Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I'm growing water melons but the cool nights and morning are not agreeing with them. Netweather gardening thread has some interesting stuff in it btw    

Great, I'll check that out then. Don't know much about growing watermelons apart from they like even more heat than other types of melon. Fingers crossed that you have success this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
20 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Would have interesting in the middle of Jan with ingrained cold over Europe. :)

However as we know we always say that and it never does happen. :nonono:

Oh well back to last weeks Express for my mega scorhcer bank holiday and hottest spring ever.

Oh dam its summer tomorrow.

I was having similar thoughts seaside.... cold continental air crossing the North Sea and picking up lots of moisture.... heavy snow, strong winds.... we would have been digging ourselves out by Tues lunchtime!! Darn it - right synoptics, wrong time of year...  yet again!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the haar is here and here to stay until goodness knows when. I will be glad to be back in the west of the region where I might see the sun from Thursday onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Rain put back until 6am tomorrow, could be thundery too. Rest of today, sunny and breezy unless you live in Kent and East Anglia where gloom will last the whole day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Met office warning posted in the Convective thread.

Posted
1 minute ago, LimoPreacherman said:

Anyone see the storm crossing the channel toward COLCHESTER

I HOPE IT MAKES IT

That's the north sea, It's quite a way forward from the rest of the lightning. Think our weather is a while away.

1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

That's the north sea, It's quite a way forward from the rest of the lightning. Think our weather is a while away.

the wind is also against us, its pushing the storm down, if the French wind is stronger then it'll make it

Posted

Had a light shower here, with big connective type drops.

Posted

I'd take the Atlantic over this windy cool boring crap any day. 

Posted

Hopefully this low cloud will clear a bit so at least if we don't get a storm here we get to see a light show out to sea later this eve

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, JennyJane1 said:

We appear to be having a bit of a storm over here with gusts of winds, nobody else reporting it.Very chilly.Strange sort of light as well.

Been windy all day here too, suppose to get worse later tonight, along with the heavy rain/storms whatever decides to happen.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Been windy all day here too, suppose to get worse later tonight, along with the heavy rain/storms whatever decides to happen.

Nice. Hope its nothing like the floods reported in France and Germany.I'm walking twenty minutes to the bus in the morning for work and expect to get wet.On the plus side I have made some homemade vegetable soup and have a mug of horlicks.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the surface pressure I can't get if these Thunderstorms across the Channel are part of the warm front or not.. They seem to be part of the band of rain which I thought was the warm front.. Maybe somebody could tell me if I am wrong and it's the cold front or not coming behind causing these major storms..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

Looking at the surface pressure I can't get if these Thunderstorms across the Channel are part of the warm front or not.. They seem to be part of the band of rain which I thought was the warm front.. Maybe somebody could tell me if I am wrong and it's the cold front or not coming behind causing these major storms..

I would say it's the warm front, but there is a complication. By superimposing this evening's lightening activity onto this evening's Met Office Fax Chart, it would appear that the storms are along the line of the warm front, e.g. from the Netherlands up into the North Sea. However, the complication is that there are two troughs in play this evening. One that's straggling along the north European coastline ahead of the cold front with lightening particularly evident on the Baltic Sea coast. The other trough is currently crossing the North Sea - is it that causing the area of storms, or is it the warm front?

Lightening 21.00 Lightening Mon30May 21.00.jpg Met Office Fax Chart for 18.00 Met Off Fax Chart Mon30May 18.00.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
26 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

I would say it's the warm front, but there is a complication. By superimposing this evening's lightening activity onto this evening's Met Office Fax Chart, it would appear that the storms are along the line of the warm front, e.g. from the Netherlands up into the North Sea. However, the complication is that there are two troughs in play this evening. One that's straggling along the north European coastline ahead of the cold front with lightening particularly evident on the Baltic Sea coast. The other trough is currently crossing the North Sea - is it that causing the area of storms, or is it the warm front?

Lightening 21.00 Lightening Mon30May 21.00.jpg Met Office Fax Chart for 18.00 Met Off Fax Chart Mon30May 18.00.jpg

I'd imagine it's the troughs, Malcolm - they're known for sparking-off storms.

• Like 1

Posted

The warm front to whatever is causing the first bit of rain is here.

Posted

I'm in Norwich on  holiday at  the  moment  the  locals are saying to expect a Month of rain  ,looking at the radar they might be right it's in the middle of the north sea at  the moment heading  our  way!,,

Posted
4 hours ago, JennyJane1 said:

We appear to be having a bit of a storm over here with gusts of winds, nobody else reporting it.Very chilly.Strange sort of light as well.

I was in town to.day very windy blowing gale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Blimey watching this front of lightning crossing the sea is painfull . It reminds me of watching Chelsea in the 90s on Ceefax and waiting for the score to tick on.