Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 20th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted
2 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Well, at least it's now just down to a 50-50 to contend with further into medium range in 12z EC at T+240....!! 

Screenshot_2016-03-07-20-34-26-1.png

I would bet all my chips on cluster 2.

Been posted a few times before,but here is the earth wind map for the stratosphere at 10 hpa which really shows the strength of those reverse easterly winds caused by the ongoing SSW.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/10hPa/orthographic=-2.93,84.73,512

• Like 2

Posted

The ecm 6-10 anomaly is precisely as expected so straight on the 10-15. It's now retataining the ridging over the UK and not building heights in the western Atlantic so no longer veering the upper flow but more W/SW thus temps certainly around average and maintaining settled conditions over the UK. Right at the end there is a tendency for the HP over the UK to be replaced by LP edging in from the east and the flow becoming more zonal. Temps becoming a little below average by then but the colder air remains in NE Europe for the moment.

This evening's NOAA charts are not adverse to this scenario.

Still got the barby on standby for Easter.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.14ba437610day.03.thumb.gif.5dcb3a73a11f4209ddc8814day.03.thumb.gif.fdb62e326ae8595daf93

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.
21 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Well, at least it's now just down to a 50-50 to contend with further into medium range in 12z EC at T+240....!! 

EDIT but more expansive set of cluster solutions thereafter out to T+360, with (yet again) many opting back to a cyclonic, unsettled/changeable regime by 21-22nd (refer to my post above re that)

Screenshot_2016-03-07-20-34-26-1.png

Cluster 2 for me two and I suspect a lot of people on here. My confidence that it will prevail comes from a look at the spaghetti. It's all over the place.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Cluster 2 the favoured option but I'm not certain at the moment that it would develop into a Northerly, maybe Ian can update us in about an hours time on the EC32 please.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Cluster 2 the favoured option but I'm not certain at the moment that it would develop into a Northerly, maybe Ian can update us in about an hours time on the EC32 please.

The later clusters (eg below) illustrate well why the subsequent period is very tricky. Yes, EC Monthly may offer some additional hints. *May*....!

Screenshot_2016-03-07-20-44-52-1.png

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, fergieweather said:

The later clusters (eg below) illustrate well why the subsequent period is very tricky. Yes, EC Monthly may offer some additional hints. *May*....!

Bloody norah!!!!    I would like the 4th cluster but what variety there!!, it just shows you what effect an SSW has on the models, although not technically an SSW but 2012 feb caused so much debate on here, 2013 Jan and 2009 Jan also. I remember 2012 the met office couldn't judge what was going to happen for a long while, I do believe that any SSW where models are 50/50 between cold / blocked or Atlantic driven and wet that cold is still more likely than mild in mid winter, however because of the resultant temps / weather type from similar synoptics tend to be less weighted in favour of cold (certainly of the snow type) the nearer we get to summer, I would be a little more cautious.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Out to day 10 and looking at the ensembles I would back a good 5 day spell at least of mainly dry conditions across most if not all of the UK.

EDM1-120.GIF?07-0   EDM1-168.GIF?07-0   EDM1-216.GIF?07-0

That cold plunge looks too far east with us stuck between two deep troughs, one over Russia and the other in the Atlantic, the complication comes when you start to think that the base of the ridge could be eroded from either or both sides. At this point is when I think we will start to see complications, for example the potential for cut off systems and maybe a high developing at higher latitudes with the jet going well south of the UK. At this point I still suspect any change from an anticyclonic regime is beyond the 10 day time frame at the present time.

Fair to say you could get easterlies (Mild or cold), northerlies, or southerlies from this point as well as your underwhelming return of the Atlantic situations.

A lot of dry weather to come beyond the middle of the week in the south and by the weekend in the north, in any sunshine it will feel pleasant and of course will start to dry out areas still impacted by the flooding during the winter just gone.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Cluster 3 would be a humdinger.

• Like 1

Posted

A quick summation of this morning's GFS. Wet and windy in the south tomorrow as a low nips into the channel en route for France. Thereafter it's the story of HP domination until the latter stages of the run when the Atlantic creeps back in. Temperatures generally becoming above average.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_6.thumb.png.77044f35e

No surprises from the woodshed this morning vis the anomalies. The 6-10 is as expected and the 10-15 continues to to introduce zonality with just faint ridging mid Atlantic and thus the temps returning to around average.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_39.thumb.png.0828f0de8dgefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.c9bdbc0989

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted

Are the anomalies taking the SSW into account yet @knocker, as unless I'm mistaken even the normal models haven't got a full grip on it yet. 

• Like 6

Posted
22 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Are the anomalies taking the SSW into account yet @knocker, as unless I'm mistaken even the normal models haven't got a full grip on it yet. 

That I cannot say with any authority Paul but the EC32 is not dissimilar for the same time period so i would assume to a certain extent. What I;m struggling with regarding the SSW and recently the continued ref to the MJO is that nobody can be certain what the combined affects will be on the dynamics of the trop. in the eastern Atlantic hence rather than speculate I prefer to play safe and stick to the models. I suspect it's after this period when the uncertainty creeps in.

• Like 1

Posted

In the immediate term models failed to pick up this front pushing into central Areas From the west mainly falling as snow! 

image.png

image.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

In the immediate term models failed to pick up this front pushing into central Areas From the west mainly falling as snow! 

image.png

image.gif

So is the radar which shows it falling as rain, if reaching the ground at all. Rain started with a temperature of 0.9C here this morning.

Posted

The ext EPS 10-15 keeps the HP ridging in the vacinity of the UK all the time weakening it until late in the period when it too resorts to a more zonal flow. The deep trough and the cold air remain over NE Europe.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, MP-R said:

So is the radar which shows it falling as rain, if reaching the ground at all. Rain started with a temperature of 0.9C here this morning.

So I must be imagining the snow that is falling and settling in herts right now. Not even a hint of sleet at 90m asl 

• Like 3

Posted

Well you can only lol - weeks of snow events disappearing at T24, and today in some southern areas are receiving snow by complete surprise.

Another very localised shock to the system is this unusual developing low for tomorrow morning:

27-289.GIF?08-6

70mph gusts for areas around Somerset, and from a northerly direction - very unusual. The thing that concerns me is that this is a late developing low, so have the models got a handle on it? Could it weaker - or perhaps even stronger?

Mid term - I feel a sense of order this morning, as usual a kind of moderation between the extreme easterly charts and the extreme warm charts - looks like High Pressure will be centred just slightly north of the UK:

ECM1-168.GIF?08-12

This often happens in early spring - a weak easterly element keeping the south/east a bit cloudier and cooler, but western coasts enjoying warmish sunshine (could see 60s F in favoured spots I'd think).

Later on - I think the chart below reflects what I'm expecting; heights over the UK will be perfectly positioned by T168-T216 for a fusing with any increase in heights further towards the Arctic (surely a possibility given the SSW), leading to a northward movement of the UK High and a tentative movement of the very cold Siberian trough towards Scandinavia - looking something like this (with perhaps a touch more lowering of heights towards the Azores)

gensnh-14-1-264.png

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 1

Posted

Cold Knocking on the door of our South West members (pardon the pun)

gfsnh-0-204_hqp0.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

240_mslp500_arc.png?cb=68

This from ECM raises eyebrows as it's about to initiate a cross-polar flow toward the UK. Something which has been notably absent from recent GFS runs which seem to follow the theme of 'omega block or bust'.

There's some crazy stuff going on with the strat. projections though;

npst30.png npst30.pngnpst30.png

Just look how fast that vortex remnant is retrogressing across the Atlantic! At this point there is strong support for a blocking high moving from NE to N of the UK, but down in the trop. there are issues with displacing a deep trough to Siberia quickly and cleanly enough to make room for such to occur. Hence the theme of HP over northern UK with a nagging easterly across the south - not a pleasant prospect.

npst30.png npsh500.png

Before long we see the remnant making it to the U.S. (as per Cohen's expectations - but faster I think?). GFS lowers heights over Canada in response and on the 00z got very much carried away with that idea. The 06z is more reasonable but I should think it has removed the blocking from N of the UK too quickly - the models often underestimate the persistence of these features. So I am treating an idea of a westerly influence by week 3 of the month as extremely suspect. Perhaps we can get lucky and see the blocking gradually relax back down across the UK for another lengthy spell of dry conditions.

Before all of the above shenanigans, we have a little monster to deal with tomorrow;

NetWx-SR: nmmukgust.png  AROME: arome-11-36-0.png?08-08  ARPEGE: arpege-11-34-0.png?08-11

The northward extent remains uncertain, but it does appear that yet again, the added moisture and greater heat input offered by the Channel waters are attracting the core of the system - this being why we so often see 'Channel Lows' in winter/early spring.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Singularity said:

Just look how fast that vortex remnant is retrogressing across the Atlantic! At this point there is strong support for a blocking high moving from NE to N of the UK, but down in the trop. there are issues with displacing a deep trough to Siberia quickly and cleanly enough to make room for such to occur. Hence the theme of HP over northern UK with a nagging easterly across the south - not a pleasant prospect.

There is a much more pleasant solution on offer for the South in some GEFS members though, a bitterly cold convective Easterly with heavy snow showers and  a biting wind, what do you think the chances are of anything approaching verification occurring, Strat charts have been brilliant now for a while, so much so that ive  stopped looking at them, its whether it can be replicated now or not, the Strat Vortex looks a complete gonner to me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

There is a much more pleasant solution on offer for the South in some GEFS members though, a bitterly cold convective Easterly with heavy snow showers and  a biting wind, what do you think the chances are of anything approaching verification occurring, Strat charts have been brilliant now for a while, so much so that ive  stopped looking at them, its whether it can be replicated now or not, the Strat Vortex looks a complete gonner to me.

I think a straight-forward replication of the strat. pattern in the trop. would produce the convective easterly - but as usual there looks to be complications such as how a few peripheral lows interact with the main Siberian trough as it drops south and then possible edges west. An undercut of blocking N/NE of the UK by either that or a secondary low into Scandinavia is needed to import air that is cold enough, and without too much modification of the lower levels by the North Sea. Perhaps a 1 in 4 chance of all the pieces coming together prior to week 3 of March. I have to add that limiter because the longer range is just impossible to fathom at the moment beyond the idea that a standard zonal regime is the least likely outcome.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Cold Knocking on the door of our South West members (pardon the pun)

gfsnh-0-204_hqp0.png

I really hope this chart verifies, more cold is needed now no more spring temperatures

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

So I must be imagining the snow that is falling and settling in herts right now. Not even a hint of sleet at 90m asl 

My reply was adding to the point you were making, not attacking it. Think twice before posting shirty replies please.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
7 minutes ago, MP-R said:

My reply was adding to the point you were making, not attacking it. Think twice before posting shirty replies please.

Think Tim knows that. Look at the The "shifty" bit of his reply as ironic comment aimed at both the models and the radar projections rather than anything aimed at you. That's how I read it anyway :)

• Like 3