Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiwi

Referendum - New Zealand's Flag

Referendum - New Zealand's flag  

15 members have voted

1. 1. In March New Zealand will decide whether to adopt a new flag. Which Flag would you vote for?

• Silver Fern Flag
    • Current NZ Flag

New Zelander's get to vote for a new flag in March.

Should we ditch the current flag, with its Union Jack and its very British roots?

nzflag.thumb.jpg.d9fd05f195bc26101273757

I like the poster with its polite "honestly, we don't have to change it: it's completely up to you" tone.  It reminds me of the ones you used to see in Murray's office in Flight of the Conchords:

news-zealand-tourist-posters-4.jpg

http://www.anorak.co.uk/336316/tv/all-of-murrays-new-zealand-tourism-posters-from-flight-of-the-conchords.html/

I like the new design, so yes, go for it.

21 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

I like the poster with its polite "honestly, we don't have to change it: it's completely up to you" tone.  It reminds me of the ones you used to see in Murray's office in Flight of the Conchords

I wonder what design Murray would have come up with? Perhaps this?nzb.thumb.jpg.4aefea0db7eefddbed383af493

There were some bizarre options in the first referendum to choose the alternative flag. My choice in the first round came second;

nzflag2.thumb.jpg.2dc3de0cd2a60ac2bf1906

All polling evidence a thumping win for the current flag. Another example of nationalists wasting money on something nobody outside of their own support base wants.

24 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

All polling evidence a thumping win for the current flag. Another example of nationalists wasting money on something nobody outside of their own support base wants.

Yes, the existing flag is well ahead in the polls, although support does appear to be growing for the new flag.

But I really hate it when people muddle our flag with Australia.

nza1.thumb.jpg.8386a3767833c7f4b71a9521f

emerson_oz_nz.thumb.jpg.c2cafb2263c69b79

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

Yes, the existing flag is well ahead in the polls, although support does appear to be growing for the new flag.

But I really hate it when people muddle our flag with Australia.

nza1.thumb.jpg.8386a3767833c7f4b71a9521f

emerson_oz_nz.thumb.jpg.c2cafb2263c69b79

Ha. At any rate i hope our brethren don't make such a change. 

If we did leave the EU it would be interesting to see how receptive the New Zealand people are to closer ties. We did more or less abandon them in 73.

The proposed replacement flag looks awesome!

I think the original is the best, so do the polls its gorgeous 

19 hours ago, Kiwi said:

My choice in the first round came second;

nzflag2.thumb.jpg.2dc3de0cd2a60ac2bf1906

I liked this one the most too, although the final choice looks good and the black is of course well known as associated with NZ; like when they're gubbing you at rugby.

I must admit I had to google the precise differences between the current NZ and Aussie flags.:pardon:

EDIT. Thinking about this, I think you guys should just go for a simple white fern on pantone 300 sky blue background; best choice of colours IMO.:)

The proposed new flag is a bit nondescript. It looks like the emblem of a sports franchise (although that may be the point).

The existing flag will always be confused with Australia's.

If its the Union Jack that's the problem, should've just replaced it with a silver fern in the corner. Job done.

Love NZ btw. Great people, awesome place.

1 hour ago, Dougal said:

The proposed new flag is a bit nondescript. It looks like the emblem of a sports franchise (although that may be the point).

The existing flag will always be confused with Australia's.

If its the Union Jack that's the problem, should've just replaced it with a silver fern in the corner. Job done.

Love NZ btw. Great people, awesome place.

Sports Franchise?!!

....actually, perhaps under the current franchise arrangements we could charge the UK an annual fee to keep the Union Jack branding?:D

A fairly resounding 'No' to the beach towel then. It seems the Kiwis want a daft new flag about as much as the Scots want to leave the UK!

1 hour ago, Dougal said:

A fairly resounding 'No' to the beach towel then. It seems the Kiwis want a daft new flag 

Or maybe they just didn't like the new design? You called it a 'beach towel' for example.

I'm not sure why they went about it in a reverse kind of way. Why not have a referendum on whether a new flag is needed, then, based on that, search for a new design over a suitable period, selecting the final choice by vote? Wouldn't that be the normal way of doing stuff.

Those promoting a new flag may have tripped themselves up by doing it they way they did.

I agree with that.

It was a bit like asking the Scots to vote for an Independent nation with Alex Salmond at the helm.

I'm sure if NZ come up with a more presentable design they'll be pushing for another referendum!

Btw, I reckon the obvious choice of a silver fern on a black background was rejected because it is somewhat reminiscent of a flag that has been in some very negative headlines lately.

It's an awkward look having the Union Jack in the corner, there has to come a time when the historical meaning loses all relevance as a country socially evolves on its own two feet. Credit to New Zealand for the progressive proposal; it will take 20+ years for Australia to go down that path of trying.

It is kinda ironic that the Union flag may be more prevalent in NZ and Australia that it is in parts of the UK.

It's as rare as hen's teeth to see one locally these days. When I was young they were fairly common, with loads of stuff having the prefix 'British', be that rail, coal, gas whatever...

All gone now of course.

Obviously New Zealanders dont feel the need, just yet, to cut ties with the UK. A bit like Scotland i guess.

9 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Obviously New Zealanders dont feel the need, just yet, to cut ties with the UK. A bit like Scotland i guess.

Sure. Not yet.

It's partly because some 'Scottish' political parties (in this case British Labour in Scotland) have this type of view regarding Scotland's national flag / Scotland. They let it slip sometimes, inching things on a little further.

image-1.jpeg