Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & CS England Weather Discussion Spring 2016 (26th March ------->)

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Reached 17.4°C in the end today. Looks like it could be some time before we see that again. 

• Like 1

Posted

A nice day and pretty warm too reaching 18.0C.

Colder this evening, it's currently 6.5C here down in the valley but there is a very strong contrast between here at 25m altitude and less than a mile west on a hill at 65m, it was 6.6C here and 14.1C up there just after 9pm, a difference of 7.5C! (about 2-3C is more normal on clear calm nights). It's still 13.1C up there now.

It appears a slight ESE breeze is bringing warmer air over the top of the colder (denser) air that is still sat in the valley down here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 hours ago, khodds said:

Bets on when the Atlantic rain train will break through?! 

Just in time for the start of winter. :laugh:

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

Posted

A fair bit of cloud with mist  but the low stratus is breaking up leaving some quite impressive Ci/contrails. Looks like being a pleasant day with the temp currently 12C with an easterly zephyr.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
8 hours ago, fergieweather said:

It may not (in any pronounced sense)... a very different probabilistic look to the coming weeks ahead ;-)

Thanks Ian - you've brightened up my morning! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

It may not (in any pronounced sense)... a very different probabilistic look to the coming weeks ahead ;-)

It would be lovely to get some more seasonal weather, frost & fog with autumn colours - can't beat it (apart from snow)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Another peasouper this morning up here in the Mendips, hope it turns into a day as nice as yesterday. The warmth and sun yesterday prompted a very strange thing yesterday....clouds of Ladybirds, literally thousands of them everywhere, covering every surface. Very odd, never seen anything like it before. Tried reporting it in the Nature thread but the page won't stop scrolling, making it impossible to post!

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, khodds said:

Thanks Ian - you've brightened up my morning! 

Note I mentioned *probabilistic* output (you'll see more on that later today). However, spread in plumes next week onwards is very marked. There's a growing but presently 20% assessed chance of Atlantic mobility/zonality appearing later this month and the upturn in temp anomalies appearing towards end of Nov, whilst tentative in latest 30-d suites, may be instructive in this respect. What longevity any such phase yields (should it indeed verify) is another matter, set against the background probabilistic tone as we switch into winter. Current view is it may prove temporary....

Edited by fergieweather
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I got a feeling watching the local weather last night Ian that you were hinting at there being a chance of it turning much colder as we head in to winter proper (or maybe that was just my wishful thinking). I know at that range nothing is certain but after the very mild winters of the last few years I do hope so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
1 hour ago, jethro said:

Another peasouper this morning up here in the Mendips, hope it turns into a day as nice as yesterday. The warmth and sun yesterday prompted a very strange thing yesterday....clouds of Ladybirds, literally thousands of them everywhere, covering every surface. Very odd, never seen anything like it before. Tried reporting it in the Nature thread but the page won't stop scrolling, making it impossible to post!

Same here on west mendip ,Lady birds about ,and bumble bees out and about  certainly a great autumn day ,very misty and chilly out now though .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Fog and wind was quite a weird combination to wake up to this morning. Lifted a bit now to just greyness, feeling cooler than yesterday too.

Posted
3 hours ago, jethro said:

I have had that continually scrolling page issue a few times too though have been able to quickly click the reply button and enter a post, give it a try if the issue recurs.

Were they the horrid Harlequin ladybirds? They seem to come out on warm Autumn afternoons looking for hibernation places, might be worth a look in your window frames if you aired your house in the warm sun like we did.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Fog.  Cloud base 60 ft. 10.2c.      White Rabbit....

Posted
3 hours ago, John88B said:

I got a feeling watching the local weather last night Ian that you were hinting at there being a chance of it turning much colder as we head in to winter proper (or maybe that was just my wishful thinking). I know at that range nothing is certain but after the very mild winters of the last few years I do hope so.

Can now let this cat out of bag.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/services/public-sector/contingency-planners

Sorry had to sit on this until formally released in last few minutes!

• Like 9

Posted
7 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

;-) I guess this will have this forum rocking.

Posted
8 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

excellent update  we might even see some white stuff this year

Posted

So far it's been a cracking day here and felt quite warm up the town just now. Broken cloud with some high Ac and little wind although the ragged St is currently making another appearance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Foggy again this morning, lifted to leave blue skies, but now it's overcast and feeling chilly.

Temp: 11.5°C - Hum: 91% - Dew: 10.1°C - Bar: 1023.71hPa - Wind: N ~ NNE @ 6mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
4 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

I have had that continually scrolling page issue a few times too though have been able to quickly click the reply button and enter a post, give it a try if the issue recurs.

Were they the horrid Harlequin ladybirds? They seem to come out on warm Autumn afternoons looking for hibernation places, might be worth a look in your window frames if you aired your house in the warm sun like we did.

I've tried clicking, your fingers must be quicker than mine, I can't get the damn thing to work - the strat thread's the same for me, wonder if it's something to do with the Twitter links?

I checked the Ladybirds, if they'd been Harlequins I'd have squished the blighters! Genuinely never seen so many, only time I can remember swarms like yesterday was in the hot summer of 1976 - very odd!

Back on the weather....the pea soup lifted to reveal a leaden, grey sky; not the best of days, especially after yesterday. Roll on the snow to lift the light levels several notches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
5 hours ago, fergieweather said:

Thanks Ian - I had a very brief look at it.. guess it's looking good for us coldies?

can any one summarise it for me please (my brain is frazzled after a day nursing!)

Posted

A day of two halves here with a sunny and fairly warm morning followed by a cool cloudy afternoon. Temperature reached 14.4°C his morning before dropping when the cloud came over.