Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

My prediction for summer 2016 in the SE, stormless and void of anything interesting weatherwise, apart from August the 15th at 3pm.:good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Other than some bits and bobs of thin low cloud scudding briskly south, it's a lovely sunny start and currently 12.7C. Satellite suggests some hours of sunshine to come, before the cloud to the north moves in later today.

Cloud Fri13May 07.30.jpg

So tomorrow will be much cooler. But just how cool? Just for a bit of fun, here are a range of forecasts. Which will prove closer to the mark? Lay your bets please. :)

GFS the most downbeat. 9C to 10C widely for our Region. GFS on Fri Temp Sat14May 15.00.png

NMM largely agrees. 9C to 10C widely for EA & Kent; 11C elsewhere. NMM on Fri Temp Sat14May 16.00.png

Arpege says only Norfolk 9C. 12C to 13C widely. 15C London & SE. Arpege on Fri Temp Sat14May 16.00.png

Met Off the most optimistic. 11C Norfolk coast & 16C London. 20160513_071927_resized.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

I still expect it up to 16c easily on Saturday in London and 14c in the home counties.

Providing the sun comes out for a decent amount of time it will still feel very nice especially in the strong May sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well so far it's still T-shirt weather. Another lovely day, wind is chilier than it has been.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

North Sea Crud incoming!!! :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, lassie23 said:

My prediction for summer 2016 in the SE, stormless and void of anything interesting weatherwise, apart from August the 15th at 3pm.:good:

Cheerful soul today aren't you? Come on, it's Friday :D

Lovely day again here after the early low cloud burnt off. Markedly cooler at 18C but still feels lovely in the sun and out of the breeze.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

North Sea Crud incoming!!! :(

Why the sad face? Its been another lovely day if rather cool at times and Sun still shining here. At least its staying dry over the weekend into Monday and Tuesday.

Posted

It's gone from a lovely day and 18C to grey, chilly and 14C in a stiff northerly wind - all in the space of an hour.

Sat24 cloud cover 15.15 Cloud Fri13May 15.15.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
24 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Why the sad face? Its been another lovely day if rather cool at times and Sun still shining here. At least its staying dry over the weekend into Monday and Tuesday.

I'd imagine because North Sea clag is utterly pointless; cool, gloomy and depressing. Much nicer to have the sun shining even if the airmass is chilly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the wind direction was absolutely perfect for funnelling low cloud from the Wash to my location so as predicted it has been cloudy all day with just a little sunshine during the early afternoon.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
59 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I'd imagine because North Sea clag is utterly pointless; cool, gloomy and depressing. Much nicer to have the sun shining even if the airmass is chilly.

But its much better than having a pointless Atlantic weather system giving heavy rain and strong winds.

North Sea Cloud and Dry weather over that any day..

It would be better to have the Sunshine of course... But this is the UK after all

• Like 1

Posted
On 12 May 2016 at 10:49, Ben Lewis said:

Another outrageous prediction from AccuWeather. Apparently limited heat for the UK..... As with all of these online predictions. 90% worthless be it a negative or positive prediction.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/europe-summer-2016-forecast-heat-to-bypass-uk-stormy-france-to-poland/57179674

I think that is a safer bet with any hot stuff being restricted the latter summer months. An average summer here is absolutely fine, typically punctuated with something hot - accuweather have been fairly accurate on the winter 'predictions' of course mild/cool/wet is always the safe bet, so not many brownie points there..

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

But its much better than having a pointless Atlantic weather system giving heavy rain and strong winds.

North Sea Cloud and Dry weather over that any day..

It would be better to have the Sunshine of course... But this is the UK after all

Have to agree about Atlantic strong winds, I despise them anytime outside of winter. Rain, however, is not pointless and I like it heavy, as long as it isn't too frequent! The last couple of weeks have been delightful Spring weather, some useful rain but also plenty of warm sunshine. North Sea clag just depresses me no end.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Have to agree about Atlantic strong winds, I despise them anytime outside of winter. Rain, however, is not pointless and I like it heavy, as long as it isn't too frequent! The last couple of weeks have been delightful Spring weather, some useful rain but also plenty of warm sunshine. North Sea clag just depresses me no end.

Atlantic rain in May depresses me no end. 

At least with North Sea clag you can still get out and do stuff. 

I have to disagree with useful rain. The ground is still saturated in places from the past 6 months therefore the warm sunshine alone would have been more useful and with the late spring folage there was always going to be rapid Spring growth with or without rain! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
21 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Atlantic rain in May depresses me no end. 

At least with North Sea clag you can still get out and do stuff. 

I have to disagree with useful rain. The ground is still saturated in places from the past 6 months therefore the warm sunshine alone would have been more useful and with the late spring folage there was always going to be rapid Spring growth with or without rain! 

The middle of S UK has had more rain then here, but we have had enough for everything to be nice and green, not looking dry and parched. The ground is hard though not muddy at all. I think looking back though that in between there could be area's that have had less then here and may well look quite dry. It does all depend on where you are. It's clouded over here to now, and got much colder with the cloud. May need jumpers tomorrow unless we get a nice sunny surprise.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
9 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Cheerful soul today aren't you? Come on, it's Friday :D

Lovely day again here after the early low cloud burnt off. Markedly cooler at 18C but still feels lovely in the sun and out of the breeze.

LOL!  Was outdoors most of the evening and night and the trouble has continued to tumble, it feels cold in that wind, if it continues falling, we will be on snow watch.:cold::cold::good:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lassie23 said:

LOL!  Was outdoors most of the evening and night and the trouble has continued to tumble, it feels cold in that wind, if it continues falling, we will be on snow watch.:cold::cold::good:

What? :cc_confused:

It doesn't even look that cold, the temps will certainly feel pleasant away from the coasts and wind

Once the cloud clears today then temps should begin to climb 

Next week looks average and sometimes wet, then the real warmth arrives but long way out.

Edited by Surrey

Posted
49 minutes ago, Surrey said:

What? :cc_confused:

It doesn't even look that cold, the temps will certainly feel pleasant away from the coasts and wind

Once the cloud clears today then temps should begin to climb 

Next week looks average and sometimes wet, then the real warmth arrives but long way out.

I was :drunk-emoji: Had a BBQ and got cold outside in a T-shirt. The trouble:rofl: meant the temperature :fool: Think I saw apple blossom falling off my tree and thought it was snow:nonono::80::D

Posted

Well the Met Off are off to a wobbly start with their entry into in my "temperature challenge" for today (see my post, near top of this page). They've back-peddled on today's max's in the graphics on the telly this morning, dropping the max for London by a whole 2C. :nonono: I'll be looking at the official weather station max's later today and announcing the best performing entrant.

I know, I should get a life! :D

Met Off entry from yesterday 20160513_071927_resized.jpg Today 20160514_082136_resized.jpg

Posted
1 minute ago, Blessed Weather said:

Well the Met Off are off to a wobbly start with their entry into in my "temperature challenge" for today (see my post, near top of this page). They've back-peddled on today's max's in the graphics on the telly this morning, dropping the max for London by a whole 2C. :nonono: I'll be looking at the official weather station max's later today and announcing the best performing entrant.

I know, I should get a life! :D

Met Off entry from yesterday 20160513_071927_resized.jpg Today 20160514_082136_resized.jpg

Do they over estimate last night's temperatures? Left all my newly sprouted plants out:oops:

5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Do they over estimate last night's temperatures? Left all my newly sprouted plants out:oops:

Its hard to predict surface temps when the pattern is like it currently is because geographically location is key, get out of the wind, in the sun and it will fee like a normal may day, if your in the wind and sun is limited it will feel rather cool.

While somewhere on the coast may only be 11-13 inland could be 15-16 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Off to Hever castle today. The weather looks a little better with some sunshine but still a lot of cloud and a chilly wind.

Posted

A better day here than I feared so far. Plenty of sunny spells and more blue sky than infill. Cool breeze but sun feels lovely. Hopefully the cloud will continue to break and melt away.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

A better day here than I feared so far. Plenty of sunny spells and more blue sky than infill. Cool breeze but sun feels lovely. Hopefully the cloud will continue to break and melt away.

Going to rain next week with westerly foul winds:cray: