Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 2nd February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, TheGate said:

I chose it! I love snow, and when we decided to move to Kent, I looked for height. 1 or 2c doesn't make a difference in the Summer, but can make all the difference in the Winter. In December 2010, we had a monster snowfall, when about 12 miles (as the crow flies) in Central London there was nothing.

Hoping for a small covering tonight.

I used to live in Halstead 15 years ago, now I live just outside Sevenoaks. You can see actually see the snowline when driving up Star Hill to Knockholt / Halstead. The extra 250 feet makes a huge snow difference in marginal situations. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summer, cold winters.
6 minutes ago, paget said:

I'm to the west of london so I was going to say I needed a suck to bring it over here but I don't think I will now!!!!! :unsure2: ha ha! 

:rofl:

Posted

A big shout out to the local council who haven't fixed the street lamp nearest my house making me strain my neck to the next lamp nearest to see a snowflake.  And I use the phrase "a snowflake" quite literally.

firstworldproblems

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Houston, we have lift off!  Snowing here now, decent intensity actually, but not settling yet.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, SnowBorder said:

I used to live in Halstead 15 years ago, now I live just outside Sevenoaks. You can see actually see the snowline when driving up Star Hill to Knockholt / Halstead. The extra 250 feet makes a huge snow difference in marginal situations. 

I've seen it. I drove around the M25 in Jan 2011, and the snow line was around 100m. You could see the transition up the hill, with the snow settling on the top of some trees, but not at the bottom. Whether it is global warming or just our warped views of winters past, I wanted to give myself the best chance of seeing some snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I wonder what effect the Thames Estuary will have on PPN strength.

Posted
5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Prepare to change your user name to Deflated Daniel:oops:Cold here with coldness.:drunk-emoji:

Or Dastardly Daniel! 

1 minute ago, suffolkboy_ said:

I would hardly call Bury St Edmunds coastal! I'm over 15 miles east of Bury St Edmunds and it's been snowing here in the past hour. Now 0.5C and the next shower incoming.

Looks like the showers are going to fade a bit soon before picking up again after midnight. Anyone east of a line very roughly from Kings Lynn to Brighton I would say has a chance between now and tomorrow morning of seeing at least something.

Sorry my geography is poor in that region I must have got it confused with another location, well in 50-100 years time it may be getting towards coastal due to coastal erosion. 

I'm delighted that this thread is alive again :good:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I'm delighted that this thread is alive again :good:

Pathetic isn't it.  A small flurry of snow and we're all excited and staring out the window!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms
Just now, Southender said:

Looks like the ppn is skirting me here in Southend. Typical. Still waiting for a flake...

Thats two of us then mate, haha

Posted
4 minutes ago, TheGate said:

I've seen it. I drove around the M25 in Jan 2011, and the snow line was around 100m. You could see the transition up the hill, with the snow settling on the top of some trees, but not at the bottom. Whether it is global warming or just our warped views of winters past, I wanted to give myself the best chance of seeing some snow.

I suspect the snow line will be there tomorrow. I always notice it just before the corner at Star Hill.

About 8 /9 years ago, I drove back from Bromley and it was snowing heavily in Badgers mount / Halstead and quickly setting, but I when I got to the bottom of Polhill, it was just rain. No sign of snow at all. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Doesnt seem to be so much coming off the water across Norfolk and Suffolk the last 30mins or so, will it pep up again or is that it? haha

Had a few sleety spots here but nothing else so far 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
6 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Light snow

Greenhithe !

shiver me timbers....

Nothing here yet in central Gravesend upstream from you- what are your expectations for our area of NW kent?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
34 minutes ago, SnowBorder said:

That is so true. Used to live in Chelsfield/Orpington South and the difference between there and going up Rushmore Hill to Knockholt was immense. I tried to move up to Knockholt but the missus wouldn't have it and from a schooling perspective we ended up in Locksbottom which is only about 280ft asl as opposed to Knockholt which is 600ft+ asl. One day I will get up there to improve my snow chances!!  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Nothing here yet in central Gravesend upstream from you- what are your expectations for our area of NW kent?

a few flurries & a couple of moderate flurries in those

no settling here

maybe up higher

s

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

The odd flake in the air here too.