Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Blimey that was a shock.

BIg flash of lightning and ker boom thunder.

Didnt expect that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Impressive line of storms stretching from Cantebury to Chelmsford. The crosses on the Netweather Radar testiment to the activity along the line as it's moved north. I posted this morning that Arpege was suggesting some thundery rain over our patch with some unstable air off our coast, whilst NMM said 'no' for us with activity and instability to the west. Looking like Arpege was closer to the mark. It also won the storm Katie forecasts too.

19.45 Radar Radar Sun 03April 19.45.jpg

Posted
3 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Impressive line of storms stretching from Cantebury to Chelmsford. The crosses on the Netweather Radar testiment to the activity along the line as it's moved north. I posted this morning that Arpege was suggesting some thundery rain over our patch with some unstable air off our coast, whilst NMM said 'no' for us with activity and instability to the west. Looking like Arpege was closer to the mark. It also won the storm Katie forecasts too.

the  stuff  over Essex is  looking  at  bit tasty  for  us  if   my  rain alarm pro  right!!!

Posted

Have to say I witnessed the clearest ctg lightening for a while tonite. S o clear and it was awesome 

Posted
55 minutes ago, MP-R said:

The difference being this time that there isn't much warm air to tap into from Spain. In fact Madrid hovered around 11-12C today with westerly winds. I think this is warmth more from a southeasterly direction.

Apparently, the immediate origin is Libya, so your southeasterly is correct. Don't tell the Daily Express, though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

Apparently, the immediate origin is Libya, so your southeasterly is correct. Don't tell the Daily Express, though.

Or, for that matter, the Daily Mail!:shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
21 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Could it be that the ARPEGE is more accurate when considering summer synoptics than winter ones?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Woo hoo heavy rain here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Just rain dot com

for about a minute

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Wow lost track of the amount of flashes within about 5 mins or less, really going for it here.

• Like 1

Posted

Radar saying   line of  very heavy rain from Kent to essex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

started to rain again no flashes bangs or wallops

Posted
  • Location: Foot of the Kent Downs between Ashford & Folkestone & City of London
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (powdery stuff), storms
  • Location: Foot of the Kent Downs between Ashford & Folkestone & City of London

The rain seems to have bypassed me. Impressive fireworks though - watching from my patio with a glass of wine :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Some awesome fork lightning earlier. I did think it felt unusually humid earlier, but didn't check in here to see if anything was going to happen. Pleasantly surprised, even if it was short but sweet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
21 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Could it be that the ARPEGE is more accurate when considering summer synoptics than winter ones?

Interesting thought @chrisbell-nottheweatherman. What I do know is that Meteo-France are behind the Arpege and are also, along with the UK Met Office, the main drivers behind the ECM. And Meteo-France have a huge and varied country they have to provide weather forecasts for, so have to cope with a wide range of weather (and by heck, do France have thunderstorms!!). I believe NMM is developed by NCEP (USA)? Anyway, no axe to grind either way; just like to check 'em all and pass comment about which gave us the best forecast! :)

But I do have to admit, I'm a little impressed with Arpege tonight, because as it suggested this morning, the most unstable conditions are indeed slipping up the east coast!

Lightening detector 21.10  Lightening 21.10.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Just now, Blessed Weather said:

Interesting thought @chrisbell-nottheweatherman. What I do know is that Meteo-France are behind the Arpege and are also, along with the UK Met Office, the main drivers behind the ECM. And Meteo-France have a huge and varied country they have to provide weather forecasts for, so have to cope with a wide range of weather (and by heck, do France have thunderstorms!!). I believe NMM is developed by NCEP (USA)? Anyway, no axe to grind either way; just like to check 'em all and pass comment about which gave us the best forecast! :)

But I do have to admit, I'm a little impressed with Arpege tonight, because as it suggested this morning, the most unstable conditions are indeed slipping up the east coast!

Lightening detector 21.10  Lightening 21.10.jpg

AFAIK, NMM is indeed an NCEP short-range model.  As regards this evening, ARPEGE seems to be verifying in almost every detail.

• Like 1

Posted

It's been thundering here for almost an hour, the lighting has been spectacular and the bolts have  quite a deep blue tint to them!

Torrential rain also, very unexpected but welcome nonetheless!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Oh WOW what a storm and completely taken by surprise! IT was flashing off to my north west but just the odd sporadic flash to my south, upon checking the radar it looked to have split into two and was going away. By about 30mins later the torrents opened and big bolts of lightning and window shaking booms! The type of storm you'd get in the summer months:)

Clipboard01.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Well, first storm of the year, albeit from a distance, it didn't quite reach here but never mind. Some big flashes to the south-east, and long distant rumbles. Did see one nice bit of fork lightning but then... just rain, and judging by the radar, fizzling out over land, and picking up over the sea a little.

Posted

Superb and rather unexpected storm here, been rumbling around for an hour with some very close strikes. Just when I think it's calming down, the rain picks up as does the lightning.