Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & CS England Weather Discussion Spring 2016 (26th March ------->)

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Hi lettice

I think that's exactly what it is, but scaled down and overcharged by Davis. prankster2.gif

I keep contemplating getting a UV sensor, probably because I just like a complete package, but it's not worth the money, and it's only useful 6 months of the year. I may have a look in to making my own, or getting a cheaper one and looking in to how I can get it working with the Davis transmitter.

On 20/07/2016 at 17:26, lettice said:

Nice to see that solar sensor working.
Real nice site setup you have there and its certainly worked well over the day or so.
Is that the same as what they used to call a Pyranometer.
Always wondered what it offers to us Amateur weather watchers, rarely see it mentioned.

A cloudy/hazy start, but it cleared up mid-morning to give a pretty nice day. It's quite windy though.. temp peaked at 23.5°C

Temp: 22.2°C - Hum: 58% - Dew: 13.5°C - Bar:  1021.03hPa  - Wind: WSW @ 6mph, gusting to 15mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Another hot and sunny day here, kids have been in and out of the paddling pool most of the day. 

Posted

I don't keep records,but this month is slowly becoming a problem for me as a gardener,i cant recall much rainfall at all much,a nightmare scenario for hanging baskets and tubs.No matter how often you tell folk to water every day,just a passing light shower gets the response,didnt water as we have had rain,the wilting foliage should be enough of a clue .....but no.

Posted
18 minutes ago, jy said:

I don't keep records,but this month is slowly becoming a problem for me as a gardener,i cant recall much rainfall at all much,a nightmare scenario for hanging baskets and tubs.No matter how often you tell folk to water every day,just a passing light shower gets the response,didnt water as we have had rain,the wilting foliage should be enough of a clue .....but no.

It's funny you should mention that.. I decided to look at my records that I had running through Weather Underground, and date back to February 1st 2011. It looks as though this month could be the driest I've recorded, if next week sees little or no rainfall. April 2011 stands as the driest month at the moment, at 9.3mm.

2016-07-23.png

Posted

thanks for the info,being selfish also the rivers are in a mess too,late evening fishing only,however the Avon is awash with fish farm escapee trout at the moment,a total disgrace..........sorry minor non weather related rant lol

• Like 1

Posted

No blue skies today just, a wash of white cloud.
19.9°C, 1019.7 hPa1019.7 hPa
Very light winds today, SSW

Only 8.8mm of rain this July,

The summer months have been quite mixed over the years for rainfall. Last months 90.4mm makes it a medium wet summer here.
Wettest being Aug 2-15 at 112.8 mm and closeby Jun 2012 at 122.4 mm
July holds my driest month since 2012 at 12.4mm in 2014.

Jul 2012 =  99.5 mm
Jul 2013 = 12.4 mm
Jul 2014 = 24.0 mm
Jul 2015 =  41.7 mm
Jul 2016 =  8.8 mm

One thing as a gardener, I never really mind watering each night, but this dry month has not stopped the slugs, just as many as ever this year.
Still as long as I can catch them before they do damage, makes for a nice rich nematode bucket concentrate for next year.
Mind, until this week, there really was not a lot of strong sun for the plants. But all is doing very well, so no complaints.

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

It's actually raining here!  Just a little, not enough to do any good to the garden, but enough to keep me indoors for a while.

Posted
2 hours ago, Lyn-M said:

It's actually raining here!  Just a little, not enough to do any good to the garden, but enough to keep me indoors for a while.

A single cell just passed over us, first rain in a wee while..aha 0.5mm well that's better than a kick in the crutch I guess..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Hi everyone, anyone hazard a guess at what to expect in the next few hours and overnight nr Glastonbury? I've got open foundation trenches that have filled with 2 inches of water in parts this afternoon !! Has the rain cleared up to the west yet?

Posted

Grand total of 0.2mm here, a few more spits and spots may come this way later but at this moment the sun's out!

Posted
2 hours ago, Somerseangel delightcher said:

Hi everyone, anyone hazard a guess at what to expect in the next few hours and overnight nr Glastonbury? I've got open foundation trenches that have filled with 2 inches of water in parts this afternoon !! Has the rain cleared up to the west yet?

Pretty much dry from now on, maybe a slight shower.

Posted

I was at Studland last night, fishing. I got down there around 8pm, it was still windy, but as darkness came, the wind died right off and became very pleasant. As soon as the moon appeared above the horizon, it felt like an F3 tornado developed right in front of me! It happened last week when I was at Swanage, but when it occurred then, a huge swell & waves developed, and it pushed right up the beach and flooded our mini base camp. Anyway, last night was productive in terms of catches (just not big enough to take home) - Bass, crabs, freshwater eels and smoothhounds.

WhatsApp-Image-20160725.jpeg

Quite a bit of cloud around this morning, but some decent sunny spells, feeling quite warm.

Temp: 20.7°C - Hum: 65% - Dew: 13.9°C - Bar: 1020.69hPa - Wind: WNW @ 3mph.

Posted
On 23/07/2016 at 16:46, Mapantz said:

I keep contemplating getting a UV sensor, probably because I just like a complete package, but it's not worth the money, and it's only useful 6 months of the year. I may have a look in to making my own, or getting a cheaper one and looking in to how I can get it working with the Davis transmitter.

I've contemplated that before, it's the only thing I don't have (apart from all the soil moisture/temp etc stuff..), but soon decided the same especially as it has less uses than the solar data, and if I want to see UV there's another Davis site less than a mile away.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably go all out.. UV, soil moisture/temp, leaf wetness etc etc :D

Anyway, quite a bit of cloud recently though Friday was nice with lots of sun. The odd shower and bits of rain over the last 2 days gave 1.4mm, bringing the monthly total to a whopping 5.8mm!

Posted
1 hour ago, Evening thunder said:

Anyway, quite a bit of cloud recently though Friday was nice with lots of sun. The odd shower and bits of rain over the last 2 days gave 1.4mm, bringing the monthly total to a whopping 5.8mm!

Wow blitzing St Catherine's Point on the IOW who own up to only 1mm this month. So close yet so different to our reading on the mainland and the IOW does well in rainfall usually, mind you it on the South side, i.e. the less rainy side..

• Like 1

Posted

Ironic,after bleating on about needing rain for weeks now to help my customers gardens to flourish,im off,for the first time to the New Forest show tomorrow,after 25 years down here,the forecast it seems to be for .............lol,ironic indeed.

Posted

My driest month record is still on, the bbc fudged that forecast up. The regional one had us down for 3 or 4 hours of rainfall, all we had was a tiny shower this morning, dropping 0.4mm.

Temp: 17.7°C - Hum: 91% - Dew: 16.2°C - Bar: 1016.49hPa - Wind: WSW @ 3mph.

Posted

Rain amounted to pretty much nothing again, so my driest month is also on (still at 5.8mm).

A cloudy morning but that has broken with sunny intervals, wind turned westerly and it's really warmed up with a max so far of 24.7C! Nice surprise.
Probably due to shelter and maybe a slight foehn effect from Dartmoor.

Posted
On 7/27/2016 at 10:04, Mapantz said:

My driest month record is still on, the bbc fudged that forecast up. The regional one had us down for 3 or 4 hours of rainfall, all we had was a tiny shower this morning, dropping 0.4mm.

Temp: 17.7°C - Hum: 91% - Dew: 16.2°C - Bar: 1016.49hPa - Wind: WSW @ 3mph.

Wow, you were lucky, as it passed over Poole is faded into just a few drops, with a spell of drizzle later, leaving us with 0.2mm, just enough to prove the front had passed..

Looks like some folks west of Salisbury are seeing something more substantial right now, with a narrow and short length intense area of rain passing through..

Posted

ah well,the rain didn't quite manage to cover the roads,about half an hour then out popped the sun,not sure if that's it or more to come.

Posted

Rain?  What rain?  Absolutely nothing here at all, in fact the afternoon has been warm and sunny.

Posted

Hit by an intense downpour earlier this afternoon, and currently another is passing over. Before that rain and drizzle on and off through the late morning/early afternoon. Will all add a bit to an otherwise dry month. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just had a shower giving nearly 12mm in 15 minutes.

Edited by matt111

Posted

Rain?
No rain here since the 12th July, despite many forecasts saying we were getting some earlier this week.
Would be nice to lose some of this cloud, temp looks to be much the same 19-21c over the next few days and similar 17-19c humid nights, but dry and light Westerly winds.

Posted

2.4mm here this afternoon in one hefty shower, brings the month's total to 6mm.