Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Well, that is entirely dependant on the late Feb sun, under cloud cover temps will struggle. In mid winter days would have been much colder say no higher than 2C for most this weekend. Unfortunate.

Some pics from this morning :) 

image.thumb.jpeg.dd456095c88da3110ccd355image.thumb.jpeg.afdac0fdc4a9d5c238669dd

Edit: @Surrey you have to be optimistic or you would go mad :D

Keep your hair on..well I just illustrated where the risk comes from clearly the threat would come later in the day, I trust the MetO over you! :wink: 

I think it's the other way round, being optimistic makes you go mad. 

Lower your expectations. Meto say an odd wintry shower possible over weekend.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I think we can now well and truly say that WINTER IS OVER! I said it back in November and got a right ticking off.:reindeer-emoji::ninja:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So this winter;

It hasn't delivered what many would have hoped, though of course it was very clear that the winter would be at best back loaded for cold (nothing of sorts until mid-January). In the end we have seen 3 potential cold set ups that had a realistic chance of delivering for us. In the end it hasn't resulted in much of note for our region, just like last winter.

On thing I will say is that there is nothing wrong about posting cold charts at the 4-7 day range, just because they haven't materialised this winter doesn't mean that they won't next winter or so on. In fact back in 2012/13 we saw cold spells verifying from around a week out with delicate set ups resolved very well at around day 5 (Thinking of the UKMOs performance during the January cold spell). 

I have enjoyed trying to pick out some cold prospects with some stunning output in a range which you would feel would have a good chance of getting close to verifying. Unfortunately a series of very strong and conflicting signals have hampered the model output this winter with anything other than zonal westerlies being difficult to pick up and as such meant some very disappointing results at the business end of these colder periods.

In the end I have enjoyed some of the fun and games of the chase this winter even if the results have been poor. One thing I will say it is fine to be positive and ramp a little, especially if the output is within 7 days or so, it is also fine to be more reserved but that doesn't mean that every cold spell should descend into a fight between the two groups. Maybe I need to learn more banter perhaps :p

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
6 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

So this winter;

It hasn't delivered what many would have hoped, though of course it was very clear that the winter would be at best back loaded for cold (nothing of sorts until mid-January). In the end we have seen 3 potential cold set ups that had a realistic chance of delivering for us. In the end it hasn't resulted in much of note for our region, just like last winter.

On thing I will say is that there is nothing wrong about posting cold charts at the 4-7 day range, just because they haven't materialised this winter doesn't mean that they won't next winter or so on. In fact back in 2012/13 we saw cold spells verifying from around a week out with delicate set ups resolved very well at around day 5 (Thinking of the UKMOs performance during the January cold spell). 

I have enjoyed trying to pick out some cold prospects with some stunning output in a range which you would feel would have a good chance of getting close to verifying. Unfortunately a series of very strong and conflicting signals have hampered the model output this winter with anything other than zonal westerlies being difficult to pick up and as such meant some very disappointing results at the business end of these colder periods.

In the end I have enjoyed some of the fun and games of the chase this winter even if the results have been poor. One thing I will say it is fine to be positive and ramp a little, especially if the output is within 7 days or so, it is also fine to be more reserved but that doesn't mean that every cold spell should descend into a fight between the two groups. Maybe I need to learn more banter perhaps :p

Great post although I admire your enjoyment of 'chase' for an event that never happened the whole winter. 

Im exhausted thinking about it if that's what 2016/17 has in store. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

a few posts pruned in the interests of keeping the peace...........As we all know, the weather can bring out the best and occasionally the worst in all us weather enthusiasts, and indeed, debate is a focal point of all forums regardless of the topic.

I would though respectfully ask for all to keep debate friendly and 'to the point'.....personal comments, whether deliberate or not often lead to post exchanges that detract from the otherwise good natured chat in the thread.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

I think we can now well and truly say that WINTER IS OVER! I said it back in November and got a right ticking off.:reindeer-emoji::ninja:

Winter never started :p In fact winter has been so bad, I never got told off once in the model section, which for me, is rather rare :p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Spring is the new winter, just you wait and see. :yahoo::yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
On 23/02/2016 at 0:45 AM, Kent Blizzard said:

Come to puppa ;) 

I Just sent that to the BBC Weather Twitter account, let's see if they defend themselves over this one ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Wonder what's causing the constant precipitation developing over Calais .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
18 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Wonder what's causing the constant precipitation developing over Calais .

There seems to be a convergence of the wind flow so that the NW'ly swings into a NE'ly off the SE coast of the UK and funnels towards Calais area. It's maybe the Calais equivalent of the Kent or Thames streamer when the wind is in that direction. I think the impressive thing is that the Arpege High Res model has very accurately picked up on this happening! Hats off to it!  :hi:

Arpege precip for 21.00 local this evening: 56ce285f5da03_ArpegeFrancePrecipWed24Feb  Wind direction: 56ce287a85b48_ArpegeFranceWindWed24Feb22

Edited by Blessed Weather
typo
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
3 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

There seems to be a convergence of the wind flow so that the NW'ly swings into a NE'ly off the SE coast of the UK and funnels towards Calais area. It's maybe the Calais equivalent of the Kent or Thames streamer when the wind is in that direction. I think the impressive thing is that the Arpege High Res model has very accurately picked up on this happening! Hats off to it!  :hi:

Arpege precip for 21.00 local this evening: 56ce285f5da03_ArpegeFrancePrecipWed24Feb  Wind direction: 56ce287a85b48_ArpegeFranceWindWed24Feb22

Thanks for a brilliant explanation blessed weather . Thanks

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

EC, GFS and UKMO bring a line of precip north across southern counties on Friday, UKMet fax chart for 12z Friday picks out a trough. Partial thickness look OK for snow though dew points look a little too marginal around the band of precip on GFS

image.thumb.png.84eb5a8d1fbbf0ec5a14631cimage.thumb.jpeg.e1f3ac0877416ac708b1ba1

Before then, will any of those wintry showers across northern England make it down here by the end of the night?

Posted

Expertly said by Malcolm :good: 

Well the showers feeding into the wash were not caught by high res a dusting or so.

Brrr it's blooming cold out there ppn please?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Well the showers feeding into the wash were not caught by high res a dusting or so.

The trusty NetWx had them! :cold:

2016-02-24.thumb.png.735449dc4a428ad38fd

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

So whats the southern extent expected of those wintry showers north of our region i notice Hertfordshire have a yellow warning for light snow showers/ice, could it be there?

Edited by Kentspur

Posted

I woke up absoloutely parched I thought why not check the radar.

No surprise why the gritters are out as it is bone dry.

A fair few of us waking up to a dusting/light covering if you're early enough. 

image.thumb.png.f5e5dfa712186306564674bc