Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & CS England Weather Discussion Spring 2016 (26th March ------->)

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Early nightfall here! Angry looking storm on the Lizard. May make it here in Truro. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Great thunderstorm here in Truro. Torrential rain and had some very frequent lightning for a bit. A couple of very close strikes with almost instant thunder.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

I was in Salisbury today and experienced a cracking storm shortly after midday.  Fortunately, I was inside a pub with friends having lunch at the time!  Cleared and was fine at least until half three when I left.

Home here, I was surprised that the max temperature was only 21.8°C as it felt much warmer than that when I arrived home.  There was one storm here this morning according to my OH and the power was off for a short while too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A new line developed quickly, coming out of France. It looks to be heading toward Cornwall on it's current trajectory. 

2016-09-13 (14).png

Posted

Posted

Another storm here kicking off. Near constant lightning! :D

Posted

Very impressive storm here around 0245Z. Very frequent lightning and more torrential rain.

Now that's out of the way looks like a drier and warmer day all round in the south west.

ens_mean1hrprecip_31.pngens_max2mtemp_21.png

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

A few fog patches in the hollows this morning, a failry mild start and quite sunny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Have driven to Lyndhurst this morning for work and crossed a very very foggy Mendip first thing. In fact it was pretty much foggy all the way from Burrington to Shepton Mallet.

Nice day now though and just not feeling like September at all!

Posted
35 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Have driven to Lyndhurst this morning for work and crossed a very very foggy Mendip first thing. In fact it was pretty much foggy all the way from Burrington to Shepton Mallet.

Nice day now though and just not feeling like September at all!

It was nice earlier, but wall to wall low cloud here now.

Poor forecast for here...

Capture._FPNG.PNG

If you're returning later today, avoid the A338 after 7pm just before Salisbury. It's shut overnight this week.

The traffic is also rubbish between Fordingbridge and Downton this month for more roadworks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, jtay said:

It was nice earlier, but wall to wall low cloud here now.

Poor forecast for here...

Capture._FPNG.PNG

If you're returning later today, avoid the A338 after 7pm just before Salisbury. It's shut overnight this week.

The traffic is also rubbish between Fordingbridge and Downton this month for more roadworks.

Thanks for the heads up!

Posted

Another forecast gone awry! Yesterday it said it  would be sunshine all the way, and temps of 25°C
Bright start, then clouded over, brightened up again, now it has clouded over once more.

Temp: 19.8°C - Hum: 81% - Dew: 16.5°C - Bar: 1011.31hPa - Wind:  SW @ 6mph.

Edited by Mapantz
Sin is back out! Phew!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hot and humid here...28.6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

As that storm came in yesterday, it was like being back in America with a super cell approaching. The photo doesn't really do it justice. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Another forecast gone awry! Yesterday it said it  would be sunshine all the way, and temps of 25°C
Bright start, then clouded over, brightened up again, now it has clouded over once more.

Temp: 19.8°C - Hum: 81% - Dew: 16.5°C - Bar: 1011.31hPa - Wind:  SW @ 6mph.

Down @ Durlston this PM, well cloudy until we left then the cloud cleared and out came the sun...typical..

• Like 1

Posted

Here's yesterday's timelapse: http://www.warehamwx.co.uk/cumulus/timelapse.htm

There would have been a lot of lightning in it, but unfortunately, I have set it to capture an image every 30 seconds, so it missed it all. It's all trial and error at the moment, but i'll change it a shorter time period. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

How wonderful, during these hot nights, where sleep is going to be nearly impossible

The air fills with bonfire smoke, so i have a choice of closing up all the windows, and getting even hotter, or breathing that in

Man, winter can't arrive fast enough

Please no more December nights with 17c minimums like we had last year

Posted
2 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

How wonderful, during these hot nights, where sleep is going to be nearly impossible

The air fills with bonfire smoke, so i have a choice of closing up all the windows, and getting even hotter, or breathing that in

Man, winter can't arrive fast enough

Please no more December nights with 17c minimums like we had last year

Ha. We can beat that...

Yesterday,  Farmer Barleymow was out spreading chicken sh*te round here. It stank... We had to light a christmas candle before bed to mask the smell.

Posted
32 minutes ago, knocker said:

Only just got around to checking Camborne's 12 hour rainfall total at 06Z It was 39mm and most of that would have been during the two storms.

I forgot about that, I was going to tag you in a post when I looked at my extremes page: http://www.warehamwx.co.uk/cumulus/extremes.php

Culdrose in there too. I suspect some amateur stations recorded more than that too. I might have a hunt to see if I can find some. It certainly looked like a lot of rain on the radar. :)

A nice weather site here: http://carnkieweather.co.uk/index.php?page=records_day&Day=13&Month=09&Year=2016

Pretty much an inch in an hour or less.
At a guess, is it about 20 miles from you?

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
8 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I forgot about that, I was going to tag you in a post when I looked at my extremes page: http://www.warehamwx.co.uk/cumulus/extremes.php

Culdrose in there too. I suspect some amateur stations recorded more than that too. I might have a hunt to see if I can find some. It certainly looked like a lot of rain on the radar. :)

A nice weather site here: http://carnkieweather.co.uk/index.php?page=records_day&Day=13&Month=09&Year=2016

Pretty much an inch in an hour or less.
At a guess, is it about 20 miles from you?

Yes that Carnkie site is very good and it's about 6 miles from me. I did hear a report of 32mm in 15 minutes from somewhere but not confirmed. I think it quite possible.

Moving on to today.

Cloudy here with mist and temp 14C and no wind.

Looks like there could be some thundery activity in the east of the region late afternoon/early evening.

ens_mean700vort_24.pngens_max1hrprecip_25.pngens_mean1hrprecip_32.png

ens_max2mtemp_22.png

• Like 1