Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Imogen

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Storm Imogen has been officially named by Met Eireann

Yellow warnings are in force from the met office for strong winds and heavy rain

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1454889600

Storm Imogen is the 3rd named storm of 2016 and the 9th since November

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

The strongest storm since the Valentines night storm of 2014 when 70mph winds coupled with a channel storm surge created mayhem for the loved up enjoying a beach front dinner. Inundation of sea fronts from Portland to Brighton that night.

As mentioned on the Atlantic lows thread we have pretty high tides on Monday (full moon) around much of the South coast,and some of the strongest winds in Hastings coincide with a 1045am top tide on Monday... A return home beckons me tomorrow and a day off Monday!

Posted

Hmm. Would appear likely that my Monday afternoon flight from Gatwick will be at least delayed then. Which is no disaster since I'm arriving late in Tromso regardless, and I'd prefer to avoid a bumpy take off. Any suggestion as to when the winds will begin to calm?

Posted

Calmer from 1800 by the looks of things,although gales will continue into the night around the coasts.

ECM seems to have called this better than other models from about a week out,UKMO model went with a weaker storm for many runs,and gfs stronger.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
2 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Sorry..Storm Imogen is today's low or Monday's?

Monday, see above.

Working at Gatwick airport today and watching the occasional plane abort landing due to the strong southerly cross wind, don't envy those onboard with the plane lurching side to side just before landing!

I suspect Pembrey Sands in South Wales and Isles of Scilly will recording some big gusts on Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Only a very slight difference between the ECM and UKMO- mainly down to timing. Both  put the strongest winds around the South Wales coasts, Cornwall and Devon coasts, and along the South coast/Channel.

GZ_D5_PN_048_0000.thumb.gif.b3925ba91b8dGZ_PN_048_0000.thumb.gif.9553e55f5662324
UV_PN_UU_VV_042_1000.thumb.gif.abcec730b160206_1200_51.thumb.png.88513178f949ff3

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

It is pretty active here in Limousin with wind and rain. It woke me up at 0200 battering against the house. I decided to get out of bed rather than just lie there awake! Going back to bed now with my earplugs in...

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Nick F said:

Monday, see above.

Working at Gatwick airport today and watching the occasional plane abort landing due to the strong southerly cross wind, don't envy those onboard with the plane lurching side to side just before landing!

I suspect Pembrey Sands in South Wales and Isles of Scilly will recording some big gusts on Monday.

Thank you. It doesn't take much to confuse me!I'm at Heathrow this morning... Complete contrast to yesterday -hardly a breath of air

• Like 1

Posted

could be a  interesting rush   hour n the  morning  it  could  be a little  bit wild !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

It's now an amber warning, mostly for south-west England

Structural damage possible, disruption to power supplies

Winds could be reaching 80mph in exposed places, and combined with the high spring tides

Very large waves

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Bath and North East Somerset, Bournemouth, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Isles of Scilly, North Somerset, Plymouth, Poole, Somerset, Torbay, Wiltshire, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth, Southampton, West Sussex are now under an amber warning

Issued at: 0451 on Sun 7 Feb 2016

Valid from: 0300 on Mon 8 Feb 2016

Valid to: 1800 on Mon 8 Feb 2016

An area of very strong winds is likely to extend east across southwest England and parts of central southern England on Monday morning. Gusts of 60-70 mph are likely widely, with 80 mph gusts in exposed coastal areas, particularly Cornwall and North Devon. Some very large waves are also likely to affect many coasts, in particular north coasts of Cornwall and Devon. Winds should gradually ease through the afternoon and evening. Please be prepared for disruption to travel as well as possible damage to trees and structures and interruption of power supplies.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

An area of low pressure is expected to move eastwards across the UK on Monday with a swathe of very strong winds around its southern flank, which will affect parts of southern Britain. The winds are likely to be very gusty at times, particularly in association with heavy showers running across these areas. There remains some uncertainty in northward and eastward extent of the damaging winds as well as the peak strengths and so this warning will be kept under review.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=uk&fcTime=1454889600

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Storms
2 hours ago, tinybill said:

could be a  interesting rush   hour n the  morning  it  could  be a little  bit wild !!

Am from Ipswich too mate, what are we looking at in terms of winds speeds?

My boss will kill me if am late, lol.

Posted

I think the morning peak in East Anglia will be okay personally. It'll be windy but dead branches and trees have already had a few tests in the last couple of years. Gusts upto 45mph in the morning which isn't that bad. Lunchtime is when it will be strongest with inland gusts of up to about 65mph. Bad but not horrific. Just set out earlier than normal, expect problems and the reality will probably be quite dull. 

I'm looking forward to a few posts tomorrow night along the lines of "Well, what was all the fuss about?" 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

SW Ireland looks like it'll get the worst from Imogen with gusts around 80mph or so.

ap12.thumb.png.d4bbb86687a515a26bebb7a19

Tracking eastwards to affect S Wales & SW England, with gusts around 60-70mph, strongest winds likely S/SW Wales, N Cornwall and then far southern coastal areas and through the channel, not overly windy inland according the ARPEGE. 

ap15.thumb.png.b48b4acacf85eecb9e378e875ap13.thumb.png.eff59a005fe788ef0e2915d4dap14.thumb.png.2754afe437900ee2add176375

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow

I don't think this one should be underestimated by any stretch of the imagination considering it is going to effect some of the highly populated areas of the south unlike most of the storms the UK has experienced recently which have mostly only effected Scotland, Northern Ireland and North-West England, on the flip side of the coin I don't think it should be over-egged like the St' Jude storm was a couple of years or so back. The wind speeds look to be quite similar to that storm so 70-80mph possibly 90 on exposed coasts with inland areas seeing more like 60mph however with the trees bare at this time of year I expect lesser impacts on that side of things, still could be disruption to power supplies structural damage to poorly constructed buildings and/or man made structures and disruption to travel etc... I guess we all just have to sit tight and wait and see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow
16 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The met office have provided a map for the strongest winds

CamyGQOWwAACk4C.jpg

Looks like I'm just inside the zone of the strongest winds.:bomb::unsure2::help:

Posted
4 hours ago, January Snowstorm said:

Looking severe for my area with seas v high from both swell and high tide.

Cork city could flood with it all coinciding at around 5am

Yeah, let's keep an eye out.

Cork Flood Watch here:  77.74.50.157/cfw/

(Hi everyone! first post)

Posted

There is a bit of a difference to recent storms as the wind is more westerly than south or south westerly which will mean more damage to trees. Trees grow to cope with the prevailing wind and the more westerly component will mean greater twisting effect. Expect to see more branches and trees down than in recent storms.

• Like 1