Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lauren

Do you believe there is a plan for your life?

What I mean is whether you believe in God, or fate or nothing at all, do you believe that there is a plan amongst it all?

For example do you believe that everything happens for a reason, do you believe that you get back what you put in?

I've been thinking about this a lot recently considering the events in my life.

I don't believe in God, I don' think I believe in fate, but I'd like to think that for all the bad stuff that's happened that it's all for something better to happen that's going to make me happier than I ever imagined.

But the truth is that just doesn't happen for some people.

What do you think?

Well I don't believe in God so predestination is a no no, but hypothetically if I did, I'm sure my soul would be destined for eternal salvation.

no.

imho its all random. if there was a plan, there must be a planner, an architect. if there was (a god) who had predestined our lives - why where so many people evil and caused so much pain? it means we are all robots, carrying out a pre-programmed routine of which we had no control, nor accountability meaning god had created us in order to send some of us to hell.

i think theres a probability that whatever life is about, its a far greater concept then we can imagine so shouldnt be tried to be explained by fate nor religion.

Yes, I believe to an extent that some things are planned in our lives unknowingly to us all. I care not to look into it so deeply that is just what I think - from the moment of conception I think some parts of your fate are determined, then again I'm quite spiritual albeit not religious minded. 

In the first place we have so many 'religious writings' deemed by their followers to be the 'Word of God' I find it difficult to believe that He would say one thing to one group of people then something else to another group, so take the view that many are written for political reasons to ensure the adherence of their particular people to a particular path.

Let's face it, in the past we knew little of science or how the world worked and we only had explanations from our priests - now if we did not behave the priest would threaten us with eternal damnation and we would believe him and that would keep most on the straight and narrow.

Having said that if we were to get down to the nitty grtitty of what has been written they mostly teach what we accept at the Christian principles of generally being good to each other but they have been adulterated with a great deal of 'spin' in order that the leaders of the time can use them as justification for wars and many other unchristian things.

I am not so arrogant as to assume that human intelligence is the pinnacle and believe that there are many things we do not know about - we try to guess but I'm not sure we always get the right answers.

My first thought is to ask the question, 'What is the purpose of life?' and the most logical answer to me is to learn and improve and that we do this by facing the different challenges we all have in life and through which we learn.

I will not go as far as to say that everything is predestined because that would mean taking away our freedom of choice and action but rather what I would say is that it is possible that we are put in different situations where we have to make choices and learn this way.

That is where karma comes in.

There was a fantastic program on BBC channel 4 the other night about the nature of reality - for instance, we and the objects we see about us every day are solid but when you take it down to a sub atomic level, we and these objects are mostly empty space and there is a theoretical possibility that we could walk through walls. It's got many theorists going at it full pelt with their equations, slide rules and computers.

It is something I have thought about for a long time and feel that as we learn more about the sub atomic level and perhaps find the elusive formula which binds physical physics to quantum physics we will learn more from the philosophical point of view and science and nature will combine.

Now that would be really fascinating to be there when it happens but as always I suspect that questions answered will throw up further questions.

I can't really add much to that, Mike; just to say that, as an atheist, I find most religious doctrines to be somewhat nonsensical...With the glaring exception of: 'treat others as you yourself would hope to be treated'...:D

2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I can't really add much to that, Mike; just to say that, as an atheist, I find most religious doctrines to be somewhat nonsensical...With the glaring exception of: 'treat others as you yourself would hope to be treated'...:D

Indeed that is the basic Christian ethic - I am quite spiritual in some ways but don't go with the mumbo jumbo we are given for the reasons I have explained but just feel that there is a lot more to life than we perceive but at the moment there is no way we can prove the existence of God, a spiritual world or an afterlife either way - I'm afraid we are all mushrooms, kept in  the dark whilst our feet are ensconced in the proverbial.:nea:

Well, as we can, and have, travelled into the future (astronauts being the obvious example), then the future must already exist right?

Or maybe there are an infinite number of futures and astronauts just travel forward into one of them? Or maybe they create new futures if they deviate too much from our timeline.

But then as we all time travel relative to one another if we move faster through space, be that in a car, jet or rocket, maybe there are infinite numbers of futures and this number is growing all the time...expanding just as the universe is.

In that case, our future probably does exist / is sort of pre-ordained, but we just have no way of knowing what it will turn out like and someone travelling into the future can't tell us as they'll only end up in one of the possibilities. So, it might as well not be pre-ordained.

Relativity. Hmmph.

Anyway, as you were.

Evening, Lauren. I can't wait to read what everyone else has said. I specifically joined this site so I could read this thread. Yes, I do believe in God, and love Him with all that I am. I've been a believer in Christ since October 2009. How did it happen? Long story which I've started blogging about!

In my opinion there is truth to this. In the 70's my mother went to a medium and this woman explained to my mum what I would do in my future and other peoples. My mum never told me until years later when I did almost exactly what the medium said. The medium also explained what my granddads (mum's dad) nick name was in the army as well, there is no way the medium could have known it as it was unusual, the medium also detailed my grand mothers appearance and what she enjoyed, she had some quirky hobbies so again the medium would never have known. The medium also predicted her own death, apparently she died of an overdose, just as she predicted. I still have the tape recording of the session that the medium gave my mother. So yes in my opinion I think our future's are mapped out for us, I believe in destiny. A scientific explanation of how this happens is beyond me though.

I personally don't believe in God (happy to be proved otherwise). But I do believe for the most part that everything has it's opposite and in experiencing one you come round to experience the other, sort of Ying and Yang, I suppose. Life goes in cycles, something terrible happens, but because that has happened it leads to something good that wouldn't have happened without the bad thing.

I guess it's spiritual really, I don't believe a power controls it but I do believe in the natural flow of things.

The Butterfly Effect is a great film.

Agreed @Frost Hollow

It is quite hard to grasp...

I believe every person has innate psychic abilities which many are unaware of some are & some can develop this further. I have felt premonitions last year my parents were involved in a car crash moments later I got a phone call it was a very ominous feeling. I am very confident there is plenty we do not know and we will never find the answers - perhaps in death in the other realm I like to think of, the mist may clear. :) 

In my opinion  there is no plan, life is what you make it. good bad or indifferent.

If there is a plan for my life, I believe it must have been put together by GFS or more likely NAVGEM!

Do I believe there's a plan for my life? Give me a sec, just going to go and ask the wife....

More seriously, what @weirpig said. All under your own control.

From the current human perception i'm going to say No. I believe that one largely decides their own fate and the only rule in life that matters to me is this.. ' In the long run, Summer Blizzard will always win '. 

That said i don't believe time is entirely linear and i simply believe that our understanding of temporal science is woeful so in that sense all my actions have already occurred, all the possible futures from my decision points already exist.

So the short answer is that from a first person perception, no but also yes.

I believe in parallel universe theory where for every decision you make the opposite decision is acted out in a parallel universe..therefore there are millions of you acting different lives based on different decisions you have made. God does not exist..the paradox is that if god exists who created god?

7 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I believe in parallel universe theory where for every decision you make the opposite decision is acted out in a parallel universe..therefore there are millions of you acting different lives based on different decisions you have made. God does not exist..the paradox is that if god exists who created god?

A super GOD :)

But I am with you in parallel universes and multiverses, the theorists working with their mathematical formulae seem to think they exist and have wondered about it for a long time, though there is no proof which a small brain like mine is likely to understand.

It's a bit like saying what was there before the 'big bang'?

On 4 February 2016 at 10:23 PM, Lauren said:

I personally don't believe in God (happy to be proved otherwise). But I do believe for the most part that everything has it's opposite and in experiencing one you come round to experience the other, sort of Ying and Yang, I suppose. Life goes in cycles, something terrible happens, but because that has happened it leads to something good that wouldn't have happened without the bad thing.

I guess it's spiritual really, I don't believe a power controls it but I do believe in the natural flow of things.

The Butterfly Effect is a great film.

What do you believe then? 

If no god (creator) exists then what was the root cause? 

That's putting faith in a singularity.... I'd rather put faith in some supreme being.

The rational arguments are 50/50 (God vs Singularity), both increadibly unlikely and incomprehensible and yet those are our options.

So with rational thinking at gridlock then i think you're left with irrational thinking. Wants, desires, hopes etc. 

I want my family, friends and people i've lost and will lose to be happy. I want them to have a great life someplace else since they didn't have that on this earth etc etc.

I wish there was some kind of karma type system. A heaven/hell idea, not based on Christian values though. One based on not hurting others and having good intentions, not on outdated socially conservative principles.

So i'm an 'agnostic-theist'.... 

I don't believe 'everything happens for a reason' though. I just think once we die there may well be something else, it's what i hope anyway. 

I plan on enjoying this life to the full in the meantime.... Enjoy some pre-marital sex etc, sees my devoutly religious great-grandmother turning in her grave... Hears the muslims scream that this is Haraam :p 

I don't think for example that giving other people pleasure should be viewed upon negatively... If the boys and I (and the girls for that matter) want to chill, and some greenery may or may not be involved, then so be it. If i'm allowing my heterosexual feelings to flourish when talking to a religious person and she enjoys it and it leads to her partaking in haraam activities then i make no apologies for that etc etc. Make yourself and other people happy, end of.

7 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

That indeed is a paradox  however on the flip side as mike asked what was there before the bigbang  if stephen hawkings theroy as anything to go by then an atom, particle, etc just appeared at the begining of time. so if thats the theroy of one of the most famous physists is there anymore of a push to think that god just appeared?  i have no idea either way  i think its just a case of sitting back and enjoying the ride.

6 minutes ago, weirpig said:

That indeed is a paradox  however on the flip side as mike asked what was there before the bigbang  if stephen hawkings theroy as anything to go by then an atom, particle, etc just appeared at the begining of time. so if thats the theroy of one of the most famous physists is there anymore of a push to think that god just appeared?  i have no idea either way  i think its just a case of sitting back and enjoying the ride.

Will reply properly tomorrow but basically both theories do address the problem of 'infinite regress' to some degree ie God is infinite, a being which is above creation. An omni-present feature OR a 'singularity', an infinite state of stableness but then something happened making it unstable and a big bang occured.. Then fast forward a trillion years and our bog bang happened 6 billion tears ago and subsequently our universe... So the theory goes. What set the 'singularity' off is unknown but it is 'infinite' in its stable state.

Both seem highly improbable but such is life (double entendre intended)

I was brought up a Catholic and went to Catholic schools.

My Father and Mother are still alive and devout. Mum is in a home with severe Althziemers. Dad is still at home.

So i was brought up and teached as a Catholic.

My answer - a resounding no. I dont believe in any of that stuff.

It's been ingrained in our society for centuries but it's absolute tosh.

8 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

My Father and Mother are still alive and devout. Mum is in a home with severe Althziemers. Dad is still at home.

Completely agree! If there is a god he/she/it's a nasty, spiteful, vindictive piece of work.

Religion? God?  The mere fact that there are so many versions of religion and God just casts suspicion in my mind.   Faith in your own personal religion or God is fine if it carries you through life, gives you comfort and doesn't harm anyone else in the process.   When it is used as a political tool and causes innocents to die in worldwide wars, death and destruction for the soul purpose of gaining control,  power and money then I'm afraid It is just too difficult for me to have an  interest or belief in either.

8 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

What do you believe then? 

42 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Completely agree! If there is a god he/she/it's a nasty, spiteful, vindictive piece of work.

This is probably the biggest problem i have with god. The lack of 'justice' in the world... Although, 'justice' is relative, what is moral for me, might be immoral for you and vice versa. 

Although, perhaps god comes into effect once we leave this world. This world is an audition of sorts

6 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Religion? God?  The mere fact that there are so many versions of religion and God just casts suspicion in my mind.   Faith in your own personal religion or God is fine if it carries you through life, gives you comfort and doesn't harm anyone else in the process.   When it is used as a political tool and causes innocents to die in worldwide wars, death and destruction for the soul purpose of gaining control,  power and money then I'm afraid It is just too difficult for me to have an  interest or belief in either.

That's the way it is though. It'll always be this way. When convictions are so strong in a belief system then you'll fight for it.

Ultimately, i just think the concept of a 'singularity' etc is proposterous. More unbelievable than the idea that there is a god. So you three believe in nothing then? I mean, either belief requires blind faith imo so i leantowards the one that i want to be true. 

I think human life is more than just atoms and particles, there most certainly is a 'spiritual' aspect. This doesn't = god. However, i think the scientific viewpoint is too black and white for my liking. The whole issue and concept is deeply confusing and highly complex.

• Spring warmth and sunshine this weekend but we've got to stay at home

In normal times we'd be talking about the excellent timing of the sunshine and warmth coming through at the weekend. But of course,a0these aren't normal times, so even though temperatures could get to 20-21c in places tomorrow, we're all going to have to enjoy it from home. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Weather forecasting concerns as number of aircraft observations plummet

Changes in the weather world as observations reduce from aircraft and on land in the time of global pandemic. Less initial data to input into the computer models. AMDAR AIREP Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 1