Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 2nd February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, ihatecoldweather said:

I was talking about our region, and so were you until you realised that this was not a significant event in the South East.

As I proved earlier, people were saying that this could get close to 1987.

Perhaps the wind will pick up now, but if not, this is nothing substantially worse for the South East than other events this winter.

You didn't prove it earlier sir. You were quoting me and I'd said nothing of the sort. 

If you're done with Imogen, go find another thread that has something relevant to you and your region.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

You didn't prove it earlier sir. You were quoting me and I'd said nothing of the sort. 

If you're done with Imogen, go find another thread that has something relevant to you and your region.

:hi:You only have to turn the news on to see that Imogen has bought problems to the South.. 

Forecasts spot on IMO

Snippet from BBC:

More than 15,000 homes are without power after Storm Imogen brought heavy rain and winds of up to 96mph to parts of southern Britain.

South-west England and south and mid-Wales have borne the brunt so far, with eastern areas to be hit later.

Waves of up to 19.1m (63ft) have been measured off the Cornish coast, and winds of 70-80mph felt in many areas.

Rail services are disrupted, some cross-Channel ferries cancelled and drivers are urged to take extra care.

Okay though.. Imogen was a non event :rofl:

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Really tired, didn't get any sleep last night. Definately worse than the valentines day 2014 storm here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

The most surprising bit of info from this thread so far is that power lines down at the Hindhead tunnel, trees down and rail services delayed are 'back garden' events. Someone must have a bloody big back garden! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Wind still howling here.. Anyone near me getting these big gusts ? 

Yep although not quite as frequently as about an hour or 2 back, people saying this has been a non-event and nothing more then what our region has experienced already this winter haven't been experiencing some of the gusts I have today clearly, probably people snuggled up indoors, stick your heads out your front door then tell me that. I was almost getting blown clean off my feet earlier and there's been reports of London Bridge station having it's roof blown off and there's been trees down in Brentwood just a couple of miles from me!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

This must be wrong.

Flip knows where the wind speeds derive from!

image.thumb.jpeg.eb8f44aa01635c2e43ebcea

I wouldn't rule it out if there are any thundery downpours yet to pass through with violent squall lines, we've already had a couple of those this afternoon where I am and I'd say the winds weren't too far off those sort of speeds.

Posted

It has been quite a breezy day here in Tunbridge Wells, with the occasional strong gust, but not really anything that unusual or really notable for a deep low pressure system at this time of the year. No signs of any structural damage at all - although a pair of someone's waterproof trousers arrived in the front garden!

I suppose it all depends where you are located, but i would not say this was a widespread SE event.  

MM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

59 minutes ago, ihatecoldweather said:

It looks as if there has been some issues, however certainly not a historical storm, or anything like what some were predicting.

Perhaps if people could just admit they were wrong instead of trying to justify their remarks by bringing up some isolated incidents, people wouldn't get so annoyed.

There was one 1987 reference in a tongue in cheek manner yesterday evening.

17 hours ago, Wivenswold said:

I know, I keep telling myself that it'll just be a normal storm but this one feels different. That "otherness" which, looking back, I can remember on the eve of the 1987. Maybe I've just had too much red wine though. 

You have picked up on one post out of dozens to back up your view that the event was "over-hyped". Now in reality the expectation was that there would be 60-70mph gusts across southern counties.

This was the hi-res GFS output from yesterday evening posted by me

24-289UK.GIF?07-12

This actually disagreed with other models suggesting the worst would be south of the M4 in general so areas such as East Anglia would largely miss the worst of it. Going by the reports over southern counties the winds speeds forecast by the models and the Metoffice, and hence pretty much everybody on here then it looks like the event was actually well predicted and not as some say over-hyped.

Here is a BBC news report by the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35516741

The main risk area was primarily SW England and around the Bristol Channel with south counties also facing severe gales which was the outcome in the end. 

As for the Fens, well nothing of note, that said I expected that as I was north of the risk area. Now can we all be friends again now, especially with the potential for colder weather with the risk of snow over the coming week. :)

Edited by Captain Shortwave
Removing the unnecessary large spaces
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Dying right down here now, The wind have turned, we are mostly sheltered from the wnw.

Sorry please ignore above Jimmyh problems with phone amd fourm. 

Decided to walk the 2.5 miles home after work too see what all the fuss really was all about, damn! Note to self never try walk it back during the tail end of storm.

Very very windy although dieing down now as forcast, large bit of gutter or something from the roof was off as I approached the little village I live in

All in all a very "lively" couple of days weather wise for sure

Posted
21 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

There was one 1987 reference in a tongue in cheek manner yesterday evening.

You have picked up on one post out of dozens to back up your view that the event was "over-hyped". Now in reality the expectation was that there would be 60-70mph gusts across southern counties.

This was the hi-res GFS output from yesterday evening posted by me

24-289UK.GIF?07-12

This actually disagreed with other models suggesting the worst would be south of the M4 in general so areas such as East Anglia would largely miss the worst of it. Going by the reports over southern counties the winds speeds forecast by the models and the Metoffice, and hence pretty much everybody on here then it looks like the event was actually well predicted and not as some say over-hyped.

Here is a BBC news report by the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35516741

The main risk area was primarily SW England and around the Bristol Channel with south counties also facing severe gales which was the outcome in the end. 

As for the Fens, well nothing of note, that said I expected that as I was north of the risk area. Now can we all be friends again now, especially with the potential for colder weather with the risk of snow over the coming week. :)

Of course it wasn't just one post that suggested this storm could be close to 1987:

17 hours ago, Alpine glow said:

I totally resonate. Occasionally it's a constant roar. It makes me want to stay up to see what happens. I doubt if it will be like 87 (if it is no doubt I'll wake up) but I know what you mean by feeling it could possibly become close

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Stop turning up just to be a pedantic plank that spoils the thread for others, you sound like a nappy wetter with  a bone & a grudge.

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, ihatecoldweather said:

Of course it wasn't just one post that suggested this storm could be close to 1987:

Remember these from a mere few hours ago:

I don't think I was the only one to point this out to you either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
Just now, ihatecoldweather said:

And as I explained in depth earlier (many times), you took it completely out of context.  We were talking about how the storm felt, the ambience of it.  

"I know, I keep telling myself that it'll just be a normal storm but this one feels different. That "otherness" which, looking back, I can remember on the eve of the 1987. Maybe I've just had too much red wine though. "

Me:  " I know what you mean by feeling it could become possibly close"  

The very short banter was how we thought it felt different to other storms in the past because it was so fierce last night.  That's where I was going with it anyway.  Not once did I think it would be like 1987 of which I remember very well which is why I stated that "I doubt if it will be like 87" <---- you keep glossing over that bit.

Sorry to confuse you but you took me way out of context.  And the guy I was talking too.  In fact the whole conversation.  But... you know that.

Please can you stop quoting me in future as you totally misunderstood me.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, ihatecoldweather said:

Okay we get the point, no need to bring it up any further. 

Look at the models and decide for yourself whether something holds truth or not no need to target certain folk a gut feeling is just that is it not? 

Settle down... :) Ta

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

This must be wrong.

Flip knows where the wind speeds derive from!

image.thumb.jpeg.eb8f44aa01635c2e43ebcea

Some very strong gusts here in Thurrock atm. I have no way of measuring wind speed other than by wheelie bin flight across the garden!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

play nicely please folks......a couple of posters are getting quite close to the mark........by all means agree to disagree where necessary but let's all please refrain from making petty arguments into something more significant...no one wants that....cheers :)

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Cor.. Was a bigon looks like an old oak to me.. Just up the road from me

Screenshot_2016-02-08-18-03-51.thumb.png

Screenshot_2016-02-08-18-03-59.thumb.png

Is that your back garden, @Surrey ? :rofl: