Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The rain started at 03.00 this morning with a very distant rumble of thunder. From then on my slumber was interrupted on and off by either torrential rain lashing against the window or a rumble of thunder. I was finally woken at 06.50 this morning by a massive clap of thunder very nearby. Looking at the Real-time Lightening map, East Anglia seems to have been the favoured area for storm activity this morning. It's gone a bit quiet on the radar this last 30 minutes though.

Still pouring down at the mo and my station has measured 26.4mm since 03.00 - more than an inch of rain. Radar shows the area of rain moving slowly E with the pulses moving SE.

07.15 Rain Radar Tues31May 07.15.jpg Lightening Lightening Tues31May 07.15.jpg

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Bloody hell! I've never seen rain so heavy than just a moment ago. All the roads are now flooded. I do hope it ends soon because it's quite concerning how much rain has/is falling. Atleast I won't need to water the garden anytime soon. Crikey.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

As I live not far from Blessed Weather, I echo his report of the current weather - huge amount of rain has left us with minor flooded fields and ground that I haven't seen before or in a very long time. Also thunder overnight but as I used earplugs, I managed to sleep, until aforementioned big thunder happened at near 7 (helpful because I would have overslept otherwise!) Not much more thunder heard, rain continues, very breezy. Unfortunate for chasing 1. because of work 2. because of general weather. I await the summer storms (!) but this year we have been pretty lucky for storms so far in this area.

• Like 1

Posted

I have never seen weather like this for such a long period of time. There is going to be a lot of flooding.

I've got to leave for my 20 minute walk to work now too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Just autumnal here, wet and windy. All to the SW eventually. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Seasonal

Torrential rain, thunder, lightening from 1.30am. Incessant northerly gale. Rain should ease from now on  but temps to stay very depressed until the weekend at the earliest. Drove over to Yarmouth yesterday morning passing queues of cars heading AWAY from the resort. Not sure what this awful weather will be doing for the tourist industry hereabouts....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Quick! Someone build an ark! Been raining heavily non-stop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

In the end it was a decent hour (between 3am and 4am of lots of thunder and lightning as well as a lot of rain). We also got a brief storm around 5am but that was short and not that sharp. Overall though a real surprise, I certainly got lucky.

Now back to the grey grot again now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
31 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I was going to say looking at the radar some people are going to need boats! The interesting bit starts now as some models pep the back edge of the rainband up as it moves West (obviously not good for rainfall totals, but lightning) 

Could be a few issues later.. 

There is some clearer air over N Germany and Holland moving in behind the rain band, might well pep things up as daytime heating takes hold. But so far all a bit of a damp squib with lightning dying out and yet more grey, windy grot. No surprises there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just got heavier again.

Proper snuggles weather, this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

I keep waiting for the rain to stop but it just keeps forming to the east of us.

Looked like it would stop at 8am ish and it wont stop.

Worst rain for a long time outside of thundery showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

rain? what rain?:cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, Dami said:

rain? what rain?:cc_confused:

2 inches of rain already in Wattisham, Suffolk

Torrential for some parts of the SE no doubt its leading to some surface flooding to the road's and railways in some parts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

TO be fair another peak put the window and i've now got some drops falling, otherwise it seems to have been dry here.

Posted

Morning all :)

Here in lowland East London, steady and at times torrential rain since 5am. I don't have a rain gauge but there's been a fair soaking already.

Posted

Certainly not what you would expect for the last day of May.. 16.4mm rain, gusts of up to 35mph, very dark outside and some of the biggest puddles I have seen in awhile.. Luckily it looks like at the top end of all this it wasn't as heavy or long lasting, but still packed a punch. Last of the heavy rain just passing through now, will be heading out for a walk once its past. Will be surprised not to see any flooding on the lanes inbetween the hills behind the house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

My rainfall total for May is now 38mm instead of 6mm, so that's a bit interesting. In the middle of a gutter and drain unblocking session. Sheep look a tad miserable but the dogs aren't bothered, they're soaked after a walk down to the river! 

2 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

The rain started at 03.00 this morning with a very distant rumble of thunder. From then on my slumber was interrupted on and off by either torrential rain lashing against the window or a rumble of thunder. I was finally woken at 06.50 this morning by a massive clap of thunder very nearby. Looking at the Real-time Lightening map, East Anglia seems to have been the favoured area for storm activity this morning. It's gone a bit quiet on the radar this last 30 minutes though.

Still pouring down at the mo and my station has measured 26.4mm since 03.00 - more than an inch of rain. Radar shows the area of rain moving slowly E with the pulses moving SE.

i did not hear any thunder and i was awake for most of that time, either that OR I DOZED OFF AND MISSED IT ALL!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

My god that rain was torrential overnight and this morning, anybody else thinking that the synoptics over the last few weeks look very strange?...continued high pressure to the north all the time, quite surprised we haven't 'locked' into any real heat so far...only a matter of time into June before we do I fancy or maybe a return to something slightly more Atlantic of origin?  Gone are the days of 2 fine days and a thunderstorm/shower!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

I was woken around 4.20 by distant thunder and rain.  Tried to settle down again and there was a close and very loud clap of thunder that jolted me firmly awake.  This continued, sporadically, with bright glows from distant lightning until past 5.00, when the thunder cleared.  My parents reported strong winds earlier in the night, and heavy driving rain after I got back off to sleep, around 6.00.

From that Blitzortung screengrab, it would appear that your area had it worse than us, Malcolm.  Very strange set-up - overnight storms, from the east, after a grey chilly, breezy day yesterday.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Plenty of action here, during the wee small hours. Now though, it's 'dry' misty and very humid...