Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 20th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A cold week to come certainly with temps in low single figures widely after tomorrow's cold front finally clears south.I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of ice days in the north later in the week as the coldest air gets in with minus 10C uppers reaching Scotland.

viewimage.thumb.png.dea6a3945645cd889499

i can't see any widespread precipitation but showers some with snow are quite likely in favoured areas to the north and east.Certainly some sharp night frosts around .

As Captain S mentioned earlier some interest towards the end of the week as the Atlantic jet takes a dive south towards Iberia

56ca1c4602e64_viewimagedivingjet.thumb.p

a low looks like developing at the base of the upper trough and if it sits far enough north then we could see rain maybe turning to snow affecting the southern part of the UK as the system comes up against the cold pool sat over us.

ecmt850.120.thumb.png.73b49586e4598c407egfs.thumb.png.887f6e96ab6cc07fb68009803dmet.120.thumb.png.447b0a88c71d50756edd2c

all 3 main models have similar ideas at day 5.

The last week of Winter finally has some nationwide cold interest.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I've no motive to 'humiliate' you, karlos...I was merely asking a question, is all...Peace, my friend?:D

Certainly. Peace :friends:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

I wish people would stop saying that infuriating phrase GET THE COLD IN FIRST THEN THE SNOW WILL COME...the snow never does come, and its looking the same this time...cold and dry week coming up.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Looking at the ECM ens during week 2 we see another Atlantic system move south east into Europe, the trajectory of this is uncertain at this point, we also see heights lower again to our north east in similar fashion to the ECM operational.

EDM101-192.GIF?21-0   EDM101-216.GIF?21-0   EDM101-240.GIF?21-0

It would be nice to see an improvement in the orientation of the low in the 5-7 day range as the ens tend to favour a slight warming up as winds turn more south easterly. This can and will change though.

• Like 3

Posted

You can see on the ECM postage stamps just how many different solutions there are at T120hrs.

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2016022112!!/

Where that low goes and its track will determine how much cold gets into the UK  in the medium term.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

The ukmo has not been very consistent this winter so its hard for many to back it against the form horse gfs/ecm at +96! But you never know hopefully its on to something in relation to the low and is right with the positioning over ibera!:)

Posted

Must have just seen the latest GloSea5 and EC Monthly updates and taken a peek at the UKMO

BBC weather presenter, Rachel Mackley, faints live on air during forecast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnCNQ3s5BQs

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
3 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Hi - but I have to confess to being one of the regular members on here who find constant reminding of this a bit frustrating. Of course this is model output discussion - but the current direction of talk is all related back to model interpretation - so why cant we let it run? If all we ever had was posts stating what the models show then this would become a really dull thread.

Hello, the only problem is that everyone will be telling us there disagreements on this thread , there is a thread for this :)

• Like 2

Posted

Yes the models are looking good for somthing a lot colder,but I still feel its not Complete because,there is some hints it could become milder at weekend is that right? Meaning the positioning of the low is crucial

Edited by Lukesluckybunch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Do people not remember the 16th January of this year? When a small feature, mostly of snow came down from the northwest and 'dumped' 2-5cm of snow for many down the spine of the country? That was due to be quite a small feature, appeared only a few days in advanced, but turned out to produce more snow than forecast. 

I am a firm believer that if the cold comes, the snow will follow for some. 

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 9

Posted
21 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

I wish people would stop saying that infuriating phrase GET THE COLD IN FIRST THEN THE SNOW WILL COME...the snow never does come, and its looking the same this time...cold and dry week coming up.

The snow wil most likely come if it's a cold ne/e wind.if it's a dry cold northerly it wil only be a lucky few who will get the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
10 minutes ago, Abyss said:

Where are the most favoured spots for snow this week? Scotland,NI and Northern England?

Nowhere 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Get the cold established first then see where the troughs/instability/and potential fronts appear. I know this may sound cliche but it IS true.

just as an example, think how many times in the last few weeks we have seen those GFS ppn charts posted with the hatched lines representing snowfall! Did they verify? No, not in the main.

so just understand that predicting ppn accurately beyond days 2-3-4 is very very difficult. 

Thats not to say we will see ppn, just that proclaiming it'll be dry or be snowy with any real conviction is pointless imo.

unless we were to get solid and consistent modelling on a frontal incursion then anything else is open to changes.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
7 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

Nowhere 

No one knows yet as that is the reality with forecasting snow .:) Lots of helpful one liners tonight

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Get the cold established first then see where the troughs/instability/and potential fronts appear. I know this may sound cliche but it IS true.

just as an example, think how many times in the last few weeks we have seen those GFS ppn charts posted with the hatched lines representing snowfall! Did they verify? No, not in the main.

so just understand that predicting ppn accurately beyond days 2-3-4 is very very difficult. 

Thats not to say we will see ppn, just that proclaiming it'll be dry or be snowy with any real conviction is pointless imo.

unless we were to get solid and consistent modelling on a frontal incursion then anything else is open to changes.

Exactly Chris

these marginal events we've had recently would not be marginal had we got the cold in first. When your taking about back edge snow for example,  with the possibility of front edge in the SE as the cold comes back in from a continental feed, that's not a situation you have when the cold is already in place. Yeah we may have a majority of the U.K. having just cold sunny days with frosy nights, but when precip arrives, the snow chances become a lot less marginal.

Bring it on

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.
32 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

i think the point is, its the "model output discussion" thread.

not the "model output- lets all agree and just state what the models are showing without debate" thread.

if we all agreed harmoniously, there would be no discussion!

I am with you on that.  Logically we should also be able to debate what the models failed to predict. When Tamara tells us that  the strat models called this potential cold spell three weeks early, l have to ask in terms of forecasting, how useful that is?  Just a question.:)

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

You can see on the ECM postage stamps just how many different solutions there are at T120hrs.

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2016022112!!/

Where that low goes and its track will determine how much cold gets into the UK  in the medium term.

Looking at that, Nick, shakes confidence in there being snow-sufficient cold between T120 and T168/T192. There are a number of ways that the pattern could evolve differently to the op - two possibilities are

1. the trough dropping too far SW leading to a SEly or even a Sly (early spring for a couple of days)

2. an extra shortwave developing near Iceland which I imagine would prevent the low to the SW breaking away - not sure how it would progress after that, perhaps to an even colder NEly with time as the trough may merely be held up on its journey to Europe, gathering cold from the Arctic Circle above Finland in the meantime. - but there would be a milder interlude.

However - one for you MushyManRob - gettting closer to the Greenland High on the latest NOAA 8 to 14 dayer - and even an Omega block looks possible now814day.03.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Much as it pains me to say it the SE doesn't look to bad at the moment

Pains you hey? GOOD! its about time I've not seen a covering of the white stuff since January 2013! us southeasterners are particularly snow starved- so much so I wont start believing we will have any until T1hour  when its approaching on the radar as we've been let down Sooo many times lol

3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

• Like 7

Posted
12 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Pains you hey? GOOD! its about time I've not seen a covering of the white stuff since January 2013! us southeasterners are particularly snow starved- so much so I wont start believing we will have any until T1hour  when its approaching on the radar as we've been let down Sooo many times lol

You should try being a south westerner :wallbash:

• Like 8