Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Katie

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

Very noisy, violent winds - peaking about 10 mins ago, now dropping slightly. Difficult to sleep!

Posted

Terrible winds here locked doors to outside creaking and loads of branches have fallen constant rumbling as well. Was not expecting this. Barometer now 977mb after falling to 970mb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a good lightning storm
6 hours ago, Wivenswold said:

My chum on Portland is playing this down, saying it's a bit breezy there. They're made of stronger stuff on Portland Bill it seems. 

I'm shocked, reading all the comments on here. Was up at 6 and wondered where the storm was. I can hear the wind, now. Checked a couple of apps which said 29 as a wind speed. Think it's a bit more than that, but thankfully, not dangerous.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Very heavy winds and rain all night! Just looked out the window and it's now snowing quite heavily, large flakes, sticking even though the ground is soaked! Wasn't expecting it at all, particularly this heavy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Well, it's wild out there. Noisy winds prevented sleep before 2am, after which there was a quieter spell before the winds came roaring back about an hour ago. All much as expected. I see Isle of Portland recently reported a 79 mph gust. Easily getting above 60 here at times, though quite fitful.

I am amazed how much the trees etc. can take in these parts. Just watched an old willow bend to more than 45 degrees and whip back again without looking too worried. There are some pensioners who would be pleased with such a feat!

I'm not sure where the strongest winds are exactly. Satellite imagery suggests the hook around the core of the low is in the process is passing by which suggests I may have just witnessed the peak - in which case it's yet another feisty storm to have been withstood by my garden without too much damage. Though there is a mysterious knocking sound that needs investigating.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Well that was a fitful sleep, one fence panel blown out to put back up later. Still getting some violent gusts and heavy rain.

Possible sting-jet winds tucking in looking at the hook and striations in the cloud head of the low looking at recent VIIS imagery, courtesy of Satellite Dundee

image.png

very dry stratospheric air descending into the back end of the low helping violent jet winds lower to the surface

image.jpeg

wind gust of 105mph recorded at Needles on the Isle of Wight, though very exposed site, 79mph at Portland Bill

image.jpeg

Edited by Nick F

Posted

very  wild  local radio  reporting   damage  in area

Posted

A large number of gusts over 60mph for the south looking at the web site below, some over 70 and one of 80 mph=Portland

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=windspitzen&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1459148400&KEY=UK&LAND=UK&CONT=ukuk&SORT=3&SI=mph&CEL=C&UD=0

Posted

Lots of power outages over the south this morning:

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

Edited by lottiekent
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow
36 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

I'm sure I saw a bright flash in the sky at about 6am this morning but heard no thunder so it wasn't lightning which makes me think it could have been a power cable short circuiting!  Wind has been ferocious in the last 3 or 4 hours, easily 60mph gusts possibly more at times. Still going strong but think it's dropped to about 40mph in the last hour!

Posted

Did someone get the timing wrong? We're getting ours now! Been lobbing it down for the last two hours, approx; and there's a bit of a blow goin' on! When I saw the comments up to now, I thought 'Storm? What storm?' Sorta 'get it' now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow
3 minutes ago, Jen said:

Did someone get the timing wrong? We're getting ours now! Been lobbing it down for the last two hours, approx; and there's a bit of a blow goin' on! When I saw the comments up to now, I thought 'Storm? What storm?' Sorta 'get it' now!

The forecasts always suggested that you was going to get it last, I'm in the Essex / Greater London region about 50 to 80 miles south of you and it peaked here around about 6 to 8am so it makes sense that it has moved north-east as forecast and is now peaking across East Anglia, it'll swing out into the North-Sea in the next hour or 2 then winds for you should begin to abate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, lottiekent said:

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

I got lucky, that power outage near me flickered my lights but they stayed on. Gusts were hitting +70 at the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The amber warning for Katie has now expired

Yellow warnings remain in place until 15:00

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Quite amusing coverage of the transport disruption with Dominic Hurst reporting a "disgruntled crowd" at Dublin Airport unable to fly back to London. They're the very ones who'd be screaming during missed approaches and then trying to sue the airline for ending up in Manchester!

I love the idea of the snow from the front - I last experienced this in October 2000 - again after a severe storm.

Glad everyone stayed safe, but really, we need to get a grip. This was a windstorm not an apocalypse. The BBC is showing pictures of fallen trees but most look already diseased and one is definitely just barely beyond being a sapling.

Ironically, the one fatality (probably totally unrelated to the storm) is someone who went off the M1 into the river Don...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

From the latest analysis, it seems that the strongest winds were further West. Excluding the Needles, the strongest gusts was Portland, St Catherines Pt, Thorney Island. On that basis, the amber warning should have been shuffled further West. However, it was a very complexed system, the models still find it difficult when storms develop in the SW quadrant.

• Like 1

Posted

Top gusts from Storm Katie

Official Met Office & Airports Stations

Needles Isle of Wight 106 mph
Isle of Portland 80 mph
Berry Head 77 mph
St. Catherine's Point Isle of Wight 74 mph
Thorney Island 73 mph
Lydd Airport 70 mph
Guernsey Airport 70 mph
Shoreham Airport 69 mph
Manston 69 mph
Langdon Bay 68 mph
RAF Odiham 68 mph
Kenley Airport 68 mph
London Southend Airport 67 mph
Shoreham 66 mph
Jersey Airport 65 mph
Farnborough 63 mph
Plymouth MtBatten 63 mph
Herstmonceux 63 mph
Gravesend Broadness 63 mph
Shoeburyness 62 mph
Middle Wallop 61 mph
MoD Boscombe Down 61 mph
London Heathrow Airport 60 mph
Andrewsfield Aerodrome 60 mph
Royal Marines Base Chivenor 60 mph
Liscombe 60 mph

Unofficial From Private Personal Stations

Hurst Castle 93 mph
Chichester Bay 86 mph
Worthing Pier 84 mph
Shoreham Beach 82 mph
East Prawle Point 81 mph
Lizard Cadgwith 80 mph
Lewes 77 mph
Portsmouth 76 mph
Gosport 75 mph
Kingsbridge 75 mph
Southampton Docks 75 mph
Emsworth Hampshire 74 mph
Dartford 74 mph
Brighstone Isle of Wight 72 mph
Tilbury 70 mph
Minster Ramsgate 68 mph
Tilmanstone 68 mph
Althorne 68 mph
Barton Saint David Somerset 68 mph
Sextead 68 mph
Sandbanks Dorset 67 mph
Ensbury Park Bournemouth 67 mph
Andover 67 mph
Crondall Surrey 66 mph
Thorpe Bay 65 mph
Corbiere Cliffs Jersey 65 mph
Chilthorne Domer 64 mph
Chertsey 64 mph
Ford Littlehampton 62 mph
Much Hadham 62 mph
Margate 62 mph
Eastbourne 61 mph
Yeovil 61 mph
St Nicholas At Wade 61 mph
Nonington Kent 61 mph
Bordon Hampshire 60 mph
Chessington 60 mph
Newhaven 60 mph
Kensington 60 mph
Angel Farrington London 60 mph
St. Just 60 mph

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, AdamStorm7891 said:

The forecasts always suggested that you was going to get it last, I'm in the Essex / Greater London region about 50 to 80 miles south of you and it peaked here around about 6 to 8am so it makes sense that it has moved north-east as forecast and is now peaking across East Anglia, it'll swing out into the North-Sea in the next hour or 2 then winds for you should begin to abate.

I've been keeping on top of all the forecasts and warnings. Things were made out to be far worse than they actually were. At least, where I'm watching from. Not complaining - I'm extremely thankful. I know some folk on another chat site have been getting some rough stuff but, for my little corner of Norfolk, it's been no worse than a typical March storm. We had about three hours' worth of heavy rain. The wind was gusting somewhat, but not enough to rattle the fences. I've seen it here when the fence between my neighbour and I has been blown out and had to be replaced, several times in 20 years. It really wasn't a bad storm here this time. Cheerfully getting a bit lighter now :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

This was without doubt way way worse than st Jude! The rain was more the talking point in this end of the woods. Some nasty gusts also witnessed however. 

A classic 'bomb' situation for sure and will be a highlight of the year for definite. Hope everyone is ok. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
12 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

This was without doubt way way worse than st Jude! The rain was more the talking point in this end of the woods. Some nasty gusts also witnessed however. 

A classic 'bomb' situation for sure and will be a highlight of the year for definite. Hope everyone is ok. 

3 fence panels down but they were on there last legs. A greater surprise a fencer can come around today !

All in all well forecast and it did what is said on the tin.

Posted

I'd say that locally was the most significant event of the 'winter' season here, due to a combination of the heavy rain an strong winds, even if NNW gales on the 9th were a tad stronger.

33.6mm overnight in the manual gauge here, though 41.4mm including the heavy showers yesterday (or 46.4mm with another 5mm from showers today)

The river reached the highest levels since 2012, quite a lot of debris/silt and flooding on the roads this morning.
Some pics from the lower Otter valley this morning:

P1020761.JPGP1020856.JPGP1020940.JPGP1020933.JPGP1020958.JPGP1020983.JPGP1030068.JPGP1030084.JPGP1030111.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
19 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Gotta love the Davis for showing true rain rates!  drinks.gif 

Yes, if Evening thunder's calibration's haven't gone out the window again!