Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat - Spring Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Morning all, Today looking cloudy with a stiff easterly breeze making it cool 10c - 11c for most, rain pushing up from the south over night but never making it, just fizzling out, tomorrow another cloudy, cool day with a few outbreaks of very light drizzle, now't to worry your day about. The rest of the week is dry and mainly on the cool side 13c - 14c, any sunshine will make it feel a touch warmer...hoping for a little more sunshine then....for now:wink:

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Although this month hasn't been particularly sunny here ( 55.6 hrs so far which is 103% of average for the first 23 days of October) there hasn't been one completely sunless day. 1989 holds the record for fewest sunless days in October with 2 so we'll see what happens this week.

A beautiful day here in the Peaks... lots of sunshine after a wet start... not to cold all in all a nice Autumn day... just be over in the winter hopes thread and Fergiweather has dropped a big tease.

Posted

Cloudy with a few spits & spots first thing this morning, currently 9.2c hopefully it may break at times to give a few glimpses come this afternoon, not holding my breath though.

A cool cloudy start here this morning... got to say Riber Castle looks stunning set back behind the trees with there autumn colours on show... cant wait to see it covered in Snow..

Posted
24 minutes ago, More Snow said:

A cool cloudy start here this morning... got to say Riber Castle looks stunning set back behind the trees with there autumn colours on show... cant wait to see it covered in Snow..

With you on that one....like your name suggest with a little exaggeration, LOADS More Snow :cold-emoji::wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 hours ago, More Snow said:

I'm sure you will, the NW'lys give a dumping to the Peaks area, while just sleet at best here, normally pure rain

yep cold zonal will do the job here more often than not... apart from last winter... one dusting is all we managed... this year looks very different as we head toward winter...

Static weather continues this side of the border. The pressure has not dipped below 1000 for a couple of months now and seems stuck around the 1012-1014 mark. Stiff easterly of recent days has abated to a 1.6mph breeze with no particular direction. 7.6C, light cloud, dry.

A very foggy start here today... couldnt see Riber castle at all until 11am... then nice and sunny... not to cold not warm either... 11c at 3pm.. was 14c in Alfreton guess that extra bit of elevation and less built up area does the trick... some beautiful colours on the trees around here today.. not often we still have trees with leafs at this stage in autumn so nice to see..

Posted
11 hours ago, Greyowl55 said:

Static weather continues this side of the border. The pressure has not dipped below 1000 for a couple of months now and seems stuck around the 1012-1014 mark. Stiff easterly of recent days has abated to a 1.6mph breeze with no particular direction. 7.6C, light cloud, dry.

you must get snow off PM air! hope to see as little PM air as possible living here, my least favourite airstream every month of the year

20 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

you must get snow off PM air! hope to see as little PM air as possible living here, my least favourite airstream every month of the year

Ha! Alas, only a couple of days of rather pathetic wet snow for the last couple of years, after years and years of 'decent' winters. Even a frost is a rarity nowadays. My SO is from the Black Country and would share your views. Plays havoc with my Rayburn too, producing nasty down drafts due to surrounding hills.

A useful couple of hours today spent servicing the station; new batteries, WD40 the wind speed and wind direction sensors, and dismantling the rain gauge to remove the earwig nest which had incapacitated it. Ready for the winter, if we get one.

Mild today - overcast, 14.6C, 3.1mph NW'ly, 1021mb. The rain gauge only shows 26mm because I've poured that amount of water through it to check it works. Otherwise  -  dry :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

If this anticyclonic weather continues for much longer  autumn 2016 will be challenging for the driest on record here. Just 87.7 mm so far which is 48% of the average rainfall from Sept 1st to Oct' 27th.

The 5 driest autumns I've recorded at this site are;

1978      149.1 mm

1989      184.8 mm

1985      186.2mm

2003      186.2mm

2011      188.5 mm

Not much to be read into the winters following dry, anticylonic autumns from those statistics. 1978/79 and 1985/86 were both cold and snowy. 1989/90 was wet, mild and stormy and 2004/05 and 2011/12 were both on the dry side and mild or very mild.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

The finest of drizzle this morning. Not good as the house is being painted. :( Otherwise it's been a very dry spell here.

Edited by Barbmac

Posted

Just got back from a seasonably spooky foggy hungry bentley/alkmonkton where a friend had halloween party.... driving back with all the trees yellow/orange/red....soooo pretty.... looking forward to winter.... hoping for at least one decent fall with snow drifting over the lanes.... 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Just got back from a seasonably spooky foggy hungry bentley/alkmonkton where a friend had halloween party.... driving back with all the trees yellow/orange/red....soooo pretty.... looking forward to winter.... hoping for at least one decent fall with snow drifting over the lanes.... 

I'm not, but you look like seeing snow from around 6th Nov, me, well I 'd like another 2-3 weeks of Indian summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Dull locally drizzly day here. Temp stayed around 13C all day.

If only it was next sunday!!!!!

Guess what happens then? Yep the Russians are sailing thru the English Channel again.

This time they are going to bring some ice floes with them:D, instead of acrid black smoke!

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Dull locally drizzly day here. Temp stayed around 13C all day.

If only it was next sunday!!!!!

Guess what happens then? Yep the Russians are sailing thru the English Channel again.

This time they are going to bring some ice floes with them:D, instead of acrid black smoke!

MIA

next Sunday looks vile, rain most of day for NW of the region, coming through Cheshire gap, probably 8° as well, summer's gone

Posted

GREY....Autumnal days :ninja: Yawn!!!!

Hoping for a Little brightness come tomorrow pm

Autumn almost finished with and Winter around the corner......:cold:

The best season by miles and maybe starting early :good: 

Lets hope we have some good snowfalls:yahoo::help:

In which hopefully  we will have good times ahead in the Midlands regional thread..............WINTER IS DUE.... :gathering: 

• Like 1

A very foggy start here this morning... Riber castle looked stunning as she poked out of the fog as it slowly cleared... took the kids to a party in Belper this evening and i must say how beautiful the colours were as we drove through the twisting lanes... stunning to see at this late stage of the season... now its time to start getting this colder weather in and keep it here for 5 months...

Edited by Guest

Posted
11 hours ago, More Snow said:

A very foggy start here this morning... Riber castle looked stunning as she poked out of the fog as it slowly cleared... took the kids to a party in Belper this evening and i must say how beautiful the colours were as we drove through the twisting lanes... stunning to see at this late stage of the season... now its time to start getting this colder weather in and keep it here for 5 months...

should see sunnier weather from tomorrow, but rain risk friday

3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

should see sunnier weather from tomorrow, but rain risk friday

Horrible drizzle here today and defo feel the difference in the temperature too.... as long as the rain is gone through by Saturday as doing fireworks display for the kids... ive also committed the worse sin ever and told them its 100% going to snow this winter... i know i know i know... i shouldnt have done it but they been asking for weeks and weeks....

Posted
7 hours ago, More Snow said:

Horrible drizzle here today and defo feel the difference in the temperature too.... as long as the rain is gone through by Saturday as doing fireworks display for the kids... ive also committed the worse sin ever and told them its 100% going to snow this winter... i know i know i know... i shouldnt have done it but they been asking for weeks and weeks....

not bad prediction, If I lived in your location I would be as well, you may even see a few flurries on 6-7 Nov

Posted
20 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not bad prediction, If I lived in your location I would be as well, you may even see a few flurries on 6-7 Nov

Yep I think a lot will see snow this year  fingers crossed 

Posted

Big difference from yesterday to now, in my back yard anyway!

Yesterday's high 17.9c

Today's high 10.9c

Currently now at 3.2c

Looking forward to some good old frosty mornings...starting with tomorrow morning :cold::D