Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gray-Wolf

World War III. Has the Turkish shelling of Kurdish forces in Syria ignited the touch paper?

I have been watching the events in the Levant with growing trepidation since the downing of the Russian Jet last year.

As of today ( I understand) the Arab coalition currently have 350,000 troops on Syria's southern border, along with an alleged 20,000 tanks and 4250 'warplanes' ?, for 'war games' but the Saudi's have also deployed strike aircraft to a Turkish air base ( along with support troops). Their foreign minister has declared that an invasion into Syria is " imminent" and that they can not stop the action. The Syrians say any invading forces will leave in a coffin. The Russians have declared that any invasion of territory will be viewed as an act of war.

Meanwhile we talk of a ceasefire.

Yesterday , with the help of U.S. air support, Kurdish forces closed the 60 mile breach in the Syrian/Turkish border where arms and oil were being smuggled out and into Syria via turkey.  

An hour ago shelling from Turkey was reported by the Kurdish forces.

How will Syria/Russia react to this attack of their lands from across the turkish border?

We all know that Russia has tactical Nukes on the ground in Syria ( and aboard ships/subs in the med/Black Sea ) and that , as a nation, it believes in their use as a military weapon.

Should the Saudi's flood across the Southern border what do you think the Russian response will be?

Why has Nato deployed so many troops in Eastern Europe over the past few weeks?

Looking like it. The American renewal of the cold war isn't helping and even more alarming the West will be selling arms to Saudi who helped create ISIS in the first place. 

Perhaps Assad ought to resign the pipeline deal with the Saudi's which will make him the good guy with them again but upset Iran and Russia

16 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Looking like it. The American renewal of the cold war isn't helping and even more alarming the West will be selling arms to Saudi who helped create ISIS in the first place. 

Perhaps Assad ought to resign the pipeline deal with the Saudi's which will make him the good guy with them again but upset Iran and Russia

Your evidence that Saudi Arabia helped create ISIS? And one shouldn't leave Iran out of the equation as they have been promoting terrorism in the ME for years. And the wicked west selling arms to the Saudis whilst watching Russia bomb the hell out of hundreds of thousands of Syrians.

If, and I'm far from certain, ISIS is in any way an offshoot of Al-Qaeda, then surely, both the UK and the US governments are also complicit in ISIS's evolution?:cc_confused:

World war 3 started years ago in my view, it is also what the gov is really saving money for. Around the time of the second Iraq war, things really started in the back ground. It's just getting more noticeable to the masses now.

Turkish Prime Minister Davutoglu says that recent developments in Syria threaten Turkey's national security.

According to reports from AFP.... as well as hitting Kurdish targets in Syria tonight the Turks are also targetting the Syrian Army.

9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

If, and I'm far from certain, ISIS is in any way an offshoot of Al-Qaeda, then surely, both the UK and the US governments are also complicit in ISIS's evolution?:cc_confused:

Not really correct. ISIS, as it is now known, originated in the late 1990s under a Jordanian jihardist called Abu Mus'ab al-Zarqawi. Surprisingly al- Qaeda and Zarqawi were destined to fall out from the start as he was considered too hotheaded. Cutting a long story short he was killed by the US, along with his buddies, in 2006. and then came the second coming. The al-Queda front group insisted that Muslims in Iraq pledge allegiance to a certain Abu Umar al_Baghdadi and acknowledge him as "commander of the faithful". Thus the Islamic State was proclaimed on October 15th, 2006.

Al Arabiya EnglishVerified account‏@AlArabiya_Eng

#BREAKING U.S. asks Turkey to stop the bombing of the Kurds and the forces of the regime in Syria

AFP news agency ‏@AFP  29s30 seconds ago

#UPDATE US urges Turkey to halt Syria strikes http://u.afp.com/Zenq

Washington (AFP) - The United States pressed Turkey on Saturday to halt military strikes on Kurdish and Syrian regime targets Saturday in the northern province of Aleppo, as Ankara weighs a joint ground assault with Saudi troops.

"We are concerned about the situation north of Aleppo and are working to de-escalate tensions on all sides," State Department spokesman John Kirby said in a statement.

3 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I have been watching the events in the Levant with growing trepidation since the downing of the Russian Jet last year.

As of today ( I understand) the Arab coalition currently have 350,000 troops on Syria's southern border, along with an alleged 20,000 tanks and 4250 'warplanes' ?, for 'war games' but the Saudi's have also deployed strike aircraft to a Turkish air base ( along with support troops). Their foreign minister has declared that an invasion into Syria is " imminent" and that they can not stop the action. The Syrians say any invading forces will leave in a coffin. The Russians have declared that any invasion of territory will be viewed as an act of war.

Meanwhile we talk of a ceasefire.

Yesterday , with the help of U.S. air support, Kurdish forces closed the 60 mile breach in the Syrian/Turkish border where arms and oil were being smuggled out and into Syria via turkey.  

An hour ago shelling from Turkey was reported by the Kurdish forces.

How will Syria/Russia react to this attack of their lands from across the turkish border?

We all know that Russia has tactical Nukes on the ground in Syria ( and aboard ships/subs in the med/Black Sea ) and that , as a nation, it believes in their use as a military weapon.

Should the Saudi's flood across the Southern border what do you think the Russian response will be?

Why has Nato deployed so many troops in Eastern Europe over the past few weeks?

WW3, No, don't be daft.

With Syrian forces now claiming being attacked across the border how can you be so assured?

The NATO alliance will not allow Turkey across the border but will that stop such an insurgence? What if Russian/Iranian special forces are already taking out the gun crews leading the shelling/mortar assault?

How would turkey respond to cross border provocation?

What do you take from Saudis latest comments on ground force deployment 'against isis/daesh?

350,000 ground troops ( and logistics support) 20,000 tanks and 2450 'warplanes' in the theatre just south of the Southern Syria border........

And what of the turkish leaders latest outburst against U.S. recognition of Kurds?

8 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

With Syrian forces now claiming being attacked across the border how can you be so assured?

The NATO alliance will not allow Turkey across the border but will that stop such an insurgence? What if Russian/Iranian special forces are already taking out the gun crews leading the shelling/mortar assault?

What do you take from Saudis latest comments on ground force deployment 'against isis/daesh?

350,000 ground troops ( and logistics support) 20,000 tanks and 2450 'warplanes' in the theatre just south of the Southern Syria border........

And what of the turkish leaders latest outburst against U.S. recognition of Kurds?

M.A.D..................

35 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

If turkey attacks their NATO membership is past its expiry date.. As NATO members can only come to the defense of a NATO nation's under attack... If their instigated the Attack.. I.e invaded someone then got their weeble kicked.. I dont think it can be instigated... People would reject that anyways and governments would be over thrown if their tried to come to turkeys aide 

28 minutes ago, lfcdude said:

If turkey attacks their NATO membership is past its expiry date.. As NATO members can only come to the defense of a NATO nation's under attack... If their instigated the Attack.. I.e invaded someone then got their weeble kicked.. I dont think it can be instigated... People would reject that anyways and governments would be over thrown if their tried to come to turkeys aide 

That's exactly what I thought would happen after the Russian plane. However they only condemned that in private. In public they didn't support them as such, but they didn't really act too upset by it either, and Cameron was one of the ones who decided to seem like we will support them. I'm not 100% sure this will be any different. Turkey has the bosphorus strait, and everyone wants access.

56 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Where on earth does that info come from?

If anyone thinks Russia would start WW3 over Syria they need to see a psychiatrist 

Complete and utter nonsense. 

12 minutes ago, knocker said:

Where on earth does that info come from?

Exactly. 

A load of nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Saudi Arabia can muster 1,210 tanks and Turkey 3,778. 

Saudi Arabia have 722 military aircraft and Turkey 1007 (all types incl helicopters and transports)

Neither country would have anywhere near these numbers on the Syrian border.

....as an aside I see that the inventor of Grad missiles died yesterday ....his weapons are as popular as ever in Syria! and no doubt there'll be a good turn out for his funeral.  http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/56bf53439a7947ce27e7d9f2

1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

If anyone thinks Russia would start WW3 over Syria they need to see a psychiatrist 

I don't think Russia is the problem Per se, Turkey tested their position and now it seems have decided they can do what they want with no consequences. Which is not true, but I don't expect them to stop just cause they are told to. So the whole demographic in that conflict is changing, and not in a good way.

Syria is the biggest proxy war mind duck what ever anyone wants to call it.. If we go war... People will protest especially with a war with Russia because Turks Saudis think their can do what their want As i said before i dont think that will happen i dont believe their will be a world war.. As i fully expect the people to stop this, Social media, People r not so different where ever in world their r from all connected all can talk this is not 1914 anymore 

10 minutes ago, lfcdude said:

Syria is the biggest proxy war mind duck what ever anyone wants to call it.. If we go war... People will protest especially with a war with Russia because Turks Saudis think their can do what their want As i said before i dont think that will happen i dont believe their will be a world war.. As i fully expect the people to stop this, Social media, People r not so different where ever in world their r from all connected all can talk this is not 1914 anymore 

Be that as it may, if they were listening to us the people, most of the conflicts in the last 30 years would never have happened.

1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Be that as it may, if they were listening to us the people, most of the conflicts in the last 30 years would never have happened.

A war with a nuclear nation.. Not some war we can win easily.... Might  make a bit of a difference 

3 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Yes Russia wouldn't start it, but Saudi and Turkey certainly would.After all, Wiki leaks revealed that Saudi Arabia wants to topple Assad because he would "want revenge after what Saudi did to him".

Interesting that some say the Turks and Saudis think they can do what they want and yet there are very few comments concerning the small matter that Russia actually just does what it wants. (everyone forgotten Ukraine?)  Playing a major role in helping a genocidal psychopath murder 300,000 people and displace 14m others seems of little interest.

Russia has played the major role in the carnage and destruction of Syria and the reason why we are where we are. That and of course the complete ineptitude of the west.

In any case, as has already been said, talk of WW111 is complete nonsense and this is basically the Middle East thread under another name. A NW forte.

10 hours ago, knocker said:

Not really correct. ISIS, as it is now known, originated in the late 1990s under a Jordanian jihardist called Abu Mus'ab al-Zarqawi. Surprisingly al- Qaeda and Zarqawi were destined to fall out from the start as he was considered too hotheaded. Cutting a long story short he was killed by the US, along with his buddies, in 2006. and then came the second coming. The al-Queda front group insisted that Muslims in Iraq pledge allegiance to a certain Abu Umar al_Baghdadi and acknowledge him as "commander of the faithful". Thus the Islamic State was proclaimed on October 15th, 2006.

If I may add a little to this which i typed in rather a hurry, never a good idea.

The rise of ISIS in Iraq post 2006 was facilitated in no small measure by the treatment of the Sunnis by the Shia orientated government which was installed by the Americans. This led to unrest and eventually civil war with many Sunnis from the tribes joining ISIS. The alternative of losing there head also tended to concentrate their mind. So eventually they had a very strong base.

And then came the Syrian civil war. It gave them the opportunity to slip seamlessly across the border, particularly as they were invited to do so by Assad to help him fight the rebels, (at the same time he released hundreds of jihadists from prison for the same reason) and so they quickly had another stronghold and an extended caliphate. Probably explains why Assad and the Russians aren't particularly bothered about them at the moment.

• Warm run-up to Easter but a destabilising low means sunshine and showers at the weekend

High pressure is keeping our weather settled at the moment, and in the main it'll stay that way until the end of the week. But with low pressure helping to destabilise the atmosphere this weekend, the sunshine will be joined by some heavy showers. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners - Blog by Jenny Bell WWW.NETWEATHER.TV In the first in a regular series of gardening articles, Jenny Bell gives her top tips for new gardeners who are maybe taking their first gardening steps during the lockdown.  

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather