• The best one ever
    • Brilliant
    • Good
    • Okay
    • A bit dissapointing
    • Bad
    • Absolutely digusting
    • The worst one on this planet
    • What? You think we even had a Winter??
    • Where were the red line storms? Without these, Winter is just plain boring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Howdy. :)

Now that March is arriving, it's that time when topics like this begin to arise out of the ground of Netweather. Therefore thought it was time to ask you ladies and gentlemen what you thought about this Winter. Technically, for some of you, Winter might not be over till 21st March or even when the last flaje of snow has landed on ya house. And indeed, just like what could happen this month, March can turn out to be more Wintrier than the main Winter months. But since the main part of the season is behind us, still seemed suitable to start up this thread. 

For some, this could quite possibly be one of the worst Winters of your dreams. For others, this could be one of the better ones. What did seem clear, however, is the further South you were, the fewer the snow events were. I think admittedly, it has been a season full of frustrations for a number of people - not just for the below average snowfall, but for the menacing floods it has caused. One of those Winter's where you feel like you may need a sick bucket to throw up in.

For me, this is what I'd score this Winter,

Frost:

image.thumb.jpeg.313e11836a79c3cd731d713

Generally below average. Frost was practically non-existent in December thanks to an incorruptible European High Pressure system constantly swallowing up mild air from the South-West through the UK, especially the Southern half. Things did slowly start improving for frost possibilities in January with a few cold, crispy mornings. And then, as Februrary took the spotlight, frosty weather become noticeably more common, especially towards the end of the month, with a chillier anti-cyclonic influence. A couple of days containing mornings where the frost was quite thick. Nothing too exceptional, though, and if it wasn't for February, frost levels would have been significantly below normal. 

Rating: 2.5/5

Snow:

image.thumb.jpeg.e251d6b757de9feb552b1e6

Very piteous. There was hardly any daytime snowfall which, for here, is disappointing. Can't really think of many others years that went by without a daytime snowfall here. Even the almost snowless Winter of 2013/14 produced some daytime falling snow (where an Atlantic front in February turned to snow as cold Westerly winds undercut the system). Nevertheless, there were one or two little snowfalls in January, as some chilly conditions developed from the North during the middle of the month with a thin covering on one of the days. Additionally, one evening produced a wintry mix of showery precipitation with an unstable North-Westerly flow. No snow whatsoever in December and there was... one snow shower in February! While not a completely snowless season, it could have been better. Was just a tad superior to Winter 2013/14, but no dumpings of snow greater than 1cm. Do, however, feel sorry for those of you cold weather fans even further South who probably haven't even seen a covering, let alone any falling snow. On the whole, the Solihull Snow Shield was strong.

Rating: 2/5

Northern Blocking:

image.thumb.jpeg.2b81db6b75652e8ab109653

Nothing too remarkable, but would be fair to say this Winter hasn't been totally absent of it. For a time, January managed some fairly brief periods of weakish heights and surface High Pressure over Greenland with some blocking in the Atlantic towards the middle of the month. Some fairly modest heights towards Scandinavia just before mid-month as blocking over Europe sent some Warm Air Advection towards the Arctic, though shortwave developments over the Norway part destroyed what could have been some stronger blocking to our North-East. The Arctic Osscilation, I think, went into neutral/negative territory for a brief period, but don't think it lasted as long as some were anticipating. Bit of a let down in that respect. Hardly much, if any, High Latitude Blocking in December with the troublesome Vortex to our North/North-West joining forces with the European High by maintaining a general flattish West to South-Westerly pattern. February had at least seen more amplification in the weather patterns allowing a more meridonal setup to establish, particularly towards the second half with, again, some blocking to our West and some weakish heights over Greenland. Not strong enough, nor sustained enough to completely wipe out the Vortex over that area (models, though, do continue to play about with some kind of mid-Atlantic ridging). But perhaps better than nothing and the blocking in the Atlantic has helped assist Low Pressure to drop South-East into Europe at times with some okayish Easterlies. 

Rating 2.5/5

Convection:

image.thumb.jpeg.e763dae5453847a5122385a

Something else that has been lacking this Winter. Not many days I can recall with sunshine and showers. Just the odd day or two here and there. Unless I missed any days with grapualy type precipitation, can only recall one day with just one hail shower (and that other one with an evening snow shower). On any other days where sunshine and showers occurred, the convection in the sky didn't look particularly 'clean'. Love those proper convective sunshine and shower setups with the inviting displays from towering Cumulonimbus clouds. As such, it was a pity that this Winter didn't produce much in the way of that. 

Selective memory perhaps might be an issue when it comes to sotuations like this, but feel as though convection and these sunshine and shower setups have become less frequent in the last few years or so.

Rating: 1.5/5

Storms:

image.thumb.jpeg.b29538783fcce5c74e4f155

One of the stronger aspects of this Winter. An active Atlantic in December and, in some ways, during January throwing a number of wind storms our way. One or two producing wind gusts around 30/40mph and over. There were a few odd nights where I had some squally precipitation with rain absolutely lashing it down against the windows - one instance of which produced monsoon-like conditions that made me feel as though I was under a Tropical Storm. Not as many wind storms in February, though, with a less active Atlantic and a wavier Jet Stream. 

Atlantic storms aren't really my thing, but one or two of them were interesting to experience, especially the one which produced some monsoon rain type conditions. Also, I think in terms of windy weather, it could be a subjective thing for some people since getting numerous wind storms doesn't necessarily make it a great Winter. And I guess the same thing could be said for snow, too.

One of the main issues, however, was the flooding some of these moody Lows created over North-Western parts.

Rating: 3.5/5

Sunny/Bright Intervals:

image.thumb.jpeg.25a93063474782f5089e6ab

Virtually absent in December. Too much gloomy weather around which made for some depressing days. Bar one or two odd brighter days, the amount of cloudy weather around was incredible with barely any peep from the sun. Was glad once it reached January, and February especially, that the never ending supply of Tropical Maritime air was in decline with an increased frequency of clearer air masses such as Polar Maritime and some little fleetings of Arctic Maritime and Polar Continental air. February as a month seemed much less duller compared to December. Did still have it's fair share of cloudier days. But a fair share of sunnier days, too. Despite the dullness of December, February helped to make up for it. A bit.

Rating: 2.5/5

Variation:

image.thumb.jpeg.0e9689db680132b84f4eba4

Fairly poor really with not much snow (although I know it's easy to expect too much sometimes) and not much in the way of heavy showers, specifically those containing a wintry mix. A few odd heavy downpours from frontal precipitation, nonetheless, to spice up the action a little. Frosty weather did at least become somewhat more common the later in the season it got. And, oddly enough, the exceptionally mild December with its lack of varied and bright weather is something that would probably make this Winter stand out (despite how much I enjoy cold and snowy weather). To get a December CET above 9*C is phenomenal. The season could have still done with more variation though, and it would have been cool to get a very mild December without such cloudy weather. Little too much in the way of cyclonic weather, too, even though rain amounts didn't seem much above average. 

Rating 2.5/5

Total Score:  17/35

A seriously uncool Winter overall. The snow just too grumpy to come to the UK (mostly for those to the South of Northern UK anyway). It's only redeeming features being the amazement of how mild December was and also some of the brighter, frosty, weather towards the end. The fatigue of chasing every dreamland cold chart in the models became a little overpowering by the time February approached and has made me started to crave for some Spring weather (still with the hope of a daytime snow event). Maybe wouldn't be surprising if March really did turn out to be the chilliest and/or wintrist month outside of Winter. Whatever you do Winter 2015/16, please don't come back! :nonono: 

What about you guys - how'd you rate this Winter? :)

image.thumb.jpeg.e915d65229640bee1256f9f

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

The thing you give the highest mark to is the one that I dislike the most, Atlantic storms, whether that be in winter, summer or whatever. The rest, that in my mind make a good winter were, as you say pretty poor this year, I had only a few cold, bright days to savour, for example. The flooding caused by those storms were, for me, this winter's nadir.

Lack of variability is also something I need between seasons, not that they merge into one another, so a late cold blast is welcome. I don't feel as though spring has been earned yet, the cold giving way to warmer is what we are conditioned to expect, not variations of mild/milder.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
21 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

Lack of variability is also something I need between seasons, not that they merge into one another, so a late cold blast is welcome. I don't feel as though spring has been earned yet, the cold giving way to warmer is what we are conditioned to expect, not variations of mild/milder.

A good point raised. It is nice for all the seasons to have there own characetristics - e.g: Thunder and warmth in Summer, Atlantic storms in Autumn, some snow and frost in Winter etc. Sometimes can seem as though the wrong weather occurs in the wrong seasons at times. In Winter's case though, think there still probably should have at least been more in the way of wintry weather and a bit more convective weather. 

May have been a bit generous with the rating given for Atlantic storms. Kind of ironic really since it's not my preferred weather type either. Outside of the lack of snow and okayish amount of frosty, bright weather, the storms was only really the aspect of Winter that was reasonably entertaining (except for those pesky floods some of those wind and heavy rain events caused).

Hopefully next Winter will deliver more in the way of snowy weather. (I admit it's not to everyone's taste, though). :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

2nd only to 13/14 in the appalling winter league table. That's all I have to say about the past 3 months.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Abysmal. No measurable snow at any point. Record warmth in December and a constant westerly or southwesterly breeze blowing all winter long. Worst winter I've ever experienced as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Nick L said:

2nd only to 13/14 in the appalling winter league table. That's all I have to say about the past 3 months.

At least I got a bit of interest in Feb of that winter with a 90mph storm. If it hadn't have been for that it may well have ranked marginally lower. However this winter takes the award for worst winter ever experienced for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm not sure how I would rate this winter?? I love snow - as anyone who knows me will testify - but December was so exceptionally warm, I enjoyed that too...:cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There's no options that I can choose to vote for.
I don't judge a UK Winter by how much snow falls, or how many frosts we get. However, I have found it to be one of the most interesting of recent times, mainly because of the extremes that have occurred. 
We could have had snow laying every day throughout Winter, I would have still not voted 'brilliant' because I don't see seasons in that way.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm not sure how I would rate this winter?? I love snow - as anyone who knows me will testify - but December was so exceptionally warm, I enjoyed that too...:cc_confused:

Warmth in December isn't warm though. If perpetual 12C days with little little change at night floats your boat then so be it....each to their own. IMO it was vile! 

Posted

The worst one ever, narrowly beats 2013/14 to the title. In 2013/14 I remember 2 instances of snow falling. This year a few flakes after 12 hours of very cold rain and that was it. Very little dry weather too apart from the last few days.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

To cloudy, to wet and to mild and for someone who likes frost and a bit of snow in winter, fat to much like a buy one get one free autumn offer

• Like 1

Posted

Words really can't express how impossibly bad December was, especially coming off the back of an awful November. I feel lucky to have missed a month of this epic fail winter - a noxious combination of nightmare mild synoptics, fail snow charts and normally-good synoptics with nothing to tap into. Being here throughout January may well have driven me insane.

Good riddance.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I don't know yet, it may only just be starting for this winter, will answer spring starts properly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

In the end, I opted for 'A bit disappointing', as I never expected an El Nino winter to provide much in the way of snowfall, anyway. Then again, it's snowed four times this time - more than the previous two 'winters' combined??:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
56 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Pretty much this, at least the 2nd half of this winter had a little snow and was generally cooler, drier and brighter. Winter 13/14 was absolutely relentless. That said December 2015 will probably go down in the hall of fame, in fact easily the most infamous winter month of all time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A poor Winter if you like cold and snow. December being particularly ridiculous as even in bed it was uncomfortably warm at night with temps well into double figures, humid SW air and copious rain fall. It was so mild that I recorded colder night temps in the Summer! A slight improvement & bit of excitement in mid January with a 2 inch fall of snow which was all gone in 12 hours but other than that & a few minor dustings it has been a Winter to forget!

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
42 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

At least I got a bit of interest in Feb of that winter with a 90mph storm. If it hadn't have been for that it may well have ranked marginally lower. However this winter takes the award for worst winter ever experienced for me.

You were lucky to avoid the worst of the rain in 13/14, in January I had one dry day all month - it was thoroughly miserable. At least it was relatively dry down here this winter, despite the exceptional mild at times. I also saw some snowfall this winter, even if it was a paltry light covering that lasted a few hours. Plus we've had a few frosts...and that's about it.

December 2015 was the antichrist of December 2010 and I hope I never see its like again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Three snowless years in a row is a very bad trend indeed, however come the end of September no doubt my mind will start drifting back to the Model Output thread.  Perhaps next winter will bring the synoptics we're due later this week, but in January with uppers 4c colder.  We can but dream!

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 2

Posted

Better than 2013/14 but up there with the stinkers of 1988/89, 1989/90 and 1997/98.  However, as others have said, the 2nd half was a bit more interesting but delivered diddly squat down here.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

I'm still waiting for Winter to arrive, Autumn hasn't finished here yet. I enjoy the rain, good job really. :D

Posted

For my location, the worst of it wasn't actually in Winter proper; it was November. Honestly, I very rarely get down/annoyed by weather, but that month was truly atrocious. The rain was thoroughly relentless, and as I work outside it was actually starting to genuinely wind me up. On paper December was worse for rain, yet it didn't seem as relentless or persistent as November, to me at least. Nor did December seem as dull generally.

January wasn't great, but an improvement on the preceding 2 months and was sufficiently cool enough, with a snow event, to stop it from being a true stinker in my book.

February by far the best, started off wet and miserable but overall I've greatly appreciated the frosty mornings, sunny days and number of dry days. 

A poor Winter no doubt, though, and I'll be glad to never experience a November like that again.

Posted

I liked it. I stood in my garden in December in a T-shirt which was a weird but cool novelty, I only had slightly above average rain in Dec/Jan, and Feb has been sunny, dry, calm and with the increasing sun strength very pleasant! 

I had hardly any snow, half a day of it on the ground and only about 2-3cm. I would have liked some more but snow is like above 30C temps. It sounds fun until you live in it a while and the novelty wears off. 

Posted
7 hours ago, March Blizzard said:

For my location, the worst of it wasn't actually in Winter proper; it was November. Honestly, I very rarely get down/annoyed by weather, but that month was truly atrocious. The rain was thoroughly relentless, and as I work outside it was actually starting to genuinely wind me up. On paper December was worse for rain, yet it didn't seem as relentless or persistent as November, to me at least. Nor did December seem as dull generally.

January wasn't great, but an improvement on the preceding 2 months and was sufficiently cool enough, with a snow event, to stop it from being a true stinker in my book.

February by far the best, started off wet and miserable but overall I've greatly appreciated the frosty mornings, sunny days and number of dry days. 

A poor Winter no doubt, though, and I'll be glad to never experience a November like that again.

November was very poor,  this winter would have been been even worse if everything happened a month later, can you imagine November to January happened from December to February instead?  Yikes!

Manchester Winter Indices

2013-14: 7

1988-89: 20

2006-07: 21

1997-98: 25

1974-75: 26

1989-90: 26

2015-16: 28

• Like 3

Posted

I had one day with laying snow for about an hour which was actually an hour more than the previous Winter. 

Dreadful Winter.