Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Katie

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The NetWx SR 4km model predicting gusts around 50-60mph across the far S/SE into Monday morning, higher along coastal areas. 

sr1.pngsr2.pngsr3.pngsr4.png

Strongest winds through the channel and along coastal areas on the ECM 00z, wind speeds around 30-40kts. 

ecmkts1.PNGecmkts.PNG

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Beeb has the system further east to my eyes and this will make all the difference. We shall see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow

Certainly had some quite squally gusts here early yesterday evening as the rain band moved through easily 35-40mph will be interesting to see if we get any potent squalls today's if any heavy / thundery showers pass overhead. Regarding tonight and tomorrow, looks like Katie will have cleared out into the North-Sea by the early afternoon tomorrow. Heavy rain and strengthening winds in the south-west from this evening then overnight the strongest of the winds will push up the channel and effect south facing coasts 60-70mph locally perhaps a tad more then the core of strongest winds will run up over South-Eastern areas tomorrow morning probably peaking around breakfast time with inland gusts 50-60mph locally more so definitely worth keeping an eye on things over the next 12 hours or so for any changes in track and intensity.

Some windy weather across parts of the Northern half of the country last night and early this morning,

Top gusts over 60 mph,

Official From Met Office Stations

Cairn Gorm Summit Scotland 119 mph (high level)
Bealach Scotland 100 mph (high level)
Fair Isle Scotland 84 mph
Cairnwell Scotland 81 mph (high ground)
Glen Ogle Scotland 75 mph (high ground)
Wick Airport Scotland 72 mph
Lerwick Shetland Scotland 70 mph
Loch Glascarnoch Scotland 70 mph
Sumburgh Cape Shetland Scotland 69 mph
Tiree Scotland 68 mph
Isle of Skye Lusa Scotland 68 mph
Inverness Airport Scotland 68 mph
Sule Skerry Scotland 66 mph
Kirkwall Orkney Scotland 64 mph
Capel Curing Wales 63 mph
Tulloch Bridge Scotland 62 mph
Inverbervie Scotland 62 mph
Kinloss Scotland 60 mph

Unofficial From Roadside Stations and Private Personal Stations

Portuairk Kilchoan Scotland 75 mph
Sanday Orkeny Scotland 72 mph
Isle of Barra Scotland 66 mph
Glosh Ireland 65 mph
Birsay Orkney Scotland 65 mph
Butt of Lewis Scotland 64 mph
Lochboisdale Scotland 62 mph
Sallachy Scotland 62 mph
South Dell Scotland 61 mph
Aird Uig Scotland 60 mph
North Rona Isle Scotland 60 mph
ST Kilda Scotland 60 mph

• Like 1

Posted

Noon GMT synop   synop_grunnkort_20160327_0600.png

Meteocentre map has low 988 mb - a wee bit deeper than on the GFS 06Z initialisation. Closer to what the ARPEGE has been consistently showing but still debatable whether that intensity will  materialise.

MF have good confidence in their model with orange warning for Channel coast gusts to 130 KPH.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a good lightning storm
7 hours ago, Sunlover said:

My daughters driving to work early hours tomorrow from Eastbourne to Guildford to go to work so no prizes for guessing I'm watching the track of this storm with a bit of fear and trepidation. This forum perfect for me to keep an eye on things so keep those posts coming particularly if anyone hears of travel disruption on the roads wd be much appreciated 

Keep your local radio tuned in, and tell your daughter to do the same. Charge everything that needs it while the power is still on. I wish you a safe time.

Posted
8 hours ago, Surrey said:

Jen, storm Katie is not due till this evening and early morning.. Stay tuned to  the weather stations 

I'm on here all the time, Surrey. Thanks for that, mate :) Wind here slightly more active now, and we had one shower. Everything so far, thankfully looks far more dramatic than it actually is. (The clouds are gorgeous). I read all the reports as I love the weather. No good at the technical side, but I have some books on clouds; storms; etc, and a few very good apps. Must get a lightning detector this year, if I can find one!

Stay safe everyone :) I'm watching along with the rest of you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
41 minutes ago, Jen said:

I'm on here all the time, Surrey. Thanks for that, mate :) Wind here slightly more active now, and we had one shower. Everything so far, thankfully looks far more dramatic than it actually is. (The clouds are gorgeous). I read all the reports as I love the weather. No good at the technical side, but I have some books on clouds; storms; etc, and a few very good apps. Must get a lightning detector this year, if I can find one!

Stay safe everyone :) I'm watching along with the rest of you.

Hi @Jen and welcome. Please can you add your location to your profile? It helps to know this when you are reporting weather conditions and events.  I too will be watching with interest also. Good to have you on board! 

Posted
25 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

Hi @Jen and welcome. Please can you add your location to your profile? It helps to know this when you are reporting weather conditions and events.  I too will be watching with interest also. Good to have you on board! 

Thanks for the welcome, Snoopie :) Yup, can do that, soon as I find out how :D

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Jen said:

Thanks for the welcome, Snoopie :) Yup, can do that, soon as I find out how :D

You may also like to visit the South East Regional thread as that should be pretty lively tonight. Some really nice knowledgeable people post in there also and would make you most welcome! :D Enjoy!

Posted
Just now, Snoopie42 said:

You may also like to visit the South East Regional thread as that should be pretty lively tonight. Some really nice knowledgeable people post in there also and would make you most welcome! :D Enjoy!

I love this quote thingie. It's well handy, lol. Will have a pop later, Snoopie. Done me profile just now, so that's that sorted! Have a safe next few hours.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Interesting the gfs 06 and 12z back track a little and bring the idea back of a deeper low 

Interesting watching it un fold 

Yes @Surrey deeper low will mean Katie will track slightly further North.....looks like Arpege agrees....going to be a tad blowy tomorrow morning that's for sure!:help:

arpege-11-19-0.png

Posted

Met Office have upgraded their warning to Amber for the South-East coastal districts.

Posted

I'm surprised there are not more here on this thread. Are there any other forums tracking Katie right now?

Posted
25 minutes ago, loopydreamer said:

I'm surprised there are not more here on this thread. Are there any other forums tracking Katie right now?

The local regional forums will probably be the most busy places discussing the approaching storm, especially the South-East / East Anglia forum as that is where the brunt of Katie is due to hit!