First Direct Detection of Gravitational Waves to be Announced

Yarmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Confirmed now. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35524440

This is a hugely significant discovery. Nobel prizes will follow.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 hour ago, Yarmy said:

Confirmed now. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35524440

This is a hugely significant discovery. Nobel prizes will follow.

I go for the opposite, it would hugely significant if gravity waves had not been discovered. It would have meant all the theoretical physics books being torn up and shredded....The existence of gravity waves ties in with string theory as well as eternal inflation & ekpyrotic theories of the universe's existence and timeline. The big excitement me for in the 'confirmation' is that scientists can now design the successor to LIGO with a view to spotting very faint gravity waves which could've eminated from the collision of our universe and a parallel universe in the distant past 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

One things for sure, Linde and Guth have just pee'd all over Turok's  christmas pudding!  training1.gif

oh I don't know....Turok and Steinhardt developed the ekpyrotic theory....today's results are consistent with their theory......the difference in their particular cyclic model is that if grav waves are detected in the cosmic background radiation, that will mean discounting the ekpyrotic theory.....as it currently stands, the announcement of gravity wave detection is the discovery of 2 merging black holes, not the detection of grav waves in CMB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

oh I don't know....Turok and Steinhardt developed the ekpyrotic theory....today's results are consistent with their theory......the difference in their particular cyclic model is that if grav waves are detected in the cosmic background radiation, that will mean discounting the ekpyrotic theory.....as it currently stands, the announcement of gravity wave detection is the discovery of 2 merging black holes, not the detection of grav waves in CMB

But today's announcement further backs the  evidence that was found two years ago: http://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/march/physics-cosmic-inflation-031714.html 

Turok has never liked the GW idea, because it doesn't fit in with his 'Brane' ideas. A gravitational wave is a gravitation wave, whatever collision it came from. Very exciting times!

Posted

I thought the b-mode detections were discredited?....almost certain of this

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Yes great there is a new discovery but does it require headline presentation on the national news? Many must be interested in the here and now. Can they have the operation they need, see a doctor etc. etc. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Yes great there is a new discovery but does it require headline presentation on the national news? Many must be interested in the here and now. Can they have the operation they need, see a doctor etc. etc. 

Well you have to take things into perspective, IMO - is the detection of gravity waves more newsworthy than David Beckham's son's latest photo-shoot, or Kim Kardashian's latest bum-pic? I know what I find more important!:D

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Well you have to take things into perspective, IMO - is the detection of gravity waves more newsworthy than David Beckham's son's latest photo-shoot, or Kim Kardashian's latest bum-pic? I know what I find more important!:D

Rather misses the point I am afraid. Who was talking about transient celebrities?

My brother, who has advanced cancer, was not encouraged by not seeing his doctor today. More important?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Rather misses the point I am afraid. Who was talking about transient celebrities?

My brother, who has advanced cancer, was not encouraged by not seeing his doctor today. More important?

I am truly sorry to hear that, Snipper - my bast wishes to your brother. But, in a way, we are both singing from the same hymn-sheet: whoever it is, that decides what's newsworthy is clearly missing something...

Posted

Probably one for the general astronomy/cosmology thread, but thought as there's some talk about gravitational waves and LIGO would link it here for anyone who's interested.  Another interesting ASU Origins discussion, this time on Einstein's legacy, with Frank Wilczek and Kip Thorne.  This discussion having taken place before the confirmation of the detection of GWs, though there had been rumors about the finding months in advance.