Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

A mediocre day a few lively showers, one shower it threw it down with cold rain whilst I was heading home on foot, my hands went red and numb - so very untypical for this time of year, I disagree with Surrey but I'll rather not delve. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It is certainly much colder now. Just had some heavy rain, mixed with something icy hitting the windscreen picking up bubs, glad to be home struggled up in my dressing grown awaiting a warming meal.:cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Sleeting here in Godmanchester woo hoo...

On 17/02/2016 at 4:20 PM, Surrey said:

Indeed, I too have had some fantastic snow falls in March and even had some in April! But it is not the time for snow in my eyes.. YES given the winter we have had this year has been VERY poor we would all take a slice of the pie.

But it messes so many things up, crops, insects animals ETC it's really important to get some nice early warmth in spring to get the crops into gear and blossom going :) 

I completely agree

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Absolutely awful evening. Just walked back from my local (woodburner roaring there thankfully) and it felt freezing. Checked the thermometer when I got home and the temp has fallen from 9C at 16.00 to 4.2C at 19.00. The cold front moving down is now over our Region and the radar is showing the precipitation slowly turning more to sleet (green on radar).

Radar Mon25April 19.00.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blessed Weather said:

Absolutely awful evening. Just walked back from my local (woodburner roaring there thankfully) and it felt freezing. Checked the thermometer when I got home and the temp has fallen from 9C at 16.00 to 4.2C at 19.00. The cold front moving down is now over our Region and the radar is showing the precipitation slowly turning more to sleet (green on radar).

just looked out the window to see it snowing :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Blessed Weather said:

Aye Malcolm, twas an 'orrible afternoon. But........we have a chance of waking-up, tomorrow morning, to a thin cover of slushy snow??:shok:

Posted
13 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Aye Malcolm, twas an 'orrible afternoon. But........we have a chance of waking-up, tomorrow morning, to a thin cover of slushy snow??:shok:

Yes, the local Look East forecast on the beeb had the risk of possible overnight snowfall for Norfolk, east Suffolk and east Essex with temps in places down as low as 0C but generally 1C to 2C. Here's the national forecast this evening which suggests more a Norfolk risk. All transitory of course with any thin covering soon gone in the morning. But for late April when we're all dreaming of the warm days to come, I think it's fair to class this as an unwelcome Arctic blast. 

Met Off Tue25April 03.00.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well there is already a frost here as typically the cloud cleared at sunset and we now have clear skies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
3 hours ago, 80sWeather said:

Sleeting here in Godmanchester woo hoo...

sleet here  in heavier burst and nearly May as well

Posted

How could snow possibly be unwelcome M? :D 

Quite exceptional stuff is this cold spell it's all relativity it is knocking onto May for crying out loud. The radar depicts a wintry picture across the United Kingdom more organised bands of ppn falling as snow inland 'impacting' the far north of England, Norfolk is certainly on course for a dusting I find it fascinating myself, I believe a low is tracking southwards down the North Sea strengthening northerly component to the wind, so where you do see snow falling in Norfolk etc, could look like a blizzard! 

image.jpegimage.png

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Daniel* said:

How could snow possibly be unwelcome M? :D 

(Snipped)

Haha! Well said Daniel! :) As you know, I spend 6 months of every year over in the Alps Thread scouring the charts for snowfall, so I’m defo a snow addict! But I also enjoy long, hot summers so at this time of year I increasingly find myself scouring the charts looking for the first proper warm spell of the summer. Bring on the plumes!

Unfortunately little sign of the first real warm spell happening here over the next couple of weeks, so I'll quote the old weather presenter Ian McCaskill who once said to viewers looking for the end of a cold spell at the time, “Meanwhile we’ll play some music…”.

Down to 1C overnight here and after a clear start the shower clouds are now building and whipping along on a blustery wind.

My old hero, Ian McCaskill  :clap:  Ian McCaskill.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Jeez, If only i could share Daniels 'Exceptional cold spell' views...

Nothing exceptional about it, unless you live in Scotland or Eastern England (even for them, im sure local folk would challenge the Exceptional term)

If it were to snow in the SE along with a dusting to an inch that sticks for a day or 2, then I would call it exceptional.

It still feels very pleasant when the sun is out, and apart from 1 frosty morning and a 5 minute hail shower, Temps have still been hitting low double figures down here for crying out loud..

Posted

Well, Ben what happens on the ground so to speak may not be exceptionall but you would really struggle to find such cold advection at this time of year - if you look through the archive, it is pretty damn impressive.

image.png

Posted

I cannot believe I am saying this, but have just seen a brief snow shower here in the city of London !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Foot of the Kent Downs between Ashford & Folkestone & City of London
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (powdery stuff), storms
  • Location: Foot of the Kent Downs between Ashford & Folkestone & City of London

Snow shower :cold:in central London

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Well, Ben what happens on the ground so to speak may not be exceptionall but you would really struggle to find such cold advection at this time of year - if you look through the archive, it is pretty damn impressive.

image.png

I guess so, but it doesn't feel nothing like that chart suggests.. Yes there maybe some pretty bluey colours but it doesn't mirror the actual feel and conditions on the ground.

So your turn exceptional/impressive is correct for that chart at the end of April.. But not in terms of reality and whats happening out of the window.

Soft hail shower just now. Sun back out and feels pleasant

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Some great weather interest today convectively who knows what you going to get showers with a risk of thunder. Just had a light sleet shower

Posted

And another brief snow shower in City of London - only lasted 30 secs this time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Out of control snow/hail shower in Worthing right now.

Its not quite snow, nor hail.

Outrageous for here, only get this kind of thing imported from Putin!