Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat - Spring Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Thunderstorm here now. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

rain and thunder here in aston

Posted

Thunder in knighton but that will go NW,getting darker now.

A strike just below ironbridge.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Maxed out at 21.8 °C earlier this afternoon, another 2016 high. Now overcast and very muggy, with rain on and off and occasional rumbles of thunder, though nothing very close or spectacular.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Sferics over Telford! Hopefully Conor is getting something. :)

A little disappointed things got very interesting just north of here however a nice little storm nonetheless with some lightning flashes and good rumbles of thunder. Those storms to the north gave at least 20 minutes of non stop thunder. Very impressive!

Posted

Have had a thunderstorm here. Was walking home from work in Aldridge and it was quite overcast and humid with a few distant rumbles. By the time I got to Walsall Wood it a few flashes started and then boom, the heavens completely opened and though it may be a bit of a cliche I don't think I've ever seen rain like that. It was coming down so heavy visibility was impaired the roads started flooding and I had the drenching of my life. There was a bit of hail mixed in too. The thunder seems to have ended now though, but it's not a bad start considering we didn't get any thunder (as far as I remember) until July last year and then only once. There certainly has like snow been very little thunder round here the last few years, hopefully 2016 can give us some interesting weather back.

Posted

Forgot to note today makes thunderstorm number 4 of 2016 so far. Not bad considering it is just the first week of May! So yes it may get cooler again next weekend but if the jet stays in such a meridional state, it probably wont be long till the next southerly feed of warmth again. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
Just now, Dancerwithwings said:

DWW.

Amazing really this last storm electrified over the top of me (nearly in Acocks green) and then went beserk 3 miles further north,

Didn't you get anything from the rumbles at about 15:30?

It looked to be over Knowle way somewhere, but the thunder was quite loud. Perhaps it was c to c and it was way up in the clouds above you!

Ah well I am on holiday tonight, to sunny Teneriffe, so I might get some nice storms at night to watch.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

More like thundery rain this not the classic type,plenty of distant thunder to te south quite frequent in the last 80mins.

Sheet clouds.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Managed to get a decent storm explode over us out of nowhere in the end, good few flashes of lightning, was in the gym at the time though so couldn't really hear thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
49 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

DWW.

Amazing really this last storm electrified over the top of me (nearly in Acocks green) and then went beserk 3 miles further north,

Didn't you get anything from the rumbles at about 15:30?

It looked to be over Knowle way somewhere, but the thunder was quite loud. Perhaps it was c to c and it was way up in the clouds above you!

Ah well I am on holiday tonight, to sunny Teneriffe, so I might get some nice storms at night to watch.

MIA

How right you are...... same here, went straight over me then let rip Brum :bomb: ^^^ Northwards :nonono:

Heavy downpours and that was it for me....Anyway Mr Sky Blue for you MIA...Don't have too many...Hey Right!!!!! :laugh:

Posted

Yes, really was an active storm that tracked NNW over Birmingham. Looking back at radar imagery, looks like there were two separate cells - one a little to the SE of the other -which appear to have partly 'linked up' into one larger parent cell over, and as it was leaving, the region. What likely happened was fresh updraft(s) having developed in between these two cells. Radar reflectivity indicates the torrential rain and small-moderate size hail that occurred over the northern side of the city and Aldridge and Walsall regions.  The lightning, though frequent (a flash every 3-5 secs at peak), was largely, if not all, intra-cloud type and somewhat high-based.  May have been a few visible strikes somewhere, but I didn't witness any. Similar to an elevated storm. But was a potent storm nonetheless. 

Also of note were the dew point observations across the region.  Ahead of today meso. models were predicting 12s and 13s, which is generally what they were for a good part of the day. But from mid-afternoon, and after some showers wetted up the surface, DPs went to 15C/16C, which are decent figures when temps were still holding at 20-21C, and this would have likely contributed to the build-up of several 100j/kg CAPE. It's interesting as these figures were 2-3C higher than both meso. and, generally, GFS progs. The common expectation is that the models, especially the GFS, are likely overstating sfc moisture ahead of a day like today, but clearly that's no always the case in reality, as today proved that. It's something I made a mention of yesterday.  It looked likely 12-13C DPs would be reached, given model agreement, but did make a mention that if these figures were understated by 1-2C, CAPE in reality could be as high as was being modeled, and therefore potent storms were likely.  

Anyway, just some quick thoughts after today's events.  Certainly was a active day in all across the Midlands. Let's hope for much more over the rest of Spring and during Summer. 

Edited by weather09
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning, Lovely start to the day here mostly-sunny.gif

Where and when will the magic 25c mark will be reached..... some where in the Midlands ?....And maybe a little further tanny.gifENJOY

Posted

22c already...... Feel that warmth as soon as went out, summerlike day ahead....

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

Outstanding out there. Fast approaching 25c already around here. :D BBQ being lit in 2 hours time. :D

Posted

Wow 

27.9c was a current high so far from station just up the troad

Forecast for Matlock, DERBYSHIRE > 53.153 -1.569 > 195 m

Posted

That's it.... 25c ....Now what next....BEER GARDEN :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Made it! :D High of 25.4 °C here in Bewdley a couple of hours ago. Still a very nice 24 °C now, and unlike yesterday it should be a nice evening for relaxing in the garden without things being ruined by rain and pointless distant (for me) storms. So best day of the year so far IMO!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

proper summer today! temp I want everyday until mid 0ct, but imagine this exact setup 2 months from now? would be painfully hot with 40C possible in the SE, 35C this area

Posted

Well, I spoke too soon. It's raining. Right here, right now. Not hard, but enough to push me indoors until it stops. Totally unforecast, and I am not happy! :angry:

Edit 1830 BST: it did stop after about 10 minutes. Still cloudy, but a little brighter and pleasantly warm.

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted

Sunday curse finally broken, 24.2c high and decent spells of sunshine until around 4pm (then it turned grey for 3 hours with the odd spot of rain and threatening skies but nothing ever materialized in the end).