Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 20th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted
2 hours ago, Lukesluckybunch said:
1 hour ago, chicken soup said:

I wish people would stop saying that infuriating phrase GET THE COLD IN FIRST THEN THE SNOW WILL COME...the snow never does come, and its looking the same this time...cold and dry week coming up.

So going by this evening's output which category would most of you put this cold spell in I wonder,if the ecm upgrades further we could be calling it a severe cold outbreak!but as it stands where would you put it I wonder.....chilly/cold/rather cold/very cold/or bitter.?:cold:

Didn't people say this in 2010 - I remember terms like dry as a bone and features popped up?

Luke

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

The GFS 18z allows for more snow showers drifting off the north sea, albeit light at this stage. 

• Like 1

Posted

Painfully close to a South West snow event on the pub run so far (T126) - parts of Ireland could do well

gfs-2-126.png?18 gfs-1-126.png?18

Thames Streamer potential by Saturday:

gfs-14-132.png?18

A little shortwave over Norway might help us from T138 - so often the spoiler, this time it could be the making of the cold spell as the upper flow would send it towards us in cold uppers. Not modelled or even forecast as yet, but we don't usually see them until we get inside T120!

gfs-0-138.png?18

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Pub run looking more like ukmo:cold:

Edited by snowice
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Also GFS 18z shows a trough with band of light snow in NW, moving into central england and then Home Counties, light. but just going to show anyone ruling out snow and a predominantly dry picture aint certain.  (This on Weds)

Edited by Mark N

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
57 minutes ago, Mark N said:

Also GFS 18z shows a trough with band of light snow in NW, moving into central england and then Home Counties, light. but just going to show anyone ruling out snow and a predominantly dry picture aint certain.  (This on Weds)

I think this trough was on the fax charts earlier.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Lp in spain is nearly the same as ukmo!18gfs has it in the same place cold uppers flooding west:cold:

Edited by snowice
  • Like 3

Posted

Snow showers will be packing in by next Sat/Sun from the east, they won't show up yet but will do on the high Res nearer the time...intact Sunday is showing this a little on the GFS chart, not that this is worth going off.

Pretty cold in the wind too!!

image.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Belting run, big upgrade in terms of upper temps and prolonging the cold.  This at 180

gfsnh-1-180.thumb.png.8f4dfbdf133abe7729gfsnh-0-180.thumb.png.e08d0f8534ac7cf5b9

Super stuff and great way to end the weekend!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
19 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

The GFS 18 has moved significantly ( again ) towards the UKMO 12z with heights suddenly over iceland appearing at 132 & low uppers remaining over the UK in situ....

another day of solid momentum for cold with upgrades -

-although I dont want to Jinx it !!

Yes steve,here they are side by side,although not as good as the ukmo,it's getting there

gfs,ukmo

gfs-0-144.thumb.png.2ef300a041430083b4a2UW144-21.thumb.GIF.b7c8d59a28681192cc0c0

and here is the 06z,def backtrack this evening:D

gfs-0-150.thumb.png.4e6caaf6e158ab70bfef

also,i would just like to point out about ppn charts(even though i post them too) several days out,do not take these as gospal as they change on each and every run even at t24 hrs,so sit back and enjoy this upcoming cold spell and see what unfolds through the week and into next weekend.:)

ps.from 162 hrs,could be a 2010 humber streamer,that dumped nearly a meter of snow here.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Low pressure to the SE, into France and Low countries pretty closeby by end of next weekend on this run. 

Posted

Not a hope in hell this would be bone dry for south eastern Britain and further on, In conclusion GFS ppn charts are cr@p I think the radar will be more useful.

image.thumb.png.bf77e2f3b03cb9a68129f0b5image.thumb.png.efdf84e4235209482c414bda

• Like 3

Posted

Just a quick sample of some of the ensembles from the gfs for  wednesday . usual caution advised  but shows how quickly ppn can appear . Not a great deal at the moment but perhaps a few flakes

gens-16-2-72.png

gens-14-2-66.png

gens-11-2-72.png

gens-10-2-72.png

gens-7-2-72.png

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, stratty said:

180-780UK.GIF?21-18.....better than nothing I suppose ;) , I'll lend you mine: Magnifying_glass.png

:nea:

oh!,there they are:rofl:

images.thumb.jpg.5a310422cd45e6f0dbebd6csnow_crysyal_under_a_microscope.thumb.jp

on a plus side,this is the best cold spell coming up that we havn't seen for a few years,lot's of cold weather on offer with night time frost's and cold days ahead,wintry ppn would be the added bonus but it's better than the long slog of mild,wet and windy weather that we have had to endure since December,i am sure everyone agree's with me on this,especially the NW that is sick to there back teeth of the relentless rain and flooding

the cold is coming,so sit tight peeps,the snow will follow,either with it being troughs coming in from the atlantic,troughs coming down from the north with unstable air or snow showers coming in from the SE/E or NE,plenty going on this week,:)

cheers

night all.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Very doubtful that there will be no ppn with an ENE of substantial strength and low heights with more than adequate uppers. 

I'd expect frequent snow showers off the North Sea with potential Thames/Kent streamer setups as they're closer to the lower heights on the latest run. Let's hope it stays the way it is! 

• Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Very doubtful that there will be no ppn with an ENE of substantial strength and low heights with more than adequate uppers. 

I'd expect frequent snow showers off the North Sea with potential Thames/Kent streamer setups as they're closer to the lower heights on the latest run. Let's hope it stays the way it is! 

And with the north sea warmer than last feb,bodes well for convection,IF we get that easterly.

http://seatemperature.info/february/north-sea-water-temperature.html

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted

the gfs 18z was a decent run for cold weather   however the para run keeps the cold more or less right out to the end of the run   at least two weeks of seasonal weather there,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Interesting to see if the output tomorrow keeps projecting a lengthy cold spell coming up that lasts well into March.

It's rare but not especially so, to  end up with a March that's colder than any of the "winter" months.   2013 was the last time  but that was the first time since 1949  (with a mean CET of 5.1C....imagine the disappointment of that winter and early spring!! ) In the  late 18th century it happened six times in fifty years

What's rarer is to have the four months get progressively colder...with Dec the warmest and March the coldest.  This is what happened in 2013 and i believe 1925 is the only other such occasion, 

The way the models are shaping up certainly makes it probable that Feb will be colder than Dec and Jan.....but also suggests there's a possibility we might get to see something happen for only the third time in history, just three years after we saw it happen for only the second time!!

• Like 9