Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Imogen

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
11 minutes ago, cobbett said:

The amber warnings should never have included some central southern counties - breezy and thats it. Can tell it's a non event here (southampton) as haven't heard one person in the office talking about it

for a non-event its left over 2379 ppl without power in the west midlands, 8241 in the south west and 3585 according to Western Power distribution.. (granted not all maybe due to the weather, but l expect many of those without power are due to the windy weather.. even if its not been that windy in your area..

after all, land isnt flat and there are many obstacles.. ld believe there are lots of factors that shelter some areas over others (tho thats my personal opinion, tho l dont have any knowledge to base that upon, lm here just because lm interested in knowing the potential of bad weather ahead of time).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Hi res NetWx-SR gusts charts for this afternoon, peak for the next few hours with gusts of 50-60mph before the winds moderate towards late afternoon.

netw7.thumb.png.96f322a08c5942ccec93d1ecnetw8.thumb.png.be89bfa1bc1ce15f4deb1853netw9.thumb.png.8a2edaf1d8e22f9b1bab30b9

Posted

So far I think the met office have it spot on. I'm a little further north than the amber warning area, but so far the gusts seem to be on a par with Saturday's which also had us a yellow warning. Timing of peak gusts might be a little later than predicted, but if we haven't noticed by then that the weather doesn't come with a script, we'd probably be a lot less intrested in it.

Just recorded 53 mph as a shower moved through

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The problem is you will always get folks with a "bash a forecaster" mentality, no matter how close to the mark the forecasts were! Every single thread of every single event on this forum will have some posts bemoaning that there wasn't widespread devastation or whatnot. 

So far so good with the forecasts generally, and we are now entering the peak period of winds.

• Like 9

Posted
30 minutes ago, cobbett said:

The amber warnings should never have included some central southern counties - breezy and thats it. Can tell it's a non event here (southampton) as haven't heard one person in the office talking about it

Since modelling the precise path of a storm is quite difficult, probably best to err on the side of caution and warn a bit on either side of expected corridor.

We have no weather warning this far south but wind gusts have still managed to fell a tree over the road and knock out the electricity. Always best to be over-warned rather than people facing life threatening weather unexpectedly.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The problem is you will always get folks with a "bash a forecaster" mentality, no matter how close to the mark the forecasts were! Every single thread of every single event on this forum will have some posts bemoaning that there wasn't widespread devastation or whatnot. 

So far so good with the forecasts generally, and we are now entering the peak period of winds.

Even with now casting tracking a storm is notoriously difficult. To nail it precisely to within 200m and 5 minutes would still upset some people. Im old enough to have lived through 1987's storm and I'd be more than happy to never experience the event again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Centre of Imogen now sitting between Scotland and Norway with the tighter gradient moving across Southern England for the next few hours or so.

imo6.thumb.gif.2c6c6061c726904e596ad76c5

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, timeless said:

for a non-event its left over 2379 ppl without power in the west midlands, 8241 in the south west and 3585 according to Western Power distribution.. (granted not all maybe due to the weather, but l expect many of those without power are due to the windy weather.. even if its not been that windy in your area..

after all, land isnt flat and there are many obstacles.. ld believe there are lots of factors that shelter some areas over others (tho thats my personal opinion, tho l dont have any knowledge to base that upon, lm here just because lm interested in knowing the potential of bad weather ahead of time).

I was never 'bashing' the metoffice - I was merely commenting on that its a non-event event here. Fair enough they have to be careful and err on the side of caution and I accept that. Not sure that quoting stats as you do backs up your argument though. 8241 for the SW equates to about 0.1of the SW population so not exactly eventful in my eyes but thats just IMHO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Fog, Thunderstorms

Two planes seem to be finding landing very difficult at Southampton right now:

BEE3RC.thumb.JPG.79ec761abae7aa31d485367EZE72Y.thumb.JPG.ec8cc90f3a6ff2a2b4dc491

Just a windy day so far here in Coventry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
25 minutes ago, cobbett said:

I was never 'bashing' the metoffice - I was merely commenting on that its a non-event event here. Fair enough they have to be careful and err on the side of caution and I accept that. Not sure that quoting stats as you do backs up your argument though. 8241 for the SW equates to about 0.1of the SW population so not exactly eventful in my eyes but thats just IMHO

be that as it may, compared to the usual daily power cuts there are significantly more today than usual.

• Like 1

Posted

Thing is warnings have a function that sit outside of just warning us weather geeks that the weather is going to be 'out of the ordinary'. In addition to warning the public they also set off protocols within the emergency services & responders. Therefore the area being warned may be larger because of the potential to disrupt needs to be planned for and without an official warning those resources will not be in place.

• Like 6

Posted
34 minutes ago, cobbett said:

Most storms that hit us don't effect everyone; and often don't cause much (if any) notable damage inland, so I'm not quite sure what you were expecting?

its really gusting here now later than was expected so you may yet be affected in Sussex...

• Like 1

Posted

Just had a 10 minute power cut here in Southend. This consequently lead to me spending 40 minutes in boots trying to buy som baby formula because it buggered their tills. Brilliant.

Wind is off and on here. Gales at times then reasonably calm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

What a lively night that was! here some screen captures from mine and my friends local forecasting page from last night

Stormy 2.jpg

Stormy 3.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

guys hi this storm is tracking southeast correct - so its yet to really hit you? If so your in for a little bit of chaos. Its terrible here in Pontypridd today - the winds are frightening. In 33 minutes the fire service alone has attended many many incidents.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow

Whoever said this is a non-event must be having a giraffe, I work outside and trust me when I say this having just got home it has been f**king windy today. It started off bright and breezy and not too bad but after about 10 o'clock the winds began to pick up and it clouded over, we had quite a bad spell between 11 and 12 then there was a slight lull for about an hour or so before it started picking up again and the rain has arrived in the last hour or so and the winds have cranked up a notch and seem more persistent then they where earlier, very squally and higher mean speeds about 30-35mph I'd say, some of the gusts must have been approaching if not exceeding 60mph for a time, the roar and howl was pretty noticeable and trees looked like they where about to snap in half lol. Absolutely crazy!!!!!  So absolutely NOT a non-event. I dread to think how bad it is on the coast!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Windiest it has been in the last 24hrs here on the South East coast.Rampant gusts in excess of 63mph on a regular basis.67mph recorded 30 minutes ago on the beach at camber.Spectaculer seas in a 'phenominal' state crashing over defences.The gusts lift you off your feet.

Minor damage spotted thus far,a few trees down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A bit further than forecast by the looks of it and a big section in the midlands judging by XC weather 12hr animation had a lot less than expected. Always out of it here so a quiet day wind wise but plenty of heavy showers around.

Warning s at the moment look spot on to me and they don't seem to have been updated since this morning so can't see where's the confusion come from there.. It could local forecasts getting it wrong and the been forecasts have been deteriorating lately in how deliver detail and leaving a confused picture. Again I haven't seen any forecasts since this morning and they seemed pretty spot on as well though.

Posted

A few images taken today in Hastings.

20160208_111649.jpg

20160208_122526.jpg

20160208_121418.jpg

Edited by sunnijim
more pictures
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, AdamStorm7891 said:

Whoever said this is a non-event must be having a giraffe, I work outside and trust me when I say this having just got home it has been f**king windy today. It started off bright and breezy and not too bad but after about 10 o'clock the winds began to pick up and it clouded over, we had quite a bad spell between 11 and 12 then there was a slight lull for about an hour or so before it started picking up again and the rain has arrived in the last hour or so and the winds have cranked up a notch and seem more persistent then they where earlier, very squally and higher mean speeds about 30-35mph I'd say, some of the gusts must have been approaching if not exceeding 60mph for a time, the roar and howl was pretty noticeable and trees looked like they where about to snap in half lol. Absolutely crazy!!!!!  So absolutely NOT a non-event. I dread to think how bad it is on the coast!

Whereas here in Sussex hardly a breeze all afternoon!