Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 2nd February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
37 minutes ago, Surrey said:

We are in it anyway, 60+ mph winds on the gfs with 90 in the channel just phenomenal I've never known such consistent modelling 

Good. At least there's something "different" to look forward to.... This Atlantic steam train should be renamed steamroller I'm surprised geographically we haven't moved east we've had that much wind and rain lol

Edited by snowfish1

2 minutes ago, snowfish1 said:

Good. At least there's something "different" to look forward to.... This Atlantic steam train should be renamed steamroller I'm surprised geographically we haven't moved east we've had that much wind and rain lol

Indeed I agree but this storm could be the worst in a few years down here 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
13 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Indeed I agree but this storm could be the worst in a few years down here 

Yeas Surrey. This snapshot chart shows it nicely I think Saturday from midday til mid evening and Monday for the west winds

and squally rain 

Edited by snowfish1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Good agreement now from GFS and ECM that a notable storm will cross the South of the UK next Monday 8th. Before that we have some strong winds overnight Sat into Sun, but it's Monday that needs watching. A few charts....

First, the GFS 850 hPa shows the position of the storm Monday at 09.00:

56b30860d7af5_GFS00zforMon08Feb09.00.thu

The ARPEGE model has an interesting output that shows the max wind gust that will be experienced between T0 and T114 (i.e. between now and 114 hours time), so at present it only goes up to 07.00 on Monday. Here's 2 charts showing mid-night Sat (into Sun) and the purple shows gusts between 110 and 120 km/h (68 mph) have already clipped Kent. The second chart is for 07.00 Monday and look what's out in the SW approaches, heading our way - the potential for even stronger winds. The SW and S. Wales could really get battered. Usual caution... it's the models and details could yet change.

Mid-night Sat 56b308765c54b_ARPEGEWindGustMaxtoSun07Fe  07.00 Monday 56b308818b2fb_ARPEGEWindGustMaxtoMon08Fe

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
9 hours ago, March said:

Bedford gets on average more days of thunder than 80-90% of the country. 

Well I live just outside of Bedford and I can tell you that last year we had one thunderstorm. In fact I have lived here for 8 years and I wouldn't say 80-90%. No way.

A-lot of storms actually miss me, so if you got more than 1 last year you were lucky.

live on the coast first.

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, snowfish1 said:

Those on the south coast may well get some of the stronger winds, I would rather it went away again.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Surrey said:

Really could be a notable weekend 

Agree, as it stands the south coast and especially northern France would take the brunt of the strongest winds with many of us escaping the worst, but move the system north slightly and we're all in for it. Could move a bit south too of course, or downgrade, but one to watch for sure. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: greenhithe, kent (nr bluewater) 51.45216 n 0.25966 e
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter hot in summer
  • Location: greenhithe, kent (nr bluewater) 51.45216 n 0.25966 e

i think it will downgrade here in nw kent, the iossc site says max 56mph gusts on sunday night 

will need to look at pressure charts to see if i am right

Guys please, don't compare model run by model run you don't do this only within 24 hour period there after throw it out.. We have to wait till late tomorrow/ Saturday for Saturday nights winds to nail it and then Sunday to nail Monday also ignore all general wind speeds on these websites they are based on the GFS I think and all computer modeled wait for the high res models to roll out late tomorrow...

• Like 1

Posted

This saturday is looking windy even inland.

Gusts widely between 50-60mph during the light of day - The S coast seeing the worst of the winds.....

image.thumb.png.ab9588c019695da0562d9e5dimage.thumb.png.49492b25da3a8275a0e12409

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Got to take someone out in a wheelchair on saturday, have i got to hang on to him for dear life :unsure2:, so he doesnt take off , i am taking him to the pub :drinks::drinks:, , dont want to see him rolling down the road, mind you my waving goodbye arm is good :whistling:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
46 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

This saturday is looking windy even inland.

Gusts widely between 50-60mph during the light of day - The S coast seeing the worst of the winds.....

image.thumb.png.ab9588c019695da0562d9e5dimage.thumb.png.49492b25da3a8275a0e12409

It's the south winds as the storm up north is sucking air in that really hit this area hard, I remember from 2013, so even Saturday could be a bad day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
18 minutes ago, Jo S said:

Got to take someone out in a wheelchair on saturday, have i got to hang on to him for dear life :unsure2:, so he doesnt take off , i am taking him to the pub :drinks::drinks:, , dont want to see him rolling down the road, mind you my waving goodbye arm is good :whistling:

:rofl: Now that has just made me laugh! You are hilarious! I suppose it depends what time you go, just don't come back on Monday or you may have some issues!!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

:rofl: Now that has just made me laugh! You are hilarious! I suppose it depends what time you go, just don't come back on Monday or you may have some issues!!

its saturday lunch time ,i am taking him,, to the harvester, so not sure how bad the wind is going to be, or should i rephrase the wind part, um gusts, yes that sounds more professional,, :), i would prefer savaloy,gherking,pickled onion and chips, but hey the harverster will have to do :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
7 minutes ago, Jo S said:

its saturday lunch time ,i am taking him,, to the harvester, so not sure how bad the wind is going to be, or should i rephrase the wind part, um gusts, yes that sounds more professional,, :), i would prefer savaloy,gherking,pickled onion and chips, but hey the harverster will have to do :D

Wind gust chart attached for reference......you may be OK, however, it will be a tad blowy, therefore, you may need your strong arm to keep hold rather than waving goodbye!:smile:

ukgust.png

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

Wind gust chart attached for reference......you may be OK, however, it will be a tad blowy, therefore, you may need your strong arm to keep hold rather than waving goodbye!:smile:

ukgust.png

No my strong arm will be holding my drink, :drinks: oh and the reference um yer ok, :cc_confused: like i understand that, looks good though :pardon:

• Like 1

Posted

Other than wind & rain and lots of it certainly over the next week or so, "winter" looks just about dead to me. Not that it even got going of course. There isn't even a whiff of excitement in the long-range. Just more of the same. PV in over-drive, wind/rain/cool/rinse/repeat. Total and utter crap. Anyone else throwing the towel in?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
27 minutes ago, Southender said:

Other than wind & rain and lots of it certainly over the next week or so, "winter" looks just about dead to me. Not that it even got going of course. There isn't even a whiff of excitement in the long-range. Just more of the same. PV in over-drive, wind/rain/cool/rinse/repeat. Total and utter crap. Anyone else throwing the towel in?

Not throwing the towel in but yes, it hasn't been a 'fun' winter weather-wise. Same old shyte for months on end gets very dreary. I'm not all that bothered about snow but those few cold, sunny days we had a couple of weeks ago were lovely. All this wind and rain stops me from getting outside, I accept that it's going to happen a fair bit in winter but it's been relentless this year! Still think we may get something colder/snowier this month though, and it is February 4th, not March. 

• Like 1