Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 20th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 18z shows wintry weather through low res with arctic air flooding south along with some snow...so both the Ecm 12z and now the Gfs 18z are showing more interest for coldies beyond the next 10 days.:)

hgt500-1000.png

hgt500-1000 (1).png

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 2

Posted

The ecm beyond ten days isn't showing interest in anything cold but I'm open to be corrected by those who are privy to more information than myself.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

npsh500.png npsh500.png

To split or not to split? For that is the question that GFS cannot answer with respect to the polar vortex!

Given the destroyed nature of the stratospheric vortex, you'd think a split would be favoured. 

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/70hPa/orthographic=-0.67,70.67,274

Looking here, we can see how the high pressure system affecting the UK extends right up to at least 70 hPa.

You can really see where Cohen's idea of an easterly from Siberia came from - but we have not seen a straight forward propagation of this pattern down to the troposphere.

Up at 10 hPa (either select that level on the site by clicking on 'earth' to bring up the variables panel, or click here - but be aware that having two tabs on that site at once will use a lot of computing power), the story looks rather different, with the polar vortex right over France. It won't have much effect on the pattern below though, as it's moving steadily west and will be in the middle of the North Atlantic within a few days time:

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_7.png   gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_14.png

I've also posted the chart for when the 10 hPa pattern reaches the point at which a reflection at the surface some time later would produce unusually cold conditions for the time of year - but given how much cold looks to be displaced from the Arctic prior to anything affecting the UK, the extremity of such conditions may be watered down somewhat. The 18z GFS has a fair go at things yet maximum temps still reach the high single digits in the south - though this was helped along by a generally settled regime with some rather tame destabilisation affecting the south at times.

I do wonder what state this will leave the Arctic sea ice in - it's already at near record lows for the time of year, currently just above the record holder which happens to be 2015, and about to take the top spot again unless the extent manages to grow a bit in the next day or two. That, of course, is a matter for a different forum area and thread (a members-only area which can be accessed here).

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The Gfs 18z shows wintry weather through low res with arctic air flooding south along with some snow...so both the Ecm 12z and now the Gfs 18z are showing more interest for coldies beyond the next 10 days.:)

hgt500-1000.png

hgt500-1000 (1).png

prectypeuktopo.png

hmm. reminds me of a quote from 'Wayne's World'

"yeah... and monkeys might fly outta my butt..."

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

The ecm beyond ten days isn't showing interest in anything cold beyond ten days but I'm willing to be corrected by those who are privy to more information than myself.

The Ecm 12z op run and the ensemble mean shows lots of potential for coldies by T+240 hours..Arctic blast beyond day 10?.hopefully it's still showing tomorrow morning and beyond!:)

ecmt850.240.png

Reem2402.gif

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The Ecm 12z op run and the ensemble mean shows lots of potential for coldies by T+240 hours..Arctic blast beyond day 10?.hopefully it's still showing tomorrow morning and beyond!:)

ecmt850.240.png

Reem2402.gif

But as I've just said the EPS means past day ten do not and the anomaly doesn't support it. The 850mb flow chart for two days later indicates a westerly with temps a little below average.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

The latest GEFS looks like average temps to me.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_51.thumb.png.efe0e7a7e2

Yes, a few days ago, there was a slew of GEFS individual members going well below average for March, they trended back up, yes in the last 24-48 hours they have re-appeared in an earlier timeframe, but they are a lot less and more watered down, to get a proper cold spell, they really needed to have been trending near to -10 850mb temps and in significant quantity.

Posted

The GEFS anomalies are still retrogressing the HP during the next ten days but it digresses somewhat from previous scenarios by amplifying the pattern for a brief period starting on the 23rd. It runs the HP up into Greenland whilst at the same time swinging the European trough South west into the North sea. This would veer the upper flow NNW and introduce much colder air over the UK. How much credence to give to this is not easy to ascertain (the ecm will no doubt help later) because within two or three days this amplification disappears and a NW becomes the order of the day. And by the end of the we are talking zonal with the European  trough virtually non existent.

gefs_z500a_nh_41.thumb.png.0303580b7d77dgefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.111e4ad762

Posted

Strangely enough this morning's ecm ops retrogresses the HP in the latter stages of the run and at the end builds heights into Greenland And with LP to the east a NW flow ensues. :shok: It has to be said the air is not that cold and only a little below average and one suspects a transient rather than a long lived feature.

ecm_t850_anom_eur_11.thumb.png.9c75032e7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

^^^Yes those teaser D10 charts! They keep coming this winter. 

An example is two days ago the D10 chart was amplified: 

56e66d228570c_ECH1-240(3).thumb.gif.5fa1 Today's run for the same time: ECH1-192.thumb.gif.1ac88bca7a0434d516047

The inevitable downgrade of the D10 charts, very predictable. However a caveat in this instance as the knock on effects of the upcoming  SSW (negative AO) would hint this may be when the exception proves the rule! Anything after D8 is open to change at the moment as we watch what happens to the trop PV as it moves away from it's short stay in Siberia. The GEFS suggest it will retrogress the UK high west and the trough will skirt with the UK. Mean at D10:

gensnh-21-1-240.thumb.png.399849dc409696  Cold: gensnh-21-0-240.thumb.png.d6e010fbca17db

But the cold uppers are in the wrong location at the moment^^^ for a period of intense cold and for the south pretty tame though below average 2m temps possible. After that the GEFS go in various directions so no comment at the moment.

Edited by IDO

Posted

Good continuity between the Ecm 12z and 00z with a strong Arctic blast arriving during next week, hopefully this trend will continue to firm up through this week!:)

ecmt850.240.png

• Like 4

Posted

It's an Anticyclonic week ahead but as the position and orientation of the high slowly changes, we can expect day to day variations in cloud cover and sunshine distribution but the main thing is it's largely dry, quiet and settled for a change which I'm sure many will welcome...there are growing signs that our UK based high will drift west into the Atlantic next week with colder and unsettled weather spreading from the north.:)

160314.png

160315.png

160316.png

160317.png

160318.png

• Like 1

Posted

The ecm anomaly on the 24th also has ridging Greenland way but is not quite so ambitious with the trough to the east leaving it over Scandinavia. The resulting upper NW flow could well bring some fairly wintry weather, particularly to the north, as any systems could track SE into Scandinavia resulting in a transient cool northerly. :shok:

Within a couple of days the ridging to the west has gone, the trough to the east weakened resulting in a cool zonality, By the end of the period the trough to the east is gone, and the remnants of it, are down around Turkey and there is a trough in mid Atlantic running SE from the vortex over N. Canada. Temps remaining a little below average.

ecm_eps_z500a_nh_11.thumb.png.45be05e75f

• Like 1

Posted

Plenty of eye candy for coldies to enjoy on the Gfs 6z op run through low res with repeated cold shots from the NW / N and a risk of snow.:):cold:

h850t850eu.png

prectypeuktopo.png

h850t850eu (1).png

prectypeuktopo (1).png

• Like 5

Posted

There is clearly potential for a Pm / Arctic outbreak to develop next week according to both the GEFS 6z mean / Ecm 00z ensemble mean at T+240 hours with a large scandi trough favourably aligned for a cold shot to bring an increasing risk of snow to some parts of the uk as well as frosts and icy patches. :):cold:

Reem2402.gif

Reem2401.gif

Rz500m10.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Unfortunately I think you may be correct Frosty. currently sat in the garden 14.8c crystal clear skies and warm sunshine if only it would continue. don't look forward to being sat inside with the fire on at the end of March 

C.S

Edited by Nick L
corrected weird formatting
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Unfortunately I think you may be

correct  Frosty.

currently sat in the garden 14.8c

crystal clear skies and warm sunshine 

if only it would continue 

don't look forward to being sat

inside with the fire on at the end

of March 

C.S

One of the things I love about March is the wide variety of weather when we can have warm sunshine like today but then potential snow within days..I'm not saying we will have a white Easter but it could be cold and unsettled before the end of next week. I don't see a typical Atlantic breakdown from the current anticyclonic spell with our high likely to drift west into the Atlantic which then opens the door to a Polar maritime  / Arctic maritime incursion (s). Compared to this time yesterday, the models do appear to be indicating an increasing chance of a cold shot during the second half of next week.

• Like 4

Posted

The GEFS 06z anomaly at day has realigned itself with the 00z ecm in not being so bullish with the Scandinavian trough. Ergo once the HP has moved sufficiently far west to initiate a NW upper flow the UK could experience some unsettled weather which could produce a transient N/NE and cooler conditions. This will only apply for a very short time as both the ridge and trough weaken and the pattern becomes much flatter.  So essentially an unsettled westerly with temps a little below average.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_41.thumb.png.9aef84e0gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_51.thumb.png.711aa35d

On 29 February 2016 at 9:42 PM, bobbydog said:

well i've been keeping an eye on the models for the past few days (well actually all winter- but like everyone else, im now hoping we get a miracle and i am the eternal optimist).  however, in the real world, though we are facing a couple of chilly weeks, winter will not be arriving in force, to throw us into a media hyped 'snowmageddon'. if you want to see snow falling from the sky, thats a good probability. if you want (like me) a winter wonderland then give up now. we do have this label of "coldies" which is used often to describe winter lovers. now i do appreciate that some do like the cold but i just want snow. a proper winter.  a bit of frost is pretty in the morning but today was the final realisation for me. i was out in the garden today making a bunk-bed ladder for a customer. the weather was dry and sunny which meant i could do it outside rather than my workshop and i actually had to take my jumper off because i was too hot! 

to be honest, i'm not a 'coldie' i'm an extreme weather fan. bone chilling cold,  deep snow, powerful storms, floods, thunderstorms and tropical heat. that does it for me. the whole range. chilly with a bit of sleet does not.

sod the cold spring, if its not going to snow, the cold can bugger off and let the sun shine!

53 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

You are always having a go at what I post, am I not allowed to change my opinion?

As I said yesterday before the 12z, there was nothing cold showing but now there clearly is...hope you don't mind me discussing the possibilities next week!:) 

Karl u keep up the post me like many others on this forum love your posts so u discuss what u like my friend and in June we can discuss Decembers weather 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Come on guys no digs at others.If someone wants to put a different pov that's ok but not by childish sniping.

Early Spring is notorious for sudden changes and we are all entitled to reflect this in our views of the different model runs.

I have removed the posts involved.

Peace  all and back to friendly discussions,ta.☺

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Essex snowman said:

Thanks Essex snowman:)

I'm pleased the models have changed since yesterday's 12z in favour of a colder incursion from the NW / N later next week, hopefully I haven't jinxed it by saying that!:D

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Essex snowman said:

whats that about? i assume you have unintentionally quoted me there, as it makes it look like its me who is having a go at frosty!

it should be noted- i haven't!

• Like 2

Posted

looks like heading towards something similar to late march 1975 with snow even in South,if gfs is correct lol 

archives-1975-3-23-0-0.pngarchives-1975-3-27-0-0.pngarchives-1975-3-28-12-2.png

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1