Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Dull and grey here with spits and spots of rain. As if the last 3 days of storms weren't enough, the Met Off are going for further potent thundery showers around this afternoon.

20160415_081819_resized.jpg

Both NMM and Arpege are showing it to be a narrow window of opportunity between early and mid-afternoon and neither show as much 'potential' (energy or lift) as the last few days. My take is that any storms won't be as impressive or last as long as the Canterbury or Suffolk/Norfolk border storms of the last 2 days, but as always, we'll see.

Arpege MUCAPE Arpege MUCAPE Fri15April 13.00.png NMM CAPE & LI NMM CAPE & LI Fri15April 15.00.png NMM Precip NMM Precip Fri15April 15.00.png

P.S. @Surrey I think you'll find @Daniel* was referring to the cold plunge in a weeks time, not this weekend. His chart was dated 24th April. :)

Edited by Blessed Weather

Posted

Yellow warning for many in the S/E.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=se&fcTime=1460674800

Honestly, it's been like watching a storm nursery here the last few days, I wouldn't mind just hearing  a bit of distant thunder.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Yellow warning for many in the S/E.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=se&fcTime=1460674800

Honestly, it's been like watching a storm nursery here the last few days, I wouldn't mind just hearing  a bit of distant thunder.

Think I'll get my shopping done now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

The warning doesn't say BEDFORD.:nonono:

Posted

tell u wot next to the Barbican we have just about everything hail sun torrential rain but no thunder yet

Posted

Clouds above the lower cumulus are changing now here, looks like ac cas i think. Difficult to tell. Think things might kick odd soon though. The wind has picked up too.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

No storms here, just frequent and very heavy showers. Really big, convective type raindrops, no lightning or thunder as yet, no sun since this morning either. All a bit grotty to be honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
2 hours ago, Dami said:

The warning doesn't say BEDFORD.:nonono:

Surely thats a good thing....?

''Heavy, POSSIBLY thundery, showers or some longer spells of rain are expected to become more widespread through today, particularly this afternoon and early evening''

I wish Hertfordshire, wasn't in the warning.. Longer spells of rain and a slim chance of thunder does nothing for me im afraid.... I get much more excited when Sun and blue sky is forecast.

Posted
1 minute ago, fulham snow said:

Does make you laugh.

Weather warnings and the sun has just come out.

It is just a normal slightly wet day

Thats the trouble when you get METO issuing warnings for a bog standard rain fest. Folk expect an Armageddon!

Its the UK - It rains all the time - its a soaking wet country. We may not be able to deal with snow but we are pretty well practiced for rain! Never get what all the fuss is about every time a bit of thunder and heavy rain is forecast. To members of the public is just a standard wet day... 

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Thats the trouble when you get METO issuing warnings for a bog standard rain fest. Folk expect an Armageddon!

Its the UK - It rains all the time - its a soaking wet country. We may not be able to deal with snow but we are pretty well practiced for rain! Never get what all the fuss is about every time a bit of thunder and heavy rain is forecast. To members of the public is just a standard wet day... 

17 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

As long as it is dry for this evening game that's all I care about as last time got soaked

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Rainy here today, some of it light, and some of it very heavy. BUT NO THUNDER! Very disappointing few days for me so far...

Posted

Getting frequent moderate to heavyish showers now. Still nothing very heavy, or thundery which is actually a good thing, quite busy with getting kids to clubs and stuff Friday evening's.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Make the most of the thundery activity. The model output at present is hideous!! In fact hideous an understatement! 

Hopefully we'll get this nuisance cold out of the way before summer kicks in. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

The last two days forecasts have been spot on about thunder but today's forecast was naff. Only a few sferics dotted around the SE today with just a couple of heavy bursts of rain! Nice storm over Berlin currently though. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Make the most of the thundery activity. The model output at present is hideous!! In fact hideous an understatement! 

Hopefully we'll get this nuisance cold out of the way before summer kicks in. 

If it's searing heat/ severe thunderstorms and constant rain you want then it's hideous. 

But if it's dry/fair/ not to cold / not to warm - and not over expecting any kind of extreme weather, then the model output is perfectly acceptable. 

In the reliable things are set to dry out from Tomorrow afternoon with some nice useful DRY weather next week. 

Anything past a week is LA LA land so I wouldn't get to depressed just yet! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Enjoy!! One of the best night time storms this year so far -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfppQlR8YDc

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, Mesoscale said:

The last two days forecasts have been spot on about thunder but today's forecast was naff. Only a few sferics dotted around the SE today with just a couple of heavy bursts of rain! Nice storm over Berlin currently though. 

Hi Mesoscale.  I do agree. This morning I thought the Met Off forecast for storms today was a little OTT. If you watched their graphics on the Beeb this morning (see my post) and listened to the presenter, it suggested storms of similar intensity to the last few days. But when I checked the high res models they didn't support this forecast, so this morning I posted:

"Both NMM and Arpege are showing it to be a narrow window of opportunity between early and mid-afternoon and neither show as much 'potential' (energy or lift) as the last few days. My take is that any storms won't be as impressive or last as long as the Canterbury or Suffolk/Norfolk border storms of the last 2 days, but as always, we'll see."

And the publicly available high res models were much closer to the mark. Just a few rumbles and flashes early afternoon - exactly where & when Arpege & NMM predicted.  Maybe after watching this morning's TV forecasts, people were further confused by the Met Off yellow warnings today, thinking they suggested storms, when it was actually about rainfall amounts. Hey ho! As is often said on these forums, the Met Off have a difficult balancing act to follow and it's better to be safe than sorry. Anyway, I think it's been an entertaining few days! Better than boring nothingness if you're a weather geek like me! :D

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

If it's searing heat/ severe thunderstorms and constant rain you want then it's hideous. 

But if it's dry/fair/ not to cold / not to warm - and not over expecting any kind of extreme weather, then the model output is perfectly acceptable. 

In the reliable things are set to dry out from Tomorrow afternoon with some nice useful DRY weather next week. 

Anything past a week is LA LA land so I wouldn't get to depressed just yet! 

I personally don't start looking for notable heat and thunderstorms until it's properly Summer anyway (June onwards). Otherwise I would describe the current weather and model output as normal weather for April.