Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 20th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yeah, I would expect maxima of 4-5C for most parts of central and southern Britain, but also some hard frosts- typically around -3 to -6C without snow cover and approaching -10C in any lowland areas that do manage a snow cover.

The sluggish nature of the N/NE flow and lack of cold pooling in the anomalously warm Arctic significantly reduce the potential snow for the coming week.  I expect any frontal systems to bring mainly rain and sleet at low levels, with mostly cold, dry and sunny weather otherwise.  But the Svalbard/Franz Josef Land area is generally projected to cool down to near-normal temperatures in about a week's time, so any northerlies or north-easterlies into early March, if the cold spell sustains for that long, should be more potent.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Anyone still have access to the parallel ECM?  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
9 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

must atleast get some snow showers coming from the sea 

prectypeuktopo.png

Cheshire gap action there

i think we all know in a setup as being modelled, disturbances will absolutely appear. So we look to be getting the cold in, and changes will be plentiful, perhaps even down into the southwest as well as the odd slider pushes closer to the uk.

good times ahead if cold is your thing. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted

So going by this evening's output which category would most of you put this cold spell in I wonder,if the ecm upgrades further we could be calling it a severe cold outbreak!but as it stands where would you put it I wonder.....chilly/cold/rather cold/very cold/or bitter.?:cold:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

So going by this evening's output which category would most of you put this cold spell in I wonder,if the ecm upgrades further we could be calling it a severe cold outbreak!but as it stands where would you put it I wonder.....chilly/cold/rather cold/very cold/or bitter.?:cold:

Imo I'd say a mixture of the below

rather cold/very cold/or bitter.

Posted

Get the cold in first and snow opportunities will follow, often at very short notice. Take nxt sat for example, a raft of options there...

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
57 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Cheshireliableap action there

i think we all k now in a setup as being modelled, disturbances will absolutely appear. So we look to be getting the cold in, and changes will be plentiful, perhaps even down into the southwest as well as the odd slider pushes closer to the uk.

good times ahead if cold is your thing. 

Post of tne day there Sir☺

On a more Model related post and not a IMBY post

As others have said mostly dry in the reliable time frame

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
7 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

For the Midlands north this will be cold and produce snow. For the south the form horse would be chilly and with cold rain. In 32 years of living in the south of England (since leaving Scotland) I am yet to see a single proper snowfall in March. March 2013 was a miss for my locality - and looking at the uppers as modelled at the moment I'm a long way from confident of conditions sustained enough to support snow.

But I very much hope to be proved wrong - and to have my 32 year duck broken.

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Imo I'd say a mixture of the below

rather cold/very cold/or bitter.

Isn't this (colder from mid-late February onwards) pretty-much what most reputable forecasters have been suggesting all along? :D

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Isn't this (colder from mid-late February onwards) pretty-much what most reputable forecasters have been suggesting all along? :D

Yes, he asked for an opinion so I gave mine. Ask IDO, he might have a different one?

• Like 5

Posted
16 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Get the cold in first and snow opportunities will follow, often at very short notice. Take nxt sat for example, a raft of options there...

image.png

This is a really important point, Tim, and I'm surprised at some people tonight taking the T120-T240 precipitation charts too seriously - we always say that when snow IS shown, so surely we should be consistent and say the same when it ISN'T shown.

If one were to simply study the pressure and 850 charts tonight, you could conclude that there may not be a major snowfall, but you'd be lucky to avoid any snow showers at all for as many as 8 straight days - particularly central/northern areas. Look at it face value. No strong high pressure nearby. A deep low passing nearby to the SW, but we are well within the parameters of the depression. A strong easterly with low 850s off the North Sea. Then another depression trying to drop down from Iceland to Europe via us. You'd bet your house on that producing at least something.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4

Posted

Let's not complain at  what the charts are showing tonight. After the last few months I think all us coldies can have a smile on our faces. Must be ok due to the fact IDO has vanished. 

Not  bothered if the ECM or GFS show a cold but dry outlook, it will gives us in the North West  some drying out time.

Edited by Bolton67
  • Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Yes, he asked for an opinion so I gave mine. Ask IDO, he might have a different one?

Why would IDO, or anyone else, say any different: both the MetO and NW have consistently forecast colder weather after mid-late February, lasting through March. Of course, this may never happen but, so far, things seem to be almost on schedule??:D

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no
12 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

it very much an evolving pattern Luke..synoptically it looks to be getting really cold for all of the UK, best guess is its somewhere between the coldest part of the fridge and the warmest part of the freezer... both are great if you a coldie .. follow ukmo and ecm .. as many have said, get the cold in first and see what happens.. its going to be a brill week of model watching , thats for sure :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening all! So the cold getting in place this week and with model output  verifying that this will last for some time, so let the Late Winter Rollercoaster begin...:cold::)

snowx.gif

freezing.gif

cold in place.png

cold in placex.png

• Like 2

Posted

The North Sea can't be that cold after this winter , wouldn't that help generate some showers in a cold Easterly? Down the Thames for instance!! I think next weekends strong Easterly flow down South may well surprise some...

As some have said, let's get the cold in first.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Why would IDO, or anyone else say any different: both the MetO and NW have consistently forecast colder weather after mid-late February, lasting through March. Of course, this may never happen but, so far, things seem to be almost on schedule??:D

All I did was give Luke an answer to his question of my opinion Ed. But clearly you felt that should be brought to question. 

ofcourse I take what the Met office, net weather forecasters such as Nick, as well as the far more knowledgable folk in here than me, Steve M, Nick S and quite frankly anyone else who has a reasoned opinion on what the "models" are showing. As with 99.9% of this forums members I'm not a meteorologist, so if I said something wrong, why not just remove my post and message me directly rather than having a dig :nonono:

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

All I did was give Luke an answer to his question of my opinion Ed. But clearly you felt that should be brought to question. 

ofcourse I take what the Met office, net weather forecasters such as Nick, as well as the far more knowledgable folk in here than me, Steve M, Nick S and quite frankly anyone else who has a reasoned opinion on what the "models" are showing. As with 99.9% of this forums members I'm not a meteorologist, so if I said something wrong, why not just remove my post and message me directly rather than try and humiliate me. :nonono:

I've no motive to 'humiliate' you, karlos...I was merely asking a question, is all...Peace, my friend?:D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
14 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Why would IDO, or anyone else, say any different: both the MetO and NW have consistently forecast colder weather after mid-late February, lasting through March. Of course, this may never happen but, so far, things seem to be almost on schedule??:D

Not sure what you're getting at here. Yes - cold late in Feb was what the Met called.... but if all we ever did was agree with the supercomputers then we might as well close down sites like this and forget trying to promote the art of weather forecasting. As a Forum Team member I assume you wouldnt want that?

And besides - even the most powerful of organisations get things wrong... so the fact that the Met have seemingly called this winter correctly is great news for them and for their ability to market their products - but it doesnt make them foolproof as they would readily admit. So "reputable" they may well be, and we are all delighted to have such an excellent Met Office.... but that is no reason to stop trying to improve the Art, and grow our understanding.

So.... the reason that some may say something different would be because they might disagree with the supercomputer and be prepared to put themselves up against Glosea code. And that keeps this forum ticking.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Can We Please Keep The Model Output On The Model Output Please...:)

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Catacol said:

Not sure what you're getting at here. Yes - cold late in Feb was what the Met called.... but if all we ever did was agree with the supercomputers then we might as well close down sites like this and forget trying to promote the art of weather forecasting. As a Forum Team member I assume you wouldnt want that?

And besides - even the most powerful of organisations get things wrong... so the fact that the Met have seemingly called this winter correctly is great news for them and for their ability to market their products - but it doesnt make them foolproof as they would readily admit. So "reputable" they may well be, and we are all delighted to have such an excellent Met Office.... but that is no reason to stop trying to improve the Art, and grow our understanding.

So.... the reason that some may say something different would be because they might disagree with the supercomputer and be prepared to put themselves up against Glosea code. And that keeps this forum ticking.

About what are we arguing, Catacol? I agree with everything you say...