Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Are there any real T-storms near Hampshire area?

Hi there guys i moved in Southampton, UK since early September and i haven't witnessed any T-storm with lightning and hail up until now, so i was wondering if they do occur any thunderstorms in this area and which month of the year most frequent? I am from Cyprus and we get lots of daytime thunderstorms mostly in Autumn and Spring when there is increased instability and nightime during Winter. I used to chase them and pictured a couple of funnel clouds and tornadoes so i look forward for any T-storm to occur. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Hi there - welcome to the UK! There are plenty of local experts on hand to answer your questions but all I've got to say is that - obviously - the UK thunderstorm setup is very different to the Mediterranean one! I have been living in mid-France since September 2015, but had the privilege to live through my first ever supercell thunderstorm in the north of the UK before I left (that was in July)! I've travelled a lot but I've never seen anything like that before.

You will experience the amazing variations of the weather in the UK - winters that can be like spring, springs that can be like winters. Talking about thunderstorms again, we have also had small tornadoes in September in the UK following high temperatures! Some winters deliver 3 metre snow drifts, others have no snow at all.

I hope you enjoy your new experiences!

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

I live near Southampton, and i have just witnessed the closest lightning strike of my life from that very storm. Quite a scary experience to be honest! 

Storms are not very frequent here though. Our best chances are normally in the summer when storms drift out of North France. But as tonight has shown, they can happen at any time of the year! I bet Cyprus get some good storms during the Autumn..