Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 2nd February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

As per my post in the CSE & SW Regional thread with regards to Singularity's post concerning tomorrow evening, could be interesting for some maybe?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Still very windy but slowly moderating. Wind gusts appear to be as forecasted, so no over-hyping in my book. 

Posted
3 hours ago, <<Ryan>> said:

Just been down to Winchelsea. Sea is eroding the wall fast, just 4-6ft left in one particular area. Emergency repairs being undertaken now. A couple of large branches down along the way, but nothing too serious in my area that I've seen so far. 

Looking forward to the possibility of snow later this week/weekend :) 

Any pictures I'm intrigued? :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Have a Powercut here no street lights . No power at all

Edited by Mark wheeler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
11 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Have a Powercut here no street lights . No power at all

You can blame Surrey (Luke) for that, probably using the cooker, kettle, toaster, microwave, electric blanket and multiple charging devices for the model outputs all in one hit:D 

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes
12 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Any pictures I'm intrigued? :) 

Afraid not! I'm down that way again on Wednesday, but I'm pretty sure they will have replaced the shingle by then. They have 6-8 dumpers running back and forth, wont take long to fill the gap.

Wind is dying down here now, with the stronger gusts becoming further and further between one another.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
13 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

You can blame Surrey (Luke) for that, probably using the cooker, kettle, toaster, microwave, electric blanket and multiple charging devices for the model outputs all in one hit:D 

lol. Temporary power back which is weird lights on at 10% brightness 

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

This must be wrong.

Flip knows where the wind speeds derive from!

image.thumb.jpeg.eb8f44aa01635c2e43ebcea

That's spot on where I am. Winds ramped up again just as we thought Imogen was nearly done

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
9 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

Any photo or comment about London bridge utter mayhem 35 mins late 

I read in the Storm Imogen thread that a roof was blown off and landed further down the line.  The Station became overcrowded and then closed?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So tomorrow

There are two potential events that could bring snow to the region.

First is during the morning where a secondary low will move through the English channel.

nmm_uk1-1-22-0.png?08-17

This could bring a spell of moderate to heavy rain along the far south coast, anywhere from the Isle of Wight eastwards. As cold air digs in this could turn to snow, especially over higher ground if this system tracks a little further north.

Now the second event

nmm_uk1-1-36-0.png?08-18

We see an occlusion run southwards during the evening giving some wintry showers with many models getting snow to low levels.

The uncertainty comes from the difficulty positioning the low for tomorrow for the first event and issues over the amount of precipitation moving south during the evening. At least there is some interest though.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
7 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Just when you though Imogen was done.. 

If its anything like an Imogen I've seen elsewhere she has a nice backside or should I say a perky tail end ;)

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

Tommorow is interesting it is unfortunate concerning the timing I expect cold rain in London however the downs might get pounded hard with the White stuff. It would not surprise me. 

image.thumb.png.1962ff9dab987a46b215a2a7image.thumb.png.c0f9e51f0ce16731468b1380

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
25 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

That's spot on where I am. Winds ramped up again just as we thought Imogen was nearly done

If that's mph rather than kph, it's showing gusts, not sustained wind speeds!

Having lived through both the 1987 great storm and the Burns Day storm of 1990, this one has been nothing like as bad. The former had wind gusts more twice as fast as what we've seen today; the latter had sustained wind speeds stronger than today's gusts and killed about 100 people in Ireland, the Netherlands and Belgium. 

TBH, in my neck of the woods, today has been no worse than a not-out-of-the-way autumn gale, although I am sure others have had it worse.

Posted
47 minutes ago, Alpine glow said:

I read in the Storm Imogen thread that a roof was blown off and landed further down the line.  The Station became overcrowded and then closed?

London's Cannon street station is currently closed due to overcrowding caused by storm Imogen blowing off part of the roof further down the line at London Bridge

Sorry...this is what I meant to paste!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/642183/Travel-chaos-at-London-Bridge-as-roof-falls-onto-track

Edited by Frosty hollows

Posted
15 minutes ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

If that's mph rather than kph, it's showing gusts, not sustained wind speeds!

Having lived through both the 1987 great storm and the Burns Day storm of 1990, this one has been nothing like as bad. The former had wind gusts more twice as fast as what we've seen today; the latter had sustained wind speeds stronger than today's gusts and killed about 100 people in Ireland, the Netherlands and Belgium. 

TBH, in my neck of the woods, today has been no worse than a not-out-of-the-way autumn gale, although I am sure others have had it worse.

I was assuming it was gusts! We've had several in the low 50s..had a couple of stronger ones saturday though. We've been lucky here. Apart from a few branches there doesn't seem to be anything amiss . Cornwall seems to have had a tough time with power outtages and phenomenal seas

Posted
1 hour ago, ihatecoldweather said:

Of course it wasn't just one post that suggested this storm could be close to 1987:

ihatecoldweather Do you see this button on your PC/Laptop/mobile?

simple-on-off-button_318-9894.jpg

Could you just press it once?

Thank you.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

The Arpege seems to be the most bullish for tomorrows potential snow. Probably all end up way further South, UKMO show it just clipping the coast.

arpege-1-22-0.png