Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Jake

Paul

Posted

Jake is the latest named storm - this one has been named by Met Eireann to cover the high winds later tonight and into tomorrow. Impacts on the UK will be more limited, but still severe gales possible in exposed parts of SW England and Wales. 

Another impact with this one is the threat of snow..

jake1.thumb.png.6f7af89ea3c7d3b511ceabfa jake2.thumb.png.3bfe53f6b68126643f2ab5d0

jake3.thumb.png.353e931f44ad30b1836172ea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Surprised it got a name! But the Irish Met have named it as Ireland does appear to be getting the strongest wind gusts and the NetWx-SR is predicting gusts in excess of 70mph for a time over the far W/SW.

netw3.thumb.png.84d4c28953d8153f383d5de1 

6z NetWx-SR still showing some very heavy snow over N England tomorrow morning.

netw4.pn.thumb.png.8c0a96f60d30d114fa43bnetw5.thumb.png.c27f5f21d7432ee675e68d81

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
1 hour ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Surprised it got a name! But the Irish Met have named it as Ireland does appear to be getting the strongest wind gusts and the NetWx-SR is predicting gusts in excess of 70mph for a time 

Winds need to reach Amber or Orange level for it to be named and the Irish met fc gusts up to 80mph

Status Orange

Wind Warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

Westerly winds, veering northwest will increase to mean speeds of 65 to 75km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h at times overnight in exposed areas especially in the coastal fringes with high sea also.

Edited by Abyss

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

I'm confused... I thought the naming was for the storms during Autumn and Winter, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't today the start of meteorological Spring? *confused look*

Although, saying that, I do enjoy a good storm - I've still not got over how amazing the seafront was from Imogen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Dale Hay said:

I'm confused... I thought the naming was for the storms during Autumn and Winter, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't today the start of meteorological Spring? *confused look*

Although, saying that, I do enjoy a good storm - I've still not got over how amazing the seafront was from Imogen.

Still winter till the 20th meteorological wise, beginning of march is calender wise, and is the american way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
5 minutes ago, Dale Hay said:

Yes Its a bit confusing I agree technically its still winter until March 20th but as you say meteorological Spring also began today so they could be going by the spring Equinox

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Still winter till the 20th meteorological wise, beginning of march is calender wise, and is the american way.

No.  Meteorological (calendar) Spring begins today.  Astronomical Spring begins 20th March.  

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/how-weather-works/when-does-spring-start 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

First and I expect probably the only storm of spring but then what do i know.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Quite a potent occluding cold front wrapping around the centre of jake as it sweeps SE across England and Wales in the morning,

image.thumb.png.4dc849d858967030805e0095image.thumb.png.a0ec01119a07a595dc7782a1

some strong forcing as a sharpening shortwave trough moves in straight behind the front from the NW, as shown by relative vorticity chart below

image.thumb.png.6b3dd74fe898810662b793f9

so we could see a narrow squall line develop along the front with small hail, low risk of thunder, sleet and hill snow mixed in but more importantly some strong and damaging convective straight-line winds up to 60-70 knots across SW/S UK with exposure

image.thumb.png.b4a5caf4542a02cafcb51831

A fairly sharp drop in temperature as the squall clears with showers following increasingly wintry in nature, with sleet and wet snow even to lower levels in heavier showers

image.thumb.png.a67b51e3080ad11ecba5e47f

Even a tornado can't be ruled out across SW or Sern areas as we see a marked wind veer with passage of front combined with some modest low-level instability

image.thumb.png.31f374753dc0d77fcd1bc908image.thumb.png.6cc59c61e648b18ffb1cafcb

so hail, damaging wind gusts, snow and even thunder possible, though tornadoes a very small risk in any one area. An interesting day in the offing from Jake ...

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted

Gust of 81mph at Aberdaron on Llyn Peninsula of NW Wales 8am, 75mph more recently.

quite an active squall line cleared South Wales and now marching SE across SW. England, a few lightning strikes from it. Plenty of rain, hail,  sleet and hill snow showers following in across Wales, Midlands and N England, some thunder and lightning from them over northern England

imagine there must be blizzard conditions for the Welsh mountains with winds gusting 60-70mph.

image_b_uk.png?t=24281849

Edited by Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
19 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Yes Its a bit confusing I agree technically its still winter until March 20th but as you say meteorological Spring also began today so they could be going by the spring Equinox

When does the Atlantic storm season start from a naming point of view? Is it September 21st?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

20160302_120009_zpszcs0qslp.jpg

Superb deep  mammatus when the cold front pushed down in Peterborough

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Some very lively gusts here in the capital from Jake, compatible to anything seen this winter here.Certainly 50mph and at times a little higher.

Edited by sunnijim
spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
On 3/1/2016 at 5:09 PM, Dale Hay said:

I asked Met Office Press office about this    

"Name our Storms is a pilot project between the Met Office and Met Eireann, as such parts of it are likely to change as the project develops. This was initially going to be an Autumn and Winter 2015/16 project. However, the exact end date has not been decided and so we will continue to name storms for the time being at least.

Even if we decide to continue the project through spring and summer, we will start again from A when we get to Autumn. Chances are we won’t reach Wendy, but it we do a decision will be made then what the following names will be, whether we go back to A or use the Greek alphabet as used in other naming series."

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm
On 02/03/2016 at 9:59 PM, Jo Farrow said:

I asked Met Office Press office about this    

"Name our Storms is a pilot project between the Met Office and Met Eireann, as such parts of it are likely to change as the project develops. This was initially going to be an Autumn and Winter 2015/16 project. However, the exact end date has not been decided and so we will continue to name storms for the time being at least.

Even if we decide to continue the project through spring and summer, we will start again from A when we get to Autumn. Chances are we won’t reach Wendy, but it we do a decision will be made then what the following names will be, whether we go back to A or use the Greek alphabet as used in other naming series."

Ah, I see. :) Thank you, Jo. :)