Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Just had 10 mins snow shower just covered most places in finest covering and melting as soon as it stopped. Nice surprise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
19 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

No snow here, but beautiful clear skies and a frost at -1C. Looks like another nice day hopefully.

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Haven't ventured out yet to properly measure it but I,d say we have 4,5 maybe even 6 flakes in the deeper drifts

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Wonder what's causing the constant precipitation developing over Calais .

Was watching,ng those clouds, kept getting closer to here then moving away again, was hoping they would reach me and not warm thing up lol.

Posted
12 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Wonder what's causing the constant precipitation developing over Calais .

Was watching, those clouds, kept getting closer to here then moving away again, was hoping they would reach me and not warm thing up lol.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Tuesday's forecasts V Today's

At least some of you cant say, " They didn't forecasts that, that's not what it said ".  I see our tax payers money is money well spent!

2.jpg.05371381c57e09fb67762756cee0d854.jpg

t.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
11 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

At least some of you cant say, " They didn't forecasts that, that's not what it said ".  I see our tax payers money is money well spent!

t.jpg

Yep your right Neil, quite unbelievable that in 2016 the age of technology the BBC can still get away with this and it go unnoticed. 

I wonder if there will ever be a time in our generation where my tax money will fund good enough models and rid of pathetic longer range inaccurate beeb forecasts. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Yep your right Neil, quite unbelievable that in 2016 the age of technology the BBC can still get away with this and it go unnoticed. 

I wonder if there will ever be a time in our generation where my tax money will fund good enough models and rid of pathetic longer range inaccurate beeb forecasts. 

Well I did tweet them again today asking why the sudden change, no response... Probably too busy getting excited over our money being spent for the Arctic holiday :D

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

The new ecm becomes operational in a few months, it's seems to verify well, according to fergi, we'll see if that improves the BBC graphics, as it was what models were forecasting at the time of forecast. Also remember most people will probably be happy it's downgraded. I know we like snow, but most people I know always talk of snow as a negative thing.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

22 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

t.jpg

Interesting to see Iain Fergusons response to this. If I am incorrect please correct me but they run with features days out, days ahead and the week ahead changes daily does it not. I feel we had and have a bit of cherry picking going on here. things do change and on a public site like the Beeb what do you expect. forecasts are normally out by 12 hours so as we say if things change these are not live.....

Posted
26 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

Interesting to see Iain Fergusons response to this. If I am incorrect please correct me but they run with features days out, days ahead and the week ahead changes daily does it not. I feel we had and have a bit of cherry picking going on here. things do change and on a public site like the Beeb what do you expect. forecasts are normally out by 12 hours so as we say if things change these are not live.....

I appreciate that, then why do they bother with such an inaccurate prediction when they no most of the time they never get it right beyond 4 days anyway.
I for one have no sympathy what so ever that they go on running with features days out and its certainly not cherry picking. They are the top TV weather forecasting platform on British TV, Why on earth should i be content with their inaccurate tax payers forecasts just because things change. If things change then why do they bother going more then 2 days ahead. Pretty appalling that in 2016 weather cannot be predicted accurately 4 days + in the UK.

• Like 2

Posted

Sorry Ben, I am I reading your comment right that in 2016 the weather cannot be predicted for longer than 4 days????? I am surprised in this comment in a big way. No super computer gets it right end of the divergences after 4 days is huge which is why they never confidently go past 4 days.

We live on an Island with changes in weather that even now we still struggle to predict. I am no expert but I never go futher than 72-96 hours, most things after that ar FI but you know that.

The two frames are a days difference and should be noted that when advertised not on the main forecasts showed early next week potential and that is all it was as on Tuesday that was 5+ days away......

Also a point to this is that this info is gleaned fro m the Met Office as well

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

When they give a quick over view of a few days time, its more a "be prepared" sort of info.
I dont tend to worry about it going wrong.

Its when they get it very wrong for within 24 hours or even same day that I get sort of upset.
This does tend to happen quite a lot.
However its the weather you aint never going to be 100% right.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

When they give a quick over view of a few days time, its more a "be prepared" sort of info.
I dont tend to worry about it going wrong.

Its when they get it very wrong for within 24 hours or even same day that I get sort of upset.
This does tend to happen quite a lot.
However its the weather you aint never going to be 100% right.

IIRC, it was, as you say, a "Be prepared, we think this might happen" warning.  Fair enough, it didn't, but it's unfair to criticise them, in my opinion.  It would have been more justifiable had they not mentioned it and it then happened.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Jimmyh said:

Sorry Ben, I am I reading your comment right that in 2016 the weather cannot be predicted for longer than 4 days????? I am surprised in this comment in a big way. No super computer gets it right end of the divergences after 4 days is huge which is why they never confidently go past 4 days.

We live on an Island with changes in weather that even now we still struggle to predict. I am no expert but I never go futher than 72-96 hours, most things after that ar FI but you know that.

The two frames are a days difference and should be noted that when advertised not on the main forecasts showed early next week potential and that is all it was as on Tuesday that was 5+ days away......

Also a point to this is that this info is gleaned fro m the Met Office as well

I have never been happy with the BBC forecasts, 72hrs + and they are usually wrong. How you think this is acceptable is beyond me.

Just because we live on a Island with changes, Surely years of experience/investment in computers/ top Meteorology degrees should have improved forecasting abilities to deal with our volatile part of the world. You might be happy with paying your tax for inaccurate TV weather forecasts post 72hours in 2016, but I am certainly NOT. 

• Like 1

Posted

UPDATE : 

BBC Weather ‏@bbcweather  1m1 minute ago

@I" Hi, Suspect long lead time on this forecast. We acknowledge things will change. NE'ly prevails at weekend with some snow P

• Like 2