Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat - Spring Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A maximum of 23.3c here today despite a completely cloudy afternoon. Only 7 Septembers in the last 40 years have recorded a higher maximum than this and 5 of those have been since 2000.

• Like 1

Posted

Overnight low of 19c last night very muggy indeed, decent spells of sunshine this morning then grey from 11:30 onwards, max of 23c.

Posted

Another remarkably warm night for September with a 24 hr min' of 16.7c. That's the highest 24 hr min' in September here since I started recording in 1963 and is also 1.2c higher than the 30 year average September maximum temperature.

Posted

The cold front wasn't as active here as the Met Office were suggesting; just 4.0 mm of rain from a fragmented and quite narrow band of rain.. At the moment we're right on the western edge of the rain area which seems to have increased in extent and intensity the moment it got to the east of Derbyshire.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Terminal Moraine said:

The cold front wasn't as active here as the Met Office were suggesting; just 4.0 mm of rain from a fragmented and quite narrow band of rain.. At the moment we're right on the western edge of the rain area which seems to have increased in extent and intensity the moment it got to the east of Derbyshire.

not bloody stopped here

Posted

Another brief burst of warmth this week on the way. Could be the last one? Bit too early to say probably, as from previous years we know we can get warmth right up to Halloween!

Maybe..just maybe a chance of something a little thundery this week but don't want to get excited about that yet.

Enjoying all while I can before another winter trudges along. Used to love the approach of the winter months but haven't got the energy to get excited for winter this time after the last 3 efforts..and to be honest, I've actually quite liked this summer just gone. It has at least managed to re-kindle some of my interest in the weather!

Edited by Gord

Posted

Thank goodness i'm escaping this grotty climate, another grey Saturday to add to the 30 odd others this year :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
8 hours ago, Terminal Moraine said:

You are correct TM.

The front did trail back before moving into the south east.

It has only just started to brighten up here after a day of continuous drizzle, with an odd burst of heavy rain.

Total, I have recorded in the last 24 hours is 11.6 mms.

Also my maximum temperature for today is just 14.6C. I thought it was supposed to be warm! 

MIA

Posted
3 hours ago, Gord said:

Another brief burst of warmth this week on the way. Could be the last one? Bit too early to say probably, as from previous years we know we can get warmth right up to Halloween!

Maybe..just maybe a chance of something a little thundery this week but don't want to get excited about that yet.

Enjoying all while I can before another winter trudges along. Used to love the approach of the winter months but haven't got the energy to get excited for winter this time after the last 3 efforts..and to be honest, I've actually quite liked this summer just gone. It has at least managed to re-kindle some of my interest in the weather!

agree, summer my favourite season now, used to be Winter before 2000, TMW sucks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!

I have to say it has been a truly abysmal summer i can count the amount of sunny weekends on 1 hand! I could normally balance that out by saying i had 3 weeks off in summer and saw plenty of sun, but that was non existent the 3 weeks i had off i saw 2 days sun! 

This summer wont live long in my memory! Well apart from sweltering in an office all day while the jobless bums of Telford got wasted, so when your lad has an accident your waiting 4 hours because A+E was full of drunk idiots at 6pm in the evening! But thats another story. 

So the sooner winter gets here the better!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Shane Wheeldon said:

I have to say it has been a truly abysmal summer i can count the amount of sunny weekends on 1 hand! I could normally balance that out by saying i had 3 weeks off in summer and saw plenty of sun, but that was non existent the 3 weeks i had off i saw 2 days sun! 

This summer wont live long in my memory! Well apart from sweltering in an office all day while the jobless bums of Telford got wasted, so when your lad has an accident your waiting 4 hours because A+E was full of drunk idiots at 6pm in the evening! But thats another story. 

So the sooner winter gets here the better!

good summer I think, Sept good as well, could it be warmer than Jul and Aug, and yes other thing you mentioned, few around Stafford that should be sent on full time work activity schemes, them well and on ESA

having said that, today is an absolute jaffa cakes take, rained all day, and sun comes out now, clearing sky, still been and still is a good summer though

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted

It looks as if Tuesday could easily break the temperature date record here which currently stands at 20.5c in 1991, closely followed by 20.3c in 2006. The date record for the 14th could also be under threat, currently 21.9c in 2003.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Enjoy the heat midweek. Will not get too hot here but hopefully some warm sun somewhere. However today has been glorious down here with near wall to wall sun this afternoon. Had a very enjoyable hike on the SW coast path from St Austell to Mevagissey. Perfect walking conditions today. :)

Posted

The sun is struggling to burn through the cloud this morning. Just a few seconds of sunshine so far today and a current temp' of 16.2c with a moderate S breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Showers breaking out all over the place in Glos/Herefs/Worcs now, looking at the radar. Dry here in Bewdley and reasonably warm, but increasingly gloomy. Hopefully it'll push through quickly enough to give some brightness before dusk. Tomorrow and Weds both look potentially gorgeous if we can stay dry and get a decent amount of sunshine. Would like to break 25 °C one last time this year.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Light rain for the past hour here, Nice and refreshing. Personally I'm not looking forward to the next few days, May-well have to get the Hammock out!

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

19.2c at 0800 g.m.t is just 1.3c short of the date record ( since 1977) here so almost a certainty that will fall. I'm wondering how close the max' will get to the overall September record of 25.3c in 2006.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
8 hours ago, Terminal Moraine said:

19.2c at 0800 g.m.t is just 1.3c short of the date record ( since 1977) here so almost a certainty that will fall. I'm wondering how close the max' will get to the overall September record of 25.3c in 2006.

TM..

Is that correct? Your day record high has not reached 21.0C since 1977?

Seems very low....

On another track.

Suddenly, out of a totally blue sky we have scattered castellated clouds developing rapidly to the SSW from here.

Wasn't expecting that this early!. Temperature  already at 22.0C . 

Lets see how this progresses!.

Well - a cracking storm we've just  ended up with.

Sheet Lightening overhead with some crawlers all around from nowhere in about 5 minutes and lasted about 20 minutes. A lot of people at the golf club were quite scared!!

Just shows how these early clouds, I spoke about at 10:00 o clock this morning,(reproduced above) can foretell the atmosphere...

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Really, really disappointed right now, for reasons I'll explain, so please excuse me if I don't join in the excitement at any storminess... some of my family are meeting another relative today they haven't seen in over a decade. They're in Gloucestershire and desperately wanted a dry, warm afternoon. Sunshine would be a bonus but being able to enjoy the local countryside was the main thing. The forecast last night suggested they might get at least half of one... but just look at it now. :(

Back here in Bewdley, it's been overcast for some hours now (nothing like the beautiful sunny weather the nearest recording station -- Pershore -- apparently still has) but it is very warm at 23.5 °C . Feeling sticky and uncomfortable, and tbh I'd happy drop five degrees for some pleasant sunshine. Maybe Thursday will be the day. Oh well, that's just the weather for you I guess, but it doesn't make me feel any happier!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Intense storm going on here, the second most lively in the last 8 yrs living in this area. Torrential rain, frequent lightning, loud thunder!

Posted

Now very dark with steady rain and thunder rumbling around. No close strikes, though -- a pretty unexceptional storm as things stand.

Posted
4 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

TM..

Is that correct? Your day record high has not reached 21.0C since 1977?

Seems very low....

On another track.

Suddenly, out of a totally blue sky we have scattered castellated clouds developing rapidly to the SSW from here.

Wasn't expecting that this early!. Temperature  already at 22.0C . 

Lets see how this progresses!.

Yes, it's correct MIA. The highest temperature here on Sept' 13th is 20.5c in 1991, at least it was until today. The Davis on the roof mast is currently reading 25.2c so the date record has well and truly gone. The overall September max' must now be in serious danger too as there's rarely more than 0.4c difference between the Davis and the screen temp', the Davis almost always being a little higher.

• Like 1