Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 20th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted
18 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Thanks for your take on things Phil :good:

I'm aware of the lack of propagation down but that's just the thing - for a SSW that splits the vortex clean in two, there really should be propagation right down to the troposphere and at a fair old pace too. Unless, of course, the theory I have read through is not entirely correct or has overlooked possible exceptions to the rule. On the other hand, Fergie has mentioned the issues with models struggling to handle the SSW (though the latest such advice was a few days back I think) and past experience does suggest that for whatever reason, the propagation mechanism is something the models have a hard time capturing effectively.

The actual outcome this month will have major ramifications in terms of how far the models have progressed since the last major SSW in 2009.

Edit: @knocker just wanted to check, is this an accidental contradiction in your post? "GEFS building heights south of Greenland thus veering the wind. Thus the weather turning more unsettled and the temps returning to around average"

tia.

Could the lack of propagation down be related to the state of the AO at the time of the SSW. The research paper into that suggested the strongest trop response was with the AO in positive territory, this less evident at neutral and even less so if the AO was negative.

It would of course sum up the year so far if one of the strongest zonal reversals still didn't deliver a higher latitude block.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
7 minutes ago, Singularity said:

I'm aware of the lack of propagation down but that's just the thing - for a SSW that splits the vortex clean in two, there really should be propagation right down to the troposphere and at a fair old pace too. Unless, of course, the theory I have read through is not entirely correct or has overlooked possible exceptions to the rule. On the other hand, Fergie has mentioned the issues with models struggling to handle the SSW (though the latest such advice was a few days back I think) and past experience does suggest that for whatever reason, the propagation mechanism is something the models have a hard time capturing effectively.

The actual outcome this month will have major ramifications in terms of how far the models have progressed since the last major SSW in 2009.

Edit: @knocker just wanted to check, is this an accidental contradiction in your post? "GEFS building heights south of Greenland thus veering the wind. Thus the weather turning more unsettled and the temps returning to around average"

tia.

Cheers S.

Yes i noted in some of your recent posts regarding the lack of tropospheric response-my post was just to illustrate this really through the use of the models prompted by my own curiosity.

I don't know why the complete down welling hasn't yet shown and maybe this is something  that will still happen but in stages and not in one event.I would think pretty soon we would be looking at a final warming anyway as the polar night is virtually at end so any vortex recovery would be short-lived.

Interesting though to follow how the final throes of the pv impacts on our 500hPa pattern as i can't recall so much discussion on this facet of model output discussion in previous years.

I guess it shows how the quest for more understanding has grown and spread to forums such as this.Keep up the good work on here.:)

• Like 3

Posted

After a bit of a break from this forum (model watching fatigue I have to admit!)  my take on the SSW is that at least it could deliver a less extreme version of March 2013 and at best a replica of March-April 2013. At least the predominantely unsettled weather day in and day out has finally hit the road after nigh on 4 months plaguing the UK as it now looks more likely according to models that a much needed settled, chiller period could be on the cards which is just what we need to dry ourselves out after the second wettest winter on record :) The Atlantic and PV also does not have as much power as it did 1-3 months ago so any Atlantic wet weather should not last as long as it did in Winter perhaps the odd unsettled days but unlikely to be weeks of rain and wind again. 

Edited by wishingforsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Singularity said:

We had another couple of SSWs since 2009  - February 2010 and January 2013. The last one certainly propagated down swiftly and had a lasting and memorable effect - well captured in the modelling. This event just maybe delayed or there is something else going on which is not being factored in.

I posted a paper in the Strat. thread which, I think, outlines the progression of this winter well. No strength to Wave 2 and is in fact an overlap in Wave 1 that actually interferes with midwinter SSW development.

• Like 3

Posted

I know despite the SSW, that a cold spell as major as the last third of March 2013 is looking unlikely. But surely we could still get a snow day (perhaps even a blizzard) if things fall into place. After all we had settling snow in the night (though the Sun got to work on it the next day) in April 2008. There are of course examples of snow occurring in April in other years such as 1981 and 1989 and not to mention as late as June in 1975 (though that was an extreme anomaly). What's interesting though that all those examples (with the exception of 1981) occurred following mild or very mild Winters (not that I'm suggesting they occurred because of that, just that its obviously not impossible for such to happen despite that).

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Singularity said:

tia.

No. Why is it a contradiction? Flow becoming NW.

gefs_z500a_eur_61.thumb.png.d222566bb041gefs_t2ma_1d_eur_61.thumb.png.1ad0e3d200

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
1 minute ago, knocker said:

No. Why is it a contradiction? Flow becoming NW.

Oh do you mean to the south of Greenland i.e. a mid-Atlantic high? In which case I see the logic.

Interesting thoughts on the impacts of the AO state on the SSW @nick sussex, I had been thinking that a neutral or positive precursor AO is sufficient for a significant impact, but it could be that the ill-defined nature of a neutral AO interferes the propagation down and leads to a messier picture in the troposphere, with a more hit-and-miss result at the mid-latitudes.

There was just a hint of zonal reversal right down to the surface in yesterday's ECM strat. output, but it was up near 80*N and quickly lost again:

ecmwfzm_u_f192.gif ecmwfzm_u_f240.gif

There is a real struggle to remove the 1000-100 hPa zonal winds at the lower latitudes (around 60*N). Proof that size isn't everything when it comes to a SSW event.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Looks like there will be potentially quite a potent northerly / north westerly flow around D15

GFS_HGTMSL_384.thumb.png.c11823978a70d00

Posted
23 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

What was the 1975 June anomaly?

When it snowed then.

Posted
23 minutes ago, Singularity said:

There was just a hint of zonal reversal right down to the surface in yesterday's ECM strat. output, but it was up near 80*N and quickly lost again:

ecmwfzm_u_f192.gif ecmwfzm_u_f240.gif

There is a real struggle to remove the 1000-100 hPa zonal winds at the lower latitudes (around 60*N). Proof that size isn't everything when it comes to a SSW event.

Indeed. You might recall how a few days ago I mentioned how GloSea5 wasn't wholly convincing on whether easterlies would propogate right down; whilst the reversal aloft has been clear-cut (eg see recent GloSea5 strat diagnostics below; I can't show latest version), the tropospheric effects remain less immediately tangible. Latest thinking is that whilst SSW hasn't incepted the HP story emerging by this weekend (= too short lead time), it does probably result in its apparent longevity. That is in itself still an imponderable, as (per previous posts), the ongoing signal for a return to lowering GPH and increasing cyclonicity post-21st *may* be too fast (models always tend to overcome blocking too readily)...but nonetheless, that outcome remains a clear and arguably growing possibility, given repeating ENS signs of such, including 12z EC-EPS.

Screenshot_2016-03-08-23-30-17-1.png

Edited by fergieweather
  • Like 7

Posted

The points of note vis this morning's GFS is the shifting of the upper high further east which will depress the expected high temps a tad and the speed with which this breaks down. This scenario is supported by the GEFS anomalies.  They have the Atlantic trough moving east as the HP breaks down which initially brings a relative warm SW flow but as pressure rises in mid Atlantic this veers to NW as the trough settles over the UK. Thus a swing from temps above average to probably a little below as more unsettled weather becomes the order of the day. This is very much in line with the EC32. Easter cooler and unsettled.  The main trough and the colder air remains ensconced over NE Europe.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.9dc4cfc6ecgefs_z500a_nh_45.thumb.png.5d7c934523a51gefs_z500a_nh_59.thumb.png.c2600279e06a7

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

The ECM showing the retrogression of the locked up cold as the run lengthens

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_ECH0-240.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nouska said:

We had another couple of SSWs since 2009  - February 2010 and January 2013. The last one certainly propagated down swiftly and had a lasting and memorable effect - well captured in the modelling. This event just maybe delayed or there is something else going on which is not being factored in.

I posted a paper in the Strat. thread which, I think, outlines the progression of this winter well. No strength to Wave 2 and is in fact an overlap in Wave 1 that actually interferes with midwinter SSW development.

Yes as pointed out in the strat thread, wave 2 has been very weak this winter -

wave2.thumb.png.e491b519cb27b0b1959b5478

Though there is some vortex splitting forecast, it is not unusual for daughter vortices to form during/following a displacement which causes confusion when classifying SSW type as seen in this table from Charlton & Polvani -

CP07.thumb.png.9b5e6bd672e6bcfd9f118308e

But the current splitting is not by the classical wave 2 forcing and it may be that the underlying forcing mechanism helps determine how quickly and effectively the SSW downwells - a strong trop/strat wave 2 would be predisposed to a split vortex.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Quite an interesting run from the GFS 00Z with something for everyone really.

h850t850eu.png

Where we are now with this potent low moving through but clearing to the east as the day goes on. Looks like the dregs will hang around tomorrow with a largely dull day for most before improving Friday onwards with a little bit more in the way of sunshine, but certainly not a spring fest.

h850t850eu.png

Never really becoming that warm before the cool easterly sets in early next week. Could feel quite raw depending on cloud amounts. Wedge of -5 uppers crossing the country.

h850t850eu.png

A matter of days later winds veer southerly bringing up milder air (Spanish plume anyone?)

h850t850eu.png

Then normal March fare resuming in FI

It's pretty nailed that a dry spell of probably about 10 days is coming though I doubt it will feel that impressively springlike with a nagging breeze across the south especially, better further north. What will make the difference is the amount of sunshine. I think there's been a signal for a less anticyclonic final third to the month. That will need monitoring as we get nearer the time.

• Like 3

Posted

The ecm 5-10 is as expected and really it will boil down to the precise orientation of the upper high. Moving along the ext EPS follows a not dissimilar route to the GEFS with the UK HP initially ridging towards Iceland with a weak trough edging east. This eventually ends up with ridging mid Atlantic and a weak trough over the UK and a NW flow; ergo weather more unsettled with temps a little below average. The main trough and colder air still situated NE Europe.

I think the Easter barby might have to be in the woodshed.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.c549a81

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

It's all just a waiting game, we know the science and what should occur from atmospheric processes. 

image.thumb.png.b89fdb77a890e6878173c11fWithin next 7 days GFS has Trop PV moving to Siberia. It leaves an opening for heights to gain access to Greenland.

If so, how far westward will the cold pool get? 

image.thumb.png.18ff36a1af94e3ccc6f5e161The cold is there. 

Edited by KyleHenry
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The latest det. runs certainly indicate that the axis of cold export from the Arctic may fall just a little too far east to hit us directly. A typical story and one that threatens to bring us weather that is merely chilly, grey and unpleasant.

A shift either east or west improves our fortunes one way or another; the former in terms of more springlike weather, the latter for a late blast of wintry weather with snow a prominent feature. So who's betting we get that no-mans-land instead :rolleyes::laugh:

At least it looks to be largely dry for a long time, perhaps very long if we assume GFS' attempts to return zonality beyond day 9/10 are a result of model bias as opposed to a probable outcome.

21_192_500mb.png?cb=44 EDM1-240.GIF?09-12 EEM1-240.GIF?09-12

This GEFS mean leans toward the pattern evolving far east enough that we could even find ourselves on the side where warm air is flooding north as the counterpart to the cold air flooding south into western Asia/eastern Europe. EC ens. mean is similar and then even suggests a SW flow being possible.

I'm not convinced that the Atlantic trough will find that much westerly momentum, however. The EC spread shows uncertainty to our east that reflects the potential for the Siberian trough to move closer, and uncertainty to west which suggests the Atlantic trough could be either nearer still (somehow!) or further away to the west.

I do wonder if what we're seeing is the propagation down of the SSW stuttering a bit due to the neutral AO state, this preventing the fast-moving vortex remnant moving S of the UK and then W across the Atlantic from achieving much in the troposphere, while the near-stationary vortex remnant over Siberia is able to drive the trop. pattern due to its persistence in that area.

A possible adjustment to watch out for is the vortex remnant near us ending up further south, with the polar jet following suit. That increases the odds of an undercut from the Atlantic trough, with the UK high heading NW. This does however lead me to expect a fairly brief spell of notable cold followed something fairly benign as the main blocking moves away but we have only a fairly weak jet stream to drive low pressure systems our way. Just speculation, mind!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
30 minutes ago, Singularity said:

The latest det. runs certainly indicate that the axis of cold export from the Arctic may fall just a little too far east to hit us directly. A typical story and one that threatens to bring us weather that is merely chilly, grey and unpleasant.

A shift either east or west improves our fortunes one way or another; the former in terms of more springlike weather, the latter for a late blast of wintry weather with snow a prominent feature. So who's betting we get that no-mans-land instead :rolleyes::laugh:

At least it looks to be largely dry for a long time, perhaps very long if we assume GFS' attempts to return zonality beyond day 9/10 are a result of model bias as opposed to a probable outcome.

21_192_500mb.png?cb=44 EDM1-240.GIF?09-12 EEM1-240.GIF?09-12

This GEFS mean leans toward the pattern evolving far east enough that we could even find ourselves on the side where warm air is flooding north as the counterpart to the cold air flooding south into western Asia/eastern Europe. EC ens. mean is similar and then even suggests a SW flow being possible.

I'm not convinced that the Atlantic trough will find that much westerly momentum, however. The EC spread shows uncertainty to our east that reflects the potential for the Siberian trough to move closer, and uncertainty to west which suggests the Atlantic trough could be either nearer still (somehow!) or further away to the west.

I do wonder if what we're seeing is the propagation down of the SSW stuttering a bit due to the neutral AO state, this preventing the fast-moving vortex remnant moving S of the UK and then W across the Atlantic from achieving much in the troposphere, while the near-stationary vortex remnant over Siberia is able to drive the trop. pattern due to its persistence in that area.

A possible adjustment to watch out for is the vortex remnant near us ending up further south, with the polar jet following suit. That increases the odds of an undercut from the Atlantic trough, with the UK high heading NW. This does however lead me to expect a fairly brief spell of notable cold followed something fairly benign as the main blocking moves away but we have only a fairly weak jet stream to drive low pressure systems our way. Just speculation, mind!

Fear not, the GEFS are a big swing in the cold direction at the end. In fact that's 2 successive upgrades from the GEFS now.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Fear not, the GEFS are a big swing in the cold direction at the end.

I'm intrigued feb - feel free to elucidate.

gefs_z500a_eur_59.thumb.png.1cd86b665c35gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_59.thumb.png.cd39481d44

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

I'm intrigued feb - feel free to elucidate.

gefs_z500a_eur_59.thumb.png.1cd86b665c35gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_59.thumb.png.cd39481d44

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=227.63999938964844&y=34.86000061035156