Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & CS England Weather Discussion Spring 2016 (26th March ------->)

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A lovely crisp 02.8C to start the day with deep blue skies and a slight breeze. A welcome start to November.

Edited by MP-R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What a lovely cold crisp and clear morning here in Oxford. Overnight low here of 0.4c. First frost of the season. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A low of 3.8°C here this morning. It was blue skies from the word go, a few bits & pieces of cloud bubbled up thereafter.

Temp: 11.4°C - Hum: 64% - Dew: 4.9°C - Bar: 1025.30hPa - Wind: NNW ~ NNE @ 8mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Just spent this morning digging garden ready for the winter ,realy great out there ,last night was good for some sky watching great clear sky ,we do have some interesting weather ahead ,lets hope this winter can deliver some interesting weather ,perhaps a nice mix to please all , just love it when a deep cover of snow is lit by a low sun , A quiet night with the stars twinkling and a stella up the wood shed :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Well got my digging up garden done ,even had a sausage bap with pickle ,lovely day weatherwise ,still quite a few ladybirds around , suppose make the most of this settled weather as it looks a bit chilly and unsettled in short outlook .:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Another sunny day here but felt noticeably colder. High temperature was 11.8°C. Currently 8.8°C and dropping quickly. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

Wonderful not to have low cloud or fog this morning, a slight frost which led into a mostly sunny fresh day.

The sunset has been marvellous to watch while feeding my boy but unable to take decent photos through the window.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Temperature taking a nice tumble after today's high of 12.7°C - Currently at 7.4°C and need to go below 2.4°C

chart (13).png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

first winters day, lovely. :D

Max of 8.6c and falling rapidly this evening. 1.8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

just got back from running group, a lovely crisp 4 degrees, I love this time of year especially as it's nice and dry. Was a bit party to start with but soon got toasty! Can't wait to see what this winter will bring... is it looking anything g like 2010 synoptically or is it a completely different set up? I haven't a clue 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
22 minutes ago, khodds said:

just got back from running group, a lovely crisp 4 degrees, I love this time of year especially as it's nice and dry. Was a bit party to start with but soon got toasty! Can't wait to see what this winter will bring... is it looking anything g like 2010 synoptically or is it a completely different set up? I haven't a clue 

Well it's very different synoptically from the last 3 dull winters.... for the better. (If you like the cold)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Coldest night of the season here. Dropped to 1.9°C so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

-0.6c here under clear skies, coldest temperature since late spring this year. Taste of wintry things to come. 

Posted
9 hours ago, festivalking said:

Well it's very different synoptically from the last 3 dull winters.... for the better. (If you like the cold)

Yes, intriguing. Next week remains tricky: as of last night, a switch to a more mobile, milder W'ly pattern was slightly more favoured to emerge onwards into mid-month (60% prob), albeit the opposite scenario (retention of cold blocked set-up) had fairly sizeable minority backing (40%). The 00z EC ENS are awaited, of course, to assess level of support for the deterministic run. In many respects, recent GFS runs towards mid-month seem over-cooked (re scope of more vigorous westerly patterns) and are viewed with suspicion. The more favoured outcome at present remains a slightly higher chance of a transient westerly phase into mid-month (coupled to a bounce-back in temps), but a likely resumption of cold, blocked scenarios later in Nov (postage stamps from GloSea showing a variety of these). As we've seen in previous winters, expect operational models to struggle/take a few bites to adequately synthesise the route ahead, set against emergent influences (MJO expected into phase 7/8; and ongoing stratospheric shenanigans).

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Yes, intriguing. Next week remains tricky: as of last night, a switch to a more mobile, milder W'ly pattern was slightly more favoured to emerge onwards into mid-month (60% prob), albeit the opposite scenario (retention of cold blocked set-up) had fairly sizeable minority backing (40%). The 00z EC ENS are awaited, of course, to assess level of support for the deterministic run. In many respects, recent GFS runs towards mid-month seem over-cooked (re scope of more vigorous westerly patterns) and are viewed with suspicion. The more favoured outcome at present remains a slightly higher chance of a transient westerly phase into mid-month (coupled to a bounce-back in temps), but a likely resumption of cold, blocked scenarios later in Nov (postage stamps from GloSea showing a variety of these). As we've seen in previous winters, expect operational models to struggle/take a few bites to adequately synthesise the route ahead, set against emergent influences (MJO expected into phase 7/8; and ongoing stratospheric shenanigans).

Thanks for the update Ian. I await the ecm ens with some interest this morning. The battle between the energy emanating from the west and the HP potential blocking is quite intriguing.

• Like 1

Posted

Bright & brisk this morning with a low of 1.1°C and Bournemouth Airport down @ -2°C, pleasant sunrise in the making over the channel.

Ice scraping returns, at long last..

Posted

First frost today, since last winter. Very slight and easily taken off with a finger swipe.

Got down to 2.4c at 2:30am
Now 3.8c bright with a light grey sky.
1022.9 hPa , WSW wind and very light.

It was a lovely sunny day and evening yesterday 13c, but spoilt by getting dark at 4.30pm :( 

Posted

Hi folks this was spotted over Dartmoor late yesterday afternoon. I did see it in the distance but someone else took a photo and was asking what it was. It's not from a fire apparently or do think they were mistaken?!!! Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 09.16.54.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Temperature got down to 1C before my sensor blanked out and hasn't been reading since. Had some frost on roofs and the car roof but I think it had warmed up a little bit by the time I got up compared to actual minimum.

Milky skies today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I do love a nice crisp frosty morning, I don't like having to de-ice not only my car but the wife's as well...:nonono:

Why is that always my job? Apparently I love the weather so much, I should be at one with it at every opportunity, is the response I got...... Touche !! 

Not really much I could say to that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, fergieweather said:

I think this just emphasises just how difficult it is to get a clear signal for cold this side of the Atlantic. Everything is in place for cold to reach our shores, but being so far West, we are right on the edge of uncertainty.

That's the joy of living on the little Island.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

Hi folks this was spotted over Dartmoor late yesterday afternoon. I did see it in the distance but someone else took a photo and was asking what it was. It's not from a fire apparently or do think they were mistaken?!!! Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 09.16.54.png

Looks like a plane contrail catching the setting sun.

• Like 1