Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Imogen

Summer Sun

Posted
1 minute ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Latest gust predictions from the 12z ARPEGE, the far S/SW of Ireland, S/SW Wales and Cornwall getting the worse from Imogen then later in the day through the channel, could be some rough ferry crossings. 

ap16.thumb.png.f812fe9a568b9561be2ef4978ap17.thumb.png.63bd73c881d49a33c4263fad8ap19.thumb.png.18b1132181c547623a4a70d2fap18.thumb.png.08af9fd17c3a8907eee62329d

i   think  the  met office could  be under  playing  this  to  much  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Derek Brockway ‏@DerekTheWeather 13m13 minutes ago Wales, United Kingdom

Met Office Chief Forecaster "Of concern is likelihood of gusts >70mph for the likes of Cardiff/Newport & Bristol conurbations" #StormImogen

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow
2 minutes ago, tinybill said:

this  could  be like  the  great storm  which  hit  the  se of  the uk

LOL no I very much doubt it'll be that bad but it could end up being worse then the St' Jude storm from October 2013 or the storms back in January 2007. They're still quite certain winds will be generally 50mph around the London region but I think they might be closer to 60-70mph, somewhere near the south coast especially the south-west approaches could get over 90mph.

The Great Storm of 1987 saw winds gusting of over 90mph in central London and gusts of 110-120mph around Kent and Essex coasts and headlands, a storm with a once in 150 to 300 year return period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
2 minutes ago, tinybill said:

i   think  the  met office could  be under  playing  this  to  much  

They've been pretty good with the last few windstorms, no charts to suggest they are under playing anything, 50mph or so inland & 60-70mph around the coasts maybe a touch higher in very exposed locations. Certainly nothing like the great storm! 

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

To think a shift just 50 miles north would put more populated areas of England bang-on in the higher gusts windfield. Already got some strong gusts hitting the window here ahead of Imogen, and we're 100+ miles north of Birmingham.

eh? its already meant to affect London?!

Posted

12z NetWx-SR wind gusts, 50-60mph for most, higher over S/SW Wales & N Cornwall. It'll be funnelling up the Bristol Channel.

net7.thumb.png.c5e87b4542a39749b67cc9590net8.thumb.png.830a5d13f0ab591e083ef44c4net9.thumb.png.fb793eb7125f868239d976f55net10.thumb.png.695bfe3dacc3451f61d20367

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Rob Walker said:

Windyty is just on the wrong date entirely. Its showing me data for before Christmas....

Perhaps you've been there before? The time-scale bar is a-ok for me.
Try bypassing your cache by doing ctrl+F5 a few times, or open the page up in incognito. :)

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Perhaps you've been there before? The time-scale bar is a-ok for me.
Try bypassing your cache by doing ctrl+F5 a few times, or open the page up in incognito. :)

Weird!! its working now maybe I have been there before!
Data seems a bit off for my area right now but I can see why you prefer it to the earthnull thingy

Posted
5 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

12z NetWx-SR wind gusts, 50-60mph for most, higher over S/SW Wales & N Cornwall. It'll be funnelling up the Bristol Channel.

net7.thumb.png.c5e87b4542a39749b67cc9590net8.thumb.png.830a5d13f0ab591e083ef44c4net9.thumb.png.fb793eb7125f868239d976f55net10.thumb.png.695bfe3dacc3451f61d20367

The gust predictions for yesterdays wind & rain actually look the same or slightly higher across the SE when compared to the above charts from Imogen, but the wind direction will be different tomorrow. 

n1.thumb.png.0bcec3ffa684a7ef353542045dc

Going back a few months the last named storm to affect the southern half of the UK was Barney back in November, not looking as strong as he was and the Met warning stayed yellow for this event! 

barn.thumb.png.f04a2db6fcb2f234ca5c6611bbarn1.thumb.png.7ded68ddf5f29ce96ee82c63

Latest surface analysis showing Imogen up to 960mb.

imog.thumb.gif.c9eff29e17430d132c3fd8d76imog1.thumb.PNG.119e0a847a29772189d5b620

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

like to report that one hell of a shower just passed here ,rain torrential with gusty winds but only lasted minutes .

we have been lucky so far this winter here on west mendip but tomorrow looks a fowl day ,although trees are not in leaf i can remember a large tree being felled in the burns day storm and the noise of that still sticks in my mind now ,take care all .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've just been outside with the torch. for a smoke, and the last 15 minutes have been insane! Each wind event varies when it comes to locality, but the period of winds just a moment ago was easily on par with Feb 14th 2014.
My station is  at a height of 5 metres and only 20 metres away from buildings that are in excess of 10 metres tall. The wind direction means that a substantial amount of energy is lost, yet I've just recorded 53mph on it. I honestly thought the pole was going to snap- if it survives tomorrow, i'll be very surprised!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've just been outside with the torch. for a smoke, and the last 15 minutes have been insane! Each wind event varies when it comes to locality, but the period of winds just a moment ago was easily on par with Feb 14th 2014.
My station is  at a height of 5 metres and only 20 metres away from buildings that are in excess of 10 metres tall. The wind direction means that a substantial amount of energy is lost, yet I've just recorded 53mph on it. I honestly thought the pole was going to snap- if it survives tomorrow, i'll be very surprised!

Holy smokes! I've only hit 37 mph so far!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Shoreham Airport is around 55mph.  I have had to bring my table and chairs in from the balcony for the first time since I moved in 18 months ago.  It is pretty fierce.  I am at the very highest point in Brighton.

• Like 2

Posted

It's blowing   well got  to bring  the table  which helps are old cat getting via the window in

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
24 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Hey  I believe you have the new Netatmo  anemometer? It would be interesting to see how it copes with Imogen,  i'm thinking of getting one for my station. Sorry a bit off topic.  :-)

Posted
1 hour ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

The gust predictions for yesterdays wind & rain actually look the same or slightly higher across the SE when compared to the above charts from Imogen, but the wind direction will be different tomorrow. 

n1.thumb.png.0bcec3ffa684a7ef353542045dc

Going back a few months the last named storm to affect the southern half of the UK was Barney back in November, not looking as strong as he was and the Met warning stayed yellow for this event! 

barn.thumb.png.f04a2db6fcb2f234ca5c6611bbarn1.thumb.png.7ded68ddf5f29ce96ee82c63

Latest surface analysis showing Imogen up to 960mb.

imog.thumb.gif.c9eff29e17430d132c3fd8d76imog1.thumb.PNG.119e0a847a29772189d5b620

I agree 100 %!

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

We just had the mother of all thunder cracks here in Puddletown - it really shook the house and gave a very long rumble. We have shutters on the windows so I didn't see the lightning flash. Went and checked round the house and can see no damage but he dogs are refusing to go outside! No other thunder heard before or after this

Edited by egret
clarification
  • Like 1