely outcome was always a convergence zone inland where the varying wind directions met which indeed set up and gave a soaking afternoon for a comparatively narrow stretch of Dorset/Wiltshire/Hampshire.

Only 11.5mm in Warminster this month thanks to being approximately 5 miles North of yesterday's downpours and looking ok so far today, although to be honest I would love a good downpour this afternoon to top up the water butts as plant watering has been necessary every day.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

I would love a good downpour this afternoon to top up the water butts as plant watering has been necessary every day.

Definitely! I've built new areas for flowers over the past month, and it is all so dry. The soil is like a sandy loam, so it drains very fast, and dries to dust very quickly. My water butt is empty, I don't like to use tap water unless it is necessary, especially in the pond, as the fish don't like it. The big koi can't get to the shallower end of the pond at the moment as it is so low. 10mm would top it up an inch or two because there's multiple sources of catchment which run in to the main pond. I'm not fussed about thunder, just a nice drop of rain would do. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Whoop, thunder a few minutes ago from a rapidly developed cell in between Warminster and Westbury.

a very active rain radar at the moment and im in the slither in between the 2 cells, its all kicking off.

im currently watching something down near glastonbury looks very heavy down that way.

fromey

image.png

Edited by fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Nothing here, and looking at the way it's moving - I ain't going to see anything.

At least it will be dry when I take the dog out later.

Posted

Channel killing off any chance, storms favouring firing up further inland.

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Channel killing off any chance, storms favouring firing up further inland.

i agree, i cant see it being any more than moderate to heavy rain!! shame really, started to look promising for a short while.

fromey 

Posted

pretty much a damp squib down here, bog standard rain!

anybody got anything exciting going on elsewhere in the region 

Fromey

Posted

Fog earlier but lifted quickly now sunny with a touch of St. Temp 11C and a zephyr from the south.

The convective activity likely confined to the east of the region with Cornwall being mainly sunny.

ens_max1hrprecip_24.pngens_meanprecip.png

Edited by knocker

Posted

It was a pretty decent day yesterday for storm activity. I was in Taunton until lunchtime when the main storm hit. Nice CGs were raining down around the county town and the rain was very impressive. Asda really needs to sort out there roof with various leaks and drips everywhere! 

Not sure about today as yet, looked promising around an hour ago with blue sky appearing, but since then, a low grey cloud cover has now encroached the area which will limit any storm growth. Early days (or hours!) yet, so hoping something will develop to make it day 2! Looking like it could be the last day for a while for storm activity too.

What I really want is a hot and muggy plume to come up from the continent overnight to really get some decent lightning! Still waiting for that!

Edited by tornadomanuk
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, tornadomanuk said:

It was a pretty decent day yesterday for storm activity. I was in Taunton until lunchtime when the main storm hit. Nice CGs were raining down around the county town and the rain was very impressive. Asda really needs to sort out there roof with various leaks and drips everywhere! 

Not sure about today as yet, looked promising around an hour ago with blue sky appearing, but since then, a low grey cloud cover has now encroached the area which will limit any storm growth. Early days (or hours!) yet, so hoping something will develop to make it day 2! Looking like it could be the last day for a while for storm activity too.

What I really want is a hot and muggy plume to come up from the continent overnight to really get some decent lightning! Still waiting for that!

Looking at the rain radar showers are getting going around the midlands(Birmingham) and south wales, looks to be coming in our general direction.

the sun is out here and temps are responding.

fromey 

image.png

Edited by fromey

Posted

Looking at the direction the showers are moving in, expect the storm killer (aka Bristol Channel) to shred them to pieces before they get here.

Posted

Under a heavy shower at the moment that's just popped up over Salisbury. It should pick up further as it heads off towards the New Forest.

Posted

Just 1mm of rain, please...

I take it back. I've started doing stuff in the garden, I don't need the rain. lol

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Just 1mm of rain, please...

I take it back. I've started doing stuff in the garden, I don't need the rain. lol

Did you not get anything this morning? A shower developed near Westbury/Warminster around 07.00 and intensified/expanded as it drifted Southwards.

Lovely at the moment with sunshine and a lot of TCu/AC, kind of wishing I had plumped to do some washing this morning but too late now with developments to the North.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Did you not get anything this morning? A shower developed near Westbury/Warminster around 07.00 and intensified/expanded as it drifted Southwards.

Lovely at the moment with sunshine and a lot of TCu/AC, kind of wishing I had plumped to do some washing this morning but too late now with developments to the North.

Just had a thunder shower .. 7 good shots of thunder. Not bad for a piddly cell. :)

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Just had a thunder shower .. 7 good shots of thunder. Not bad for a piddly cell. :)

i just noticed that, it seemed to be around corfe castle area, also something kicking off around the dorchester area now as well.

fromey

• Like 1