Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & CS England Weather Discussion Spring 2016 (26th March ------->)

A.J

Posted
12 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Hi khodds!

I've always had my own gut feelings about Winter, and I like to think I use a bit of knowledge of some seasonal/climatology models, but I keep them thoughts to myself usually. I'm totally on the fence about this coming Winter. We do have a lot of blocking going on, but how long can the Atlantic keep at bay? It would be rather unusual to keep it locked out for a whole season- its not impossible, but it would be a big surprise not to see it back in the not too distant future. Maybe we'll have some proper cold and settled spells earlier on, and mouthwatering charts for a time, before the Atlantic does strike! Many in this thread will know that I do get excited by snow, and I like it hot, but I don't class myself as a coldie, or a mildie for that matter. I accept what we get- i'm an all-rounder. I'll enjoy a good wind storm with lashings of heavy rain and then a follow on of thundery showers with hail mixed in, i'll also enjoy a cold frosty day with sunshine. As long as it isn't grey and benign for weeks, I really don't mind. Ideally, I'd like some juicy Atlantic storms, but also some cold & snowy periods too, a nice mixture would be good. :)

PS: Orionids to look out for in the early hours. astronomer1.gif

I saw a fantastic long, bright meteor at about 06.30 this morning as I was leaving home.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Saturday morning  Clear here about 02:00- 04:00 for the Orionids.   Meanwhile it is still misty with sunshine and broken cloud. 10.8c. 

Edited by ARTDEMOLE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Down to 4.6°C this morning. A cloudy start, brightened up with some good spells of sunshine after lunchtime. Temp maxed out at 14.6°C

Temp: 12.9°C - Hum: 69% - Dew: 7.4°C - Bar: 1019.68hPa - Wind: N ~ NNE @ 4mph.

Posted

After a fine morning with some Cu the afternoon became increasingly cloudy with some fairly large Cu, Ac and Ci and now just about total cover of Cs. Temp did reach 14C You can see that there is some quite warm and moist air above the inversion at 800mb on the midday ascent

2016102112.03808.skewt.parc.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Was 15.1c at 13:28..... Only 12  c in sunshine now.

Posted

Fine morning with some medium cloud/ Temp 8C and a light easterly.

Should stay fine and dry for today and tomorrow early but frontal rain will then encroach with some quite strong winds as well.

1hourprecip_d02_18.pngaccumprecip_d02_25.png925wind_d02_19.png

• Like 1

Posted

A low of 3.1°C this morning. It started off a bit foggy and remained overcast after that cleared away. The sun is out now, and feeling quite pleasant.

Temp: 12.2°C - Hum: 81% - Dew: 9°C - Bar: 1016.46hPa - Wind: NE ~ ENE @ 5mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A nice afternoon here after a chilly night which dropped to 5.1°C. Clear skies now and feels cold despite being 11°C. 

High remperature was 13.1°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: war, wet and stormy

Hi all, I'm visiting England in December from Australia. What kind of weather should I expect for this area? I'm assuming it will be reasonably cold considering its your winter then.

Posted
3 hours ago, hailstorm said:

Hi all, I'm visiting England in December from Australia. What kind of weather should I expect for this area? I'm assuming it will be reasonably cold considering its your winter then.

It's far too early to be able to forecast, however the basics are if the weather is coming from the East or North it will be mostly dry/cold and potentially wintry. If it's from the West it will be a mixture of chilly/showery and mild/wet. If it's from the South or South West it will be mild/balmy and frequently wet. The latter is what we had for virtually all of December last year with max temps of 13c-15c and min temps remaining in double figures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Morning all, back again for some winter weather watching fun (hopefully)!!  I must say the early signs are certainly more promising for something more seasonal than the previous few winters so fingers  crossed for plenty of frost, ice, freezing fog and of course the beautiful white stuff. Everything that can make the season such  a magical time. Cheers for now. John.

Posted

A low of 6.6°C this morning. A nice sunny start, but cloud bubbling up now, and feeling pretty chilly in that wind.

Temp: 11.9°C - Hum: 76% - Dew: 7.8°C - Bar: 1009.38hPa - Wind: ENE @ 10mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
4 hours ago, fergieweather said:

....and some very interesting ongoing signals for rest of Nov and 1st half of winter. Rest assured we have some very interesting model-watching coming our way :-) Enjoy.

Just spotted this in the Winter Thoughts and Hopes thread. Interesting!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I can feel the excitement building for the coming winter, just hope it's not going to be over too early! Good that Ian and co are picking up on interesting signals though - gives more reassurance 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Well a grey chilly start to the day, never really getting too warm, a fresh breeze didn't help either although it was nicer once the sun came out. Plenty of people off to Westonbirt when I was over that way earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Afternoon all, is it too early to come out of hibernation and start patiently waiting for scenes like this?

55257-Snowy-Day.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Never mind the chase for snow in the coming weeks, for Cornwall and much of Devon, a decent chance of something thundery to chase tomorrow. Some quite heavy/torrential downpours possible at least. Hi-res charts showing most instability reserved for Cornwall especially west Cornwall. South facing coasts also most prone. I reckon The Lizard peninsula being a good shout for something thundery tomorrow.

Euro4 even has some heavy ppn/something thundery over west Cornwall as early as 6am tomorrow.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted

I've been under blues and greens, and even some yellow echoes on the radar since 7pm, and not a single drop has fallen, nothing in the air either. Very strange!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've been under blues and greens, and even some yellow echoes on the radar since 7pm, and not a single drop has fallen, nothing in the air either. Very strange!

Anaprop at its best! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark N said:

Anaprop at its best! 

A bit large for that..

2016-10-23.png

Every forecast i've seen for the past two days said a short period of heavy rain. It must simple be evaporating before it hits the surface.